Need HELP installing Mobireader on Axim x30 (Desperate!)

TomboyTex

I've been fighting this for DAYS! Tried to install MibiReader on my PalmOne-type thing that I used to use with Weight Watchers on the Go. Total failure! They wanted $25 just to talk to me! <_< NOW I've tried it on the Axim...but to no avail! I'm just tired of fighting with this technology! GRRRRR!

Now that I've gotten it off of my chest...is there anyone out there who'd be willing to either talke me through the process of installing onto the Axim OR...give me very specific directions?

I've actually whipped out my out-of-date laptop and am updating virus protection but I'd really like to use the Axim when I don't want to mess with the laptop.

I've been fighting this for DAYS! Tried to install MibiReader on my PalmOne-type thing that I used to use with Weight Watchers on the Go. Total failure! They wanted $25 just to talk to me! <_< NOW I've tried it on the Axim...but to no avail! I'm just tired of fighting with this technology! GRRRRR!

Now that I've gotten it off of my chest...is there anyone out there who'd be willing to either talke me through the process of installing onto the Axim OR...give me very specific directions?

I've actually whipped out my out-of-date laptop and am updating virus protection but I'd really like to use the Axim when I don't want to mess with the laptop.

All you should need to do is install the mobi software on your main computer then connect your axim to your computer using the doc or cable (make sure to have active sync installed). Open mobi when your axim is connected and it should prompt you to install the software on your axim.

The link for the download of the desktop version is here:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/...tailsReader.asp

Also - if you are going for paperless caching - try out GPX Sonar. It is free and linked off of the resource page. All you do is copy the .GPX file from a pocket query over to the Axim and then open in GPX Sonar. Looks a lot like the web site - only portable.

The first thing I noticed is that you mentioned a Palm Device and Pocket PC device. Be sure to install the Pocket PC version on the Pocket PC device. You run that on your laptop. Then it installs to your PDA. Which means you need to be connected via Activesync to the laptop...

I've used Mobireader. It worked ok.

GPX Sonar works much better. It works on Windows Mobile 2003 SE though. Check the X30 to make sure it's using that version of the Operating system.

GPX Sonar works much better. It works on Windows Mobile 2003 SE though. Check the X30 to make sure it's using that version of the Operating system.

I'm willing to give it a try. And, yes, I AM running WM 2003 SE. Can you give me some guidance on installing?

I'm willing to give it a try. And, yes, I AM running WM 2003 SE. Can you give me some guidance on installing?

Tomboy i already detailed how to install it for you

Yes, and I appreciate it. On the Mobireader site, they didn't bother to say that I had to actually START the program on my desktop before it would detect the Axim so that hint is most helpful. Thanks.

Things are NOW complicated, however, by the fact that Renegade Knight has recommended GPXSonar over and above Mobireader. THEN...if the decision weren't already hard enough...Miragee has been kind enough to point me in yet anOTHER direction (PPC version of Cachemate).

So, here I sit with THREE choices! At 60...ONE choice is sometimes hard enough! :laughing:

Perhaps I should take a poll...

Mobi is scratched. Since I can't seem to find installation instructions for the GPXSonar, I'd just as well scratch that, too! BLAST!

Cachemate, huh? Let's hope that some directions (when I go there) JUMP out and hit me in the head AND...that I have enough sense to follow 'em!

In the meantime, my laptop is finally updated to the point that IT'S usable. What a hoot! I've decided that shootin' pistols (IDPA type) is WAY easier than gettin' started in geocachin'...if ya' want to go paperless, at least! :laughing:

Thanks, StarBrand! Just what I needed was anOTHER choice in the mix!

Can YOU give me directions for GPXSonar? I'll go with that but need some guidance. Download 1.4 or 1.5? AND...after dnload, HOW?

YIKES!! My cup overfloweth with complication!

Yes, and I appreciate it. On the Mobireader site, they didn't bother to say that I had to actually START the program on my desktop before it would detect the Axim so that hint is most helpful. Thanks.

Things are NOW complicated, however, by the fact that Renegade Knight has recommended GPXSonar over and above Mobireader. THEN...if the decision weren't already hard enough...Miragee has been kind enough to point me in yet anOTHER direction (PPC version of Cachemate).

So, here I sit with THREE choices! At 60...ONE choice is sometimes hard enough! :laughing:

Perhaps I should take a poll...

GPXSonar is free to use, but suggest you pay if you like it.

Cachemate costs.

Mobireader works, is free, but much more cumbesome to use than GPXsonar.

I don't know Cachemate enough to say if it's worth the price over sending some Money to GPXsonar.

The Dell though will install them all and hopefully Cachemate has a trial period. Then you can us them all and see what you like.

Well, as soon as either the GpsSonar site OR the administrator (?) sends me a link OR...some directions, I'll definitely give IT a try. And, I don't mind donating toward their cause IF it installs and works easily. (I've sent him a PM...I think...asking for directions.)

I've noticed a pretty common mistake throughout most forums I've been on (NOT geocaching-specific). It is that too many folks ASSUME that everyone is as PPC familiar/comfortable as they are. WRONG! Some of us really DO need a bit more help and don't feel comfortable trying one thing...then another...and another.

Edited by TomboyTex

It has been a while since I installed GPX Sonar on my Pocket PC, but I believe it install like all the rest. You install it on your computer and then attach your Pocket PC to the computer. When you sync it should install on the Pocket PC. I use GPX view which is an older and less robust software, but my Pocked PC is using an older version of windows CE which will not support all the new upgraded software.

:laughing:

Thanks, guys! When things calm down over here...later in the day...I'll give it a whirl!! Really appreciate your willingness to help me out. I've just gotten to the point where I'm tired of fightin' with it! Spent don't know how long reading support stuff from both Dell and Palm and I felt totally inundated and overwhelmed.

This "old woman" says "Thanks a HEAP!"