Garmin Unlock Changes

...the only thing I missed is getting all worked up over a rumor. Good idea to email them and let your feelings be known.

That's Alledged