Logs using slight profanity and UGH....ALL CAPS!

There is an area cacher that uses some mild profanity in his logs and always, always types in all caps for everything; logs, caches titles, cache descriptions. I emailed a cache owner once to ask that he email the cacher and have him edit his log for profanity and it was edited, but the cacher doesn't get the subtle hints to stop using all caps. I don't even want to do any of his caches, because I hate reading all caps in the descriptions and such. I wondered what other people think. The newest log uses su** a** , da** , p**p. I'm really tired of it.

There's no law against using ALLCAPS, so social pressure is the only available alternative.

Potty language, on the other hand, can warrant involvement by a volunteer cache reviewer. It is one of the very very few instances in which a reviewer will get involved with logging practices, which normally are at the owner's discretion. But potty language is a site TOU issue.

Skip the subtle hints and just come right out and say it.

There are two possible explanations for his behavior:

1) He honestly doesn't understand that it is bad form and annoying. Some people just don't get hints.

2) He got the hint but just doesn't care. If that's the case I'd just ignore him and his caches as best I could.

As for the profanity thing, I think that it is up to each individual cache owner as to whether or not they want to request that he edit his logs or whether they just delete them or leave them as is.

Engineers often type in all caps since they work in all caps. They were doing that long before the internet came along and someone invented "Gee all caps is yelling". If I write you a hand written letter. Guess what. It's all caps.

As for profanity. Such is life. I find the forums tolerate less than the FCC does on TV. Cache logs should probably tolerate more.

However I think you are right. You should probably not do his caches. You will feel better.

My dad writes all his emails in all caps. I told him that it was bad "netiquette", but he didn't care...he said it's easier on his old eyes to read. Oh well...I'll get over it.

Edited by Stunod

We have a cacher at home who is notorious for all caps.However he doesn't use profanities at all in his logs.I don't really mind reading his logs,as it's like his signature thing... :huh: HE TYPES LIKE THIS!!!!!With alot of caps and exclamation points.He's a really cool guy...Haven't met him yet but he's been taking care of my cache for me.

Now if everyone started typing in caps,yes,I would find that annoying.So my take on the situation is all caps-just live with it.Profanity-That's unacceptable in public logs.If it's in the TOU then he's bound by those.I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there about all caps however.

Edited by vtmtnman

There is an area cacher that uses some mild profanity in his logs and always, always types in all caps for everything; logs, caches titles, cache descriptions. I emailed a cache owner once to ask that he email the cacher and have him edit his log for profanity and it was edited, but the cacher doesn't get the subtle hints to stop using all caps. I don't even want to do any of his caches, because I hate reading all caps in the descriptions and such. I wondered what other people think. The newest log uses su** a** , da** , p**p. I'm really tired of it.

The actuall problem is your perception of the all caps. Is it REALLY annoying (like how,,,,to your eyes or something) or is annoying cuz YOU think it's yelling or poor manners. You can use caps to emphasize language as in my post, or it may be like the above poster mentioned about all caps and engineers. I personnally think people make alot of thier own problems, and tend to think the worst for most things. This is only MHO and I'm not baggin on ya,,,but if you just take things a little less serious and not pay so much attention to the little things you might live alot less stressed life. For ex. if the guys has good info and is helpfull despite his potty mouth. Is he sincere and not directing harmfull words towards others. I say let him alone. Of course I have a little different view on manners and language. At my house you can wear a hat at the dinner table if you like and use most any language as long as you remember the kids are here. :huh:

It's been mentioned to him and hinted at more than once about the all caps, and I do think he will just continue to do it anyway. I mostly try to ignore it. I just don't appreciate the profanity and I think he even has a younger than middle school daughter that caches with him sometimes. She probably never reads cache pages and doesn't log her own caches, but I know of several children with their own profiles that will read the logs. I'm not a prude, I just don't think it's appropriate when there is a possibility of young people reading the logs. If he ever logs any of my caches I will let him know immediately if there is anything that needs to be edited for bad taste.

Hmmm....

"Poop" is a bad word? I think I've even heard nuns say "poop" in front of children. There are children's books that use the word poop. I'll admit, it isn't a word that I use regularly, much less in a log - and I've encountered some disgusting conditions at a couple of cache sites!

