Corresponding Icons

I hope I am missing something here but I find this Mapsource software the pits!!! I am using the most recent version of it and I am doing a lot of work with waypoints I have imported from a different brand of GPS. Mapsource shows only a fraction of the available icons that are on my unit (60/76CSx) and a whole sh*t load of icons that are not. How am i supposed to know which icon is what and what will appear on my GPSr if I select an icon that it doesn't use? You would think the industry leader would have better developed software and no generic crap!

My Mapsource Maps sure have a lot of icons to choose from, so I guess I don't understand the problem you are having. And, you can create custom icons for unique places, like a specific brand of gas station. Do a Search of the Forums to see some cool examples of those.

I hope I am missing something here but I find this Mapsource software the pits!!! I am using the most recent version of it and I am doing a lot of work with waypoints I have imported from a different brand of GPS. Mapsource shows only a fraction of the available icons that are on my unit (60/76CSx) and a whole sh*t load of icons that are not. How am i supposed to know which icon is what and what will appear on my GPSr if I select an icon that it doesn't use? You would think the industry leader would have better developed software and no generic crap!

I agree there are a lot of icons on MapSource that aren't on the GPSr, but I think all the icons that are on my GPSr are in MapSource. I didn't do an exhaustive search, some of them are in different categories in MapSource, but they are there.

My Mapsource Maps sure have a lot of icons to choose from, so I guess I don't understand the problem you are having. And, you can create custom icons for unique places, like a specific brand of gas station. Do a Search of the Forums to see some cool examples of those.

Let me elaborate: While working in Mapsource, I see an icon that suits a waypoint so I select it. When I upload it to the unit, a different icon is displayed because the GPSr doesn't have that icon. The reverse is also true. When I download a waypoint from the GPSr, it is displayed in mapsource as something different that the GPSr since Mapsource doesn't contain all the icons in the GPSr - and I am not talking about custom icons. Hmmmm

At a quick glance, there are 31 rows of icons in my 60 CSx, with six in each. That makes 186. But it's not true, since the same icon is represented more than once, in different categories.

In Mapsource, there are 249 icons, plus you can make 64 on your own.

I haven't had any problems with missing icons in one version or the other, but I see that there are icons I on one side, which I can't find on the other.

It hasn't been any problem to me, but it seems reasonable to expect that they synchronize them over time.

I 2nd this annoyance - a recent version of MapSource added the Hunting icons (in prep for the upcoming Garmin Astro I presume...), but my 60CSx GPSr doesn't have those in its firmware (yet?!?!?...), so you have to manually add them as Customs or you don't get what you're expecting....

-RenHoek