Is there really only 1 cache near Wasaga Beach?

guiderchachi

I am going to Wasaga Beach for an August wedding. I'll only be there for a couple of days but would like to log a cache in Ontario (I'm from Newfoundland). I have only found one in the area. Are there more? Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance.

Guiderchachi

There's about 30 in the next town to the west, Collingwood. It's only about another 10 or 15 minutes down the road from Wasaga.

There are at least 90 within a 45km radius. I have family in the area if you are looking for someone to cache with I could be convinced. <_<

edited 'cause I forgot to get rid of the stoopid parking coords that keep getting mapped. bwmick

Edited by bwmick

Looks like there is only one (GCMN8Z) that is very close to the main part of Wasaga Beach. It's an okay cache to find, but nothing you'd want to take pictures of. By the way, you may know that Wasaga Beach is the longest fresh water beach in the world, but there are many different beaches with different names. Go up north a bit to Woodland Beach (same stretch of sand, different name) for GC10745 (Captain Jack's Treasure). I haven't found that one yet because it is new, but it gets you away from the "teeming humanity" part to some nicer beaches, I think.

GCJ1BQ (Birds Eye View) is in nearby Tiny Marsh, and that's a nice place to visit.

A little further to the north-east is Wyevale. Look for caches in this area by JDandDD. Their caches are typically nice walks in forests. Usually not too long to walk, but also not park and grabs. Also Wyebridge.

Going the other way, somebody already suggested Collingwood. Once you get into this area you are in the Niagara Escarpment zone. Here you can find caches with serious views (and usually good hikes) and also crevasses and caves. There's lots in this area, so if you think you want to daytrip into this area, just ask and I am sure you will get lots of suggestions of really good caches.

Wow, thank you all so much. It makes my research easier. I will pass this thread onto my dad who I have recently introduced to caching and will also be at the wedding. We may get time to go together as I won't have a vehicle.

danoshimano, I guess what goes around, comes around. I have posted some replies for your "Dream Vacation" search and now you have helped me!

Thanks, one and all,

Guiderchachi

I have done many of the Collingwood area caches (and will be doing more next weekend with my Cubs when we head up there from Waterloo for our camp). The one that is in the general area that you MUST do is at the top of Metcalfe Rock (GCKK3P). It is an amazing area with the crevace and trails. Its not a difficult place for the young ones to hike (my youngest was 7 last year when we took him) but watch them near the cache area as there is a mightly cliff drop off if you wander off trail. Trust me, one of the nicest easy caches in the area.

Alot of caches go missing in that area, and there isn't a lot of places that are out of the eyes of scores of muggles. I say Collingwood is a good idea as well. Give him a taste of mountain hiking in the same day as sandy beaches and tequila!

Been a long time since I had Tequila. I guess any liquid will do when caching...might make the numbers on the GPS hard to read though!

Guiderchachi

Alot of caches go missing in that area, and there isn't a lot of places that are out of the eyes of scores of muggles. I say Collingwood is a good idea as well. Give him a taste of mountain hiking in the same day as sandy beaches and tequila!

Been a long time since I had Tequila. I guess any liquid will do when caching...might make the numbers on the GPS hard to read though!

Might also be the reason many of the caches there get archived without ever being "found"

Most of Wasaga Beach that is not residential or private property is designated as provincial parkland. Ontario Parks does not allow cache placement. If Ontario Parks ever allows caches you see many caches placed in Wasaga as there are many beautiful spots along trails where caches can be hidden.

Most of Wasaga Beach that is not residential or private property is designated as provincial parkland. Ontario Parks does not allow cache placement. If Ontario Parks ever allows caches you see many caches placed in Wasaga as there are many beautiful spots along trails where caches can be hidden.

This is an area where the "don't leave the trail" rule is critical. In lots of areas, you will find that trails through vegetated areas are pure sand. (Like all the trails, they are scars on the landscape, but in this case there is pure sand underneath rather than soil.) I've seen places where trails literally pour out at the end. Bushwhacking to find a cache would devestate this fragile environment.

This is an area where the "don't leave the trail" rule is critical. In lots of areas, you will find that trails through vegetated areas are pure sand. (Like all the trails, they are scars on the landscape, but in this case there is pure sand underneath rather than soil.) I've seen places where trails literally pour out at the end. Bushwhacking to find a cache would devestate this fragile environment.

Ya, and just up river you have to deal with quicksand!

We're going to be visiting the Toronto area in about two weeks from the Nevada high desert. One of the day trips we have planned is to the Severn Sound area. That is about 20 miles north-east of Wasaga Beach. In planning for the trip I did a query that was filtered to 2.5/2.5 and below caches that have been found within the last thirty days. The query was a ten mile radius with the center of the query being the lighthouse point at Victoria Harbour. It ended up with 42 caches.

We're going to be visiting the Toronto area in about two weeks from the Nevada high desert. One of the day trips we have planned is to the Severn Sound area. That is about 20 miles north-east of Wasaga Beach. In planning for the trip I did a query that was filtered to 2.5/2.5 and below caches that have been found within the last thirty days. The query was a ten mile radius with the center of the query being the lighthouse point at Victoria Harbour. It ended up with 42 caches.

Thanks for the info but I am now at home, safely returned. I was in Wasaga this past weekend and between wedding, visiting, shopping, socializing, etc., we managed to do the new Earth Cache and Capt. Jack's Treasure. Both excellent caches and well worth the trip!

Guiderchachi