While I understand some level of concern about some of the other words and what is perhaps excessive use of them, they are all words readily heard on TV - and that is only to say that, perhaps sadly, they have moved into the realm of not being the offensive words they once were - at least according to current social standards. I'd agree that it is immature and likely not necessary, but if he is really that out of line, the gc community will provide that feedback to him (her?).

If you feel strongly about it, a politely worded message to that user directly is appropriate. Otherwise you do have a choice to avoid reading that user's caches and logs.

Now if he was spouting off from George Carlin's list of seven dirty words, I'd immediately report him to Groundspeak. Same goes for racist, sexist, or otherwise discriminatory language.

I too hate ALL CAPS and I have politely messaged cache owners about it being hard to read.

..."Poop" is a bad word? ....

I've never really understood what make one word bad when another word meaning the same thing is just fine. It's only different by the perceptin of being bad and not by actual meaning.

Sometimes I swear they must be the power words from the orginal Ur language.

I agree with Renegade, many times I have wondered who decides which words are not acceptable. Society seems to deem certain words unacceptable to say or write, yet these are often the same people using such language.

I used to work on a feedlot where it is very common to hear and use swear words (I often noticed that the cattle only moved when one was yelling expletives). After that experience, I tend to have trouble not saying those same words in my personal life. However, I don't believe that I have ever really felt the need to write them down in a log. It is pretty easy to proof read and change those words in written form, little more difficult when it is just coming out of your mouth.

What was the person's response when you emailed them and told them their language bothered you?

Engineers often type in all caps since they work in all caps. They were doing that long before the internet came along and someone invented "Gee all caps is yelling". If I write you a hand written letter. Guess what. It's all caps.
HEY! I'M AN ENGINEER! CAN YOU TELL? :( THE NICE THING ABOUT TYPING IN CAPS IS THAT YOU NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT WORDS TO CAPITALIZE. MOST OF US ENGINEERS WEREN'T THAT GOOD IN ENGLISH CLASS SO THIS SOLVED THAT ISSUE FOR US. MATH WAS OUR BAILIWICK. :huh:
HEY! I'M AN ENGINEER! CAN YOU TELL? :( THE NICE THING ABOUT TYPING IN CAPS IS THAT YOU NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT WORDS TO CAPITALIZE. MOST OF US ENGINEERS WEREN'T THAT GOOD IN ENGLISH CLASS SO THIS SOLVED THAT ISSUE FOR US. MATH WAS OUR BAILIWICK. :huh:

It's funny. It looks good on plans. Looks a lot like yelling in a forum. Enthusiastic Yelling in your case. :(

HEY! I'M AN ENGINEER! CAN YOU TELL? :( THE NICE THING ABOUT TYPING IN CAPS IS THAT YOU NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT WORDS TO CAPITALIZE. MOST OF US ENGINEERS WEREN'T THAT GOOD IN ENGLISH CLASS SO THIS SOLVED THAT ISSUE FOR US. MATH WAS OUR BAILIWICK. :(

It's funny. It looks good on plans. Looks a lot like yelling in a forum. Enthusiastic Yelling in your case. :huh:

It does look like yelling. :( Edited by TrailGators

I think you need have a conversation with him and find out exactly where he is coming from. Address the issue specifically. As it was said, he may not know or he may not care. This is essential information for the next step.

Have a conversation with him and find out exactly where he is coming from. The only way to do this to address the issue specifically. As it was said, he may not know or he may not care. This is essential information for how you deal with it.

Hmmm....

"Poop" is a bad word? I think I've even heard nuns say "poop" in front of children. There are children's books that use the word poop. I'll admit, it isn't a word that I use regularly, much less in a log - and I've encountered some disgusting conditions at a couple of cache sites!

While I understand some level of concern about some of the other words and what is perhaps excessive use of them, they are all words readily heard on TV - and that is only to say that, perhaps sadly, they have moved into the realm of not being the offensive words they once were - at least according to current social standards. I'd agree that it is immature and likely not necessary, but if he is really that out of line, the gc community will provide that feedback to him (her?).

If you feel strongly about it, a politely worded message to that user directly is appropriate. Otherwise you do have a choice to avoid reading that user's caches and logs.

