Placing my first cache

Gadget_Cacher

I have an idea for a multi cache that would take people around to some of my favorite places in the area i live.

It will probably be a 20-30 mile route to hit all the locations, but you would end up at a beautiful swimming hole where you could take a dip at the end. The final cache would have some good swag in it and the locations alone would be well worth the visit.

How many of you would enjoy something like this?

Something like that would definitely go on my to do list, but whether or not I would ever get around to doing it is the question (some caches have been on my to-do list for years).

Generally speaking, long multis (or any multis) don't get a lot if hits. People tend to ignore them.

How about something like this? Place a series of individual caches at your favorite places with a "mystery/puzzle" cache at the swimming hole. People would need to visit each of the other caches

to get a part of the coordinates for the final cache.

This allows those who are interested to find the entire series and those who just want to find one or two can do that too.

BW...each location would have a micro cache to log your visit and give you the coordinates of the next location. So actually it seems like i was sort of thinking of it like Brian suggested, but he took it a step further.

Yup, that would make it more appealing to me. I'll admit that I didn't actually brians post. :huh:

Here is a good example of a cache where you get to find seven other caches, for which you get credit. Then, using the information in each of them, you can solve the Puzzle, so you get eight "smilies" for your efforts. :huh:

That cache takes you all over San Diego County, covering way more than 20-30 miles . . . faint.gif

how would i post a mystery/puzzle cache on gc.com?

Edit:

Let me clarify that a bit...since its a puzzle and i wouldn't want to give the coordinates out in that cache how to i submit it for review and such?

You create bogus coordinates on the page within 2 miles of the actual cache. When submitting the cache you add the actual coordintes as an invisible additonal waypoint. You and the reviewer can see them but nobody else.

...How many of you would enjoy something like this?

I would only do this if it were the last cache in my area. If you placed them as regular caches, I would soon learn that you had good taste and I would seek out your caches over those of others.

But I'm just not a fan of the multi cache. I like finding them. Not running a rats maze.

Like BrianSnat pointed out, Kiss applies. The simpler your cache the more people who will find it.

Every now and then one rises to the top. A must do cache that people will do in spite of any complexity because they learn it's well worth it. Those are rare.

Well the purpose really inst to be complicated. The main thing i was thinking is it would take you to some really nice areas. Some that people have probably been to before and some that people probably have never heard of. Also the caches would have other activities you could do once you have found the cache such as golf at a near by course, fish, hike, swim, bike, etc.

The reason i want to make it the way i am thinking is because a family or a single person could make a full day out of each location and when they finally found the last cache they would have some nice swag and a great place to swim and be with the family.

There isn't a single place that i would put that an out doorsy person wouldn't appreciate. Some of these places are wonderful fishing spots that you rarely see any one at. My friend is a fishing magnet and he has taking me to some of these places and they are beautiful and a lot of fun. Also it would help you to learn about a specific river in my area and find many points that some might not know was part of the same river.

So all around it would be a great experience i think.

I have an idea for a multi cache that would take people around to some of my favorite places in the area i live.

It will probably be a 20-30 mile route to hit all the locations, but you would end up at a beautiful swimming hole where you could take a dip at the end. The final cache would have some good swag in it and the locations alone would be well worth the visit.

Providing your proposed cache didnt take more than about 4 hours and there wasnt a load of other caches in the area.

But also, when we travel to an area we like to hit as many caches as we can, we usually dont bother with puzzle caches as they usually consume too much time.

We often travel a few hundred Km from home, and hit a specific area. Last year I had the opportunity to travelled 1500Km from home to visit my grandparents and managed to go and hit 10 caches with both my 80+ yo grandparents. They loved it, going from one to another, We left at daylight and even took stuff and had a Barbeque lunch, and got home just after dark!

Providing your proposed cache didnt take more than about 4 hours and there wasn't a load of other caches in the area.

But also, when we travel to an area we like to hit as many caches as we can, we usually don't bother with puzzle caches as they usually consume too much time.

We often travel a few hundred Km from home, and hit a specific area. Last year I had the opportunity to travelled 1500Km from home to visit my grandparents and managed to go and hit 10 caches with both my 80+ yo grandparents. They loved it, going from one to another, We left at daylight and even took stuff and had a Barbeque lunch, and got home just after dark!

A cache of this nature wouldn't be for you...you seem more into finding as many caches as you can in a certain period of time. The point of the cache that i am devising is to enjoy your surroundings and take you places you may not have ever been. Its about spending time in nature and learning about the river.

If finding as many caches as you can in x amount of time is your thing thats great, but that is not why i geocache. I geocache because the adventure of it is wonderful and the areas it takes you are great.

Plus this puzzle cache would not be hard get the coordinates from the other cahces then bam you are at the end with a great place to swim and spend quality time with your family/geocaching partner.