Bomb squad responds in Spokane

Moun10Bike

...you guessed it, a geocache. A short blurb is here:

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=6488...p;nav=menu438_1

I expect there will be more of a story later.

It looks like it was one of the caches on the Spokane Cache Machine 2:

Dinner and a Movie: Star Wars: Ep IV - A New Hope

Nice cache page but a stupid location.....

Hmm...I wondered about that cache and even put it in my log that I didn't think it belonged.... I figured it should have been removed. Too bad it was by the authorities and has now shone geocaching in a poor light.

My sister called me last night from Pets's pizza saying her friends husband just arrived on the scene and it was a cache... (He is part of Spokane SWAT). She called to tell me she thinks I am even more of a dork now than she did before <_<

I have found a magnetic nano before under a mailbox and did not think anything of it. I have a new opinion now...

But my sister is probably right about the being a dork thing (this proves it... http://www.lost.eu/41994)

Cache on!

Keep your eyes out for a new ::LOST:: cache hidden in the Northwest. Good FTF prizes!!!

Since you can scroll to the bottom of the cache page and see who published it, why did you ask the question?

Be that as it may, since nowhere on the cache page does it say it's on a mailbox, no reviewer would have known what the cache was hidden on/in/under...I know I certainly didn't until I got there.

Edited by Allanon

Since you can scroll to the bottom of the cache page and see who published it, why did you ask the question?

Be that as it may, since nowhere on the cache page does it say it's on a mailbox, no reviewer would have known what the cache was hidden on/in/under...I know I certainly didn't until I got there.

You know what...nevermind.I was going to ask some questions is all.

And yes,I realized that after I posted.

Edited by vtmtnman

Even the archived notes to the reviewer only say that the cache was on an "R2D2 box". You would have to be familiar with the USPS/Star Wars cross-promotion to have an inkling that it was a mailbox painted to look like R2D2.

A reminder for anyone out there. Tampering with the mail is a federal offense, tampering with a mailbox is a federal offense. Placing a cache container on a mailbox can and has been considered tampering.

It's a bad idea, don't do it.

If it is a collection box, which I assume is what we are speaking of, yes, that could be a problem. If it is a mailbox serviced by the postal service, like the one in front of your house, it could also be a problem. Nothing should be in it or touching it but official mail. If it is a (dead) mailbox, something that is not serviced nor would be opened by a mailman, that should not be a problem. In such a case you can always put "not a mailbox" or "Dead Box" on it just to be safe.

So what was the attatched cache? Just a key box?

A reminder for anyone out there. Tampering with the mail is a federal offense, tampering with a mailbox is a federal offense. Placing a cache container on a mailbox can and has been considered tampering.

It's a bad idea, don't do it.

If it is a collection box, which I assume is what we are speaking of, yes, that could be a problem. If it is a mailbox serviced by the postal service, like the one in front of your house, it could also be a problem. Nothing should be in it or touching it but official mail. If it is a (dead) mailbox, something that is not serviced nor would be opened by a mailman, that should not be a problem. In such a case you can always put "not a mailbox" or "Dead Box" on it just to be safe.

So what was the attatched cache? Just a key box?

It was (is) an active collection box on the sidewalk in a commercial area. Cache was a key box on the underside. The mailbox was painted to look like R2D2 from Star Wars - it was quite spiffy!

I was watching the "In Case You Missed It" news highlights on Spokane's NBC affiliate this morning from my motel room in Moses Lake -- there was a segment showing live footage of the mailbox and a description of the "tense moments" before the geocache was discovered to be something harmless, along with the other news highlights of the past week :(

I was watching the "In Case You Missed It" news highlights on Spokane's NBC affiliate this morning from my motel room in Moses Lake -- there was a segment showing live footage of the mailbox and a description of the "tense moments" before the geocache was discovered to be something harmless, along with the other news highlights of the past week :(

Did they find the secret plans? You know... the plans to the INLAND Empires "Secret Weapon" that were stashed there by the Rebel Alliance?

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

I was watching the "In Case You Missed It" news highlights on Spokane's NBC affiliate this morning from my motel room in Moses Lake -- there was a segment showing live footage of the mailbox and a description of the "tense moments" before the geocache was discovered to be something harmless, along with the other news highlights of the past week :)

Did they find the secret plans? You know... the plans to the INLAND Empires "Secret Weapon" that were stashed there by the Rebel Alliance?

Rebel Alliance you say?? I sense a disturbance in the force...

FYI: I was called at work by the Police Department during the incident. Unfortunately, I was out of the office all week for a funeral and just today got the message. I called back and talked to them and and now I discover that I am the 'official person to contact' if there are any more 'incidents' like this. :) Not sure if this is good or bad... :ph34r:

Actually I imagine that a real contact might be helpful to the police in the future. I am very happy that my Cache Machine Event notification was well received by the City Police and County Sheriff -sounds like there were a few 'incidents' that day that went very smoothly due to that.

Hopefully the next incident will happen when I am actually here to help.