Now if he was spouting off from George Carlin's list of seven dirty words, I'd immediately report him to Groundspeak. Same goes for racist, sexist, or otherwise discriminatory language.

I too hate ALL CAPS and I have politely messaged cache owners about it being hard to read.

I completely agree with this post.

I probably would learn to not read this person's logs or not let it bug me.

I get packet messages in all caps from a ham using a dumb terminal.

I used to have such a terminal, called a TTY terminal. It has no lower case!

Maybe some people use an all caps machine on internet?

<snip>

Same here. All of my handwritten notes, etc. are in CAPS, mainly because my handwriting is otherwise sloppy. I guess I picked up this habit when I took drafting back in the "old days" of using a T-square, triangles, and so forth. Even though I'm in the medical field now, I still write that way.

what is su**?

I'm thinking if you tossed in a "c", followed by a "k", then added the a** word, it sounds like a Bart Simpson expletive. :(

Definitely not proper form in a public log, in my opinion.

Well if the word is suck, unless it IS coupled with another word (and I can think of half a dozen right off the top of my head :( ) it's not a cuss/curse/swear word.

As for da** and a**, I agree there is no need to pepper your online logs with these words whether you hear/use them every day or not.

Poop? Depending on the context it may be funny and it definitely sounds less offensive than excrement or feces. :huh:

Edit: My handwritten notes are all caps too.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

The OP would HATE to find this cache of mine, then!

But more importantly, have you replaced the wet log? :huh:

The OP would HATE to find this cache of mine, then!

But more importantly, have you replaced the wet log? :(

:huh::(:( I could just imagine the log for that one :(

I'm thinking no new log yet,as there's no maintanence log posted by said owner.... :D:D *hint* :D

[PREFATORY NOTE: Ignore the all ocurrences of 9's in the words the following note; they are used to ensure intelligibility. When reading my post below, please bear in mind that the automated forum software automatically converts all occurrences of the word "a9ss" in a post to "a**", converts all occurrences of the word "s9hit" to "s***", and also converts all ocurrrences of the word "dam9n" in a post to "dadgum". Because of this feature, a few lines in my post below may appear kinda funny!]

First, allow me to say that I personally find use of all caps very irritating, but I certainly do not care if an occasional logger enters a handwritten log entry or an online log entry in all caps, and I certainly do not mind if a cache owner decides to use all caps on their cache listing page; if it irritates me enough, I can always ignore their caches!

Next, I personally do not believe that strong profanity should appear on cache listing descriptions or in log entries, primarily because geocaching.com is a family-friendly site, but also because most persons find some of those words just plain offensive. However, to me, the operative key words in your earlier post (above) are "mild profanity". Personally, I feel that all of the words which you have cited are quite inane an inocuous, and are also encountered everywhere in everyday life (including in media), and thus I feel that NONE of these terms even begins to qualify as "mild profanity". In fact, for illustrative purposes, allow me to point out to you that almost every one of the terms which you have cited (except for the word "a**", which has, over the past 15 years been largely supplanted in common US English usage by the word "buns") appears in the names of numerous caches; some examples follow:

• There are an insanely huge number of caches which employ the terms "suck" or "sucks" in their titles, including one cache named "This Sucks".
  • There are no caches which seem to employ the term "a**" in their titles, but then again, the word "a**" has largely, in popular written and spoken English usage in the US, been supplanted by the term "buns" over the past 15 to 18 years. So, lets look at buns, shall we? It turns out that there are a number of caches with the term "buns" in their titles, including one named "Buns of Steel".
  • There are over 24 caches which use the word "dadgum" in their cache titles.
  • There are over 25 caches which use the word "poop" in their cache titles, including one named "No Place to Poop".
  • Since we were just speaking of poop above, that reminds me of a slightly stronger term for human offal, namely "s***". Let's look at s***, shall we? For the word "s***", there exist published caches which bear names like "s*** Happens".
  • And, all this talk about poop and s*** reminds me of another term sometimes used for offal, namely "crap". Turns out that there are literally hundreds of published geocaches which bear the terms "crap" or "crappy" in their titles, including one with the ALL CAPS title of "HAPPY CRAPPY"
  • Next, let's take a look at the word "bitch", since some few people claim that it is mild profanity (BTW, I personally hate the way some Americans use it as a hostile and derogatory reference to women, but my feelings about that usage alone do not necessarily make it profanity.) There are several caches which bear the word "bitch" in their titles, including one which I own, which is named "Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing".
  • Next, since I just know ( :(:(:(:huh: ) that you were aching to also include the word "hell" in your list of forbidden words, lets look at hell, shall we? It turns out that there are literally thousands of caches which use the term "hell" in their titles, including goodies such as "Hell's... Bells... Where Is It?" and "View to Hellfire"
  • Lastly, while we are looking at other supposedly forbidden words, lets look at the term "balls", shall we? It turns out that here are many caches which bear the word "balls" in their titles, including one cache in NJ which entails a very steep and rocky climb, and which is simply named "Balls!", and another named "Purple Balls", so named by the cache owner to commerate his recent surgery in that area of his anatomy.

So, I do not agree with you that those terms you cited qualify as even mild profanity, and I believe that you are trying to impress your own particularly unique and strict linguistic code upon others in the caching world, including your local cacher who uses those terms in his logs.

I also find it FASCINATING that you asked a cache owner, i.e., a third party, to approach this cacher in question and ask him to change a log entry. Would it not be far more clear, honest and direct -- if you really cannot just let go of the whole issue in the first place -- if you had simply approached the logger directly?

My own advice would be to just let go of the whole issue, rather than trying to control the logging behaviors of another person.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Wow...don't you think if you're tripping the profanity filter here in the forums that maybe you should tone your language down a bit instead of plugging 9's in there to bypass it?

Edited by Stunod

Wow...don't you think if you're tripping the profanity filter here in the forums that maybe you should tone your language down a bit instead of plugging 9's in there to bypass it?

My thoughts there, too, Stu.

As for the all-caps bit, I am an AutoCAD draftsman for an engineering company. Guess what? My keyboard is almost always in CAPS LOCK because everything on our plans, as stated by RK and several others, is in all caps. I usually try to turn it off before posing in the forums, but if you IM me, you're likely going to get caps. Caps are used on plans because they are easier to read, especially on a jobsite. And they are easier to read for the sight impaired. Just something to get used to. As for the profanity....it really doesn't have a place here.

Why? There are plenty of caches and cache listing pages which employ these terms regularly. That, in fact, was the point of my post.

Heh, I know who this individual is...not personally, just from caching in the area.

I think the CAPS LOCK thing is more of an iconic, trademark-like intention. Something he is doing to set himself apart.

I haven't noticed the language, but then again I've read few of his logs. As unfortunate as it is I imagine about the best you can expect is him to re-consider language in the future by shooting him a polite message.

I don't like all caps, or 'perceive' them to be annoying or whatever, but I don't think there's much you can do about it.

As for bad language, that should probably be looked at. Actually reading the opening post, I think I know who this is thread is about... I don't care for the way some of his logs are written, but he's far enough away I don't seem them much LOL. Most of their logs are ok (but in caps) but a few are... well they could be worded better?

(note: names have been replaced)

STF'S SUCK a**

THAT dadgum oooo DID'NT LOG RIGHT AWAY, SO I GOT HOME @5 AND THOUGHT I STILL HAD A CHANCE, SO I GRABBED ONE OF THE PAIR 'A IDJITS & OFF WE WENT.

NOT HARD AT ALL-SPOTTED IT RIGHT AWAY

RATCHET UP YER GAME PIMP-I'M STAYING ON YA TILL YA PUT OUT SOMETHING SICK! :huh:

T-CACHE CONTAINER

L-ooo TRADING CARD

oooo

CHRISTMAS CACHE

VIC GOT CAUGHT IN THE BARBED WIRE FENCE ALMOST LOST A TESTICLE. THAT WOULD BE A HELL OF A WEDDING NIGHT STORY FOR HIS FUTURE WIFE. HOW I LOST A NUT WITH oooo AND oooo AT THE BOYSCOUT CAMP.

oooo

(BTW, I personally hate the way some Americans use it as a hostile and derogatory reference to women, ...)...

I'm with you 100% on this new usage. Since some homeboy started spewing this on my kids school bus I had to educate them on what it's doing, what it makes the person using it worth (nothing just human slag) and that they should give the person no credence whatsoever. Women and Men are partners in this world, both have roles that are important. After 2000 years of crap, things are starting to balance out right, only to have this creep in the back door. It's spread by worthless human beings and I find it amazing that some women actually give these guys the time of day. It's an abomination. The only relationship any guy who thinks this way should have is with his hand, and evolution should relegate his DNA to dust.

(BTW, I personally hate the way some Americans use it as a hostile and derogatory reference to women, ...)...

I'm with you 100% on this new usage. Since some homeboy started spewing this on my kids school bus I had to educate them on what it's doing, what it makes the person using it worth (nothing just human slag) and that they should give the person no credence whatsoever. Women and Men are partners in this world, both have roles that are important. After 2000 years of crap, things are starting to balance out right, only to have this creep in the back door. It's spread by worthless human beings and I find it amazing that some women actually give these guys the time of day. It's an abomination. The only relationship any guy who thinks this way should have is with his hand, and evolution should relegate his DNA to dust.

Great post! :huh: I've had to do the same with my kids especially when I hear them listening to what I call "C"-"Rap" music. The good news is that they have not let this stuff rub off on them and have remained respectful of others. But you have to stay on top of it otherwise they will think it's OK and get sucked into it too. It can have a brainwashing effect if they aren't wise to it.

I don't like all caps, or 'perceive' them to be annoying or whatever, but I don't think there's much you can do about it.

As for bad language, that should probably be looked at. Actually reading the opening post, I think I know who this is thread is about... I don't care for the way some of his logs are written, but he's far enough away I don't seem them much LOL. Most of their logs are ok (but in caps) but a few are... well they could be worded better?

(note: names have been replaced)

STF'S SUCK a**

THAT dadgum oooo DID'NT LOG RIGHT AWAY, SO I GOT HOME @5 AND THOUGHT I STILL HAD A CHANCE, SO I GRABBED ONE OF THE PAIR 'A IDJITS & OFF WE WENT.

NOT HARD AT ALL-SPOTTED IT RIGHT AWAY

RATCHET UP YER GAME PIMP-I'M STAYING ON YA TILL YA PUT OUT SOMETHING SICK! <_<

T-CACHE CONTAINER

L-ooo TRADING CARD

oooo

CHRISTMAS CACHE

VIC GOT CAUGHT IN THE BARBED WIRE FENCE ALMOST LOST A TESTICLE. THAT WOULD BE A HELL OF A WEDDING NIGHT STORY FOR HIS FUTURE WIFE. HOW I LOST A NUT WITH oooo AND oooo AT THE BOYSCOUT CAMP.

oooo

Welch, thank you so much for taking the time to track down the cacher and log entries in question! The logs were simply hilarious! Of course, his use of ALL CAPS aside, it is kind obvious to me that the cacher also has some literacy problems as well. Maybe English was not his first language, or better, maybe Earth was no this first planet of residence! <_<:D

i hate it jst as bad whn they txt there msgs an cant spel and they put it all in lwr case an make run on sentencez and with no punctuation an stuff like that but thats jst me
<_<

I think I got the point of knowschad's post, but the format bugged me enough I couldn't actually read it...

<_<

When my son was young he brought home a paper from school where the teacher had written on it on RED CAPITAL LETTERS pointing out his errors. He said, "see, she even yells at me on paper!" <_<

All the people out there in the forums trying to make everyone conform to their tastes makes me laugh.

This is a game for every one not just those who think and act alike. That starts taking the individualism out of everything and we all become these perfect caching robots doing everything just right, according to someone elses protocol. If I looked I could find fault with everyone out there caching and then I become a bitter old lady because nobody lives up to my expectations.

Just face it we are all different individuals with different morals, ideals, and standards. Let's let each other be unique in our own way. If we don't like something ignore, move on, don't dwell on it. Don't go to those caches, don't read those logs. If the language is so bad it warrants removal, report it and the the powers that be take care of it.

Go caching and enjoy the great outdoors and quit trying to change everyone it'll just make you and unhappy and critical person.

BE HAPPY AND ENJOY LIFE! <_<

Edited by Patudles

<_<<_<:D

Logs are supposed to be descriptive-- why not use descriptive words? The all caps thing bothers me too... but it's not like I'm gonna be offended by that or by perfectly good words like "sucks" or "poop".

Life is just too short to be offended by stuff like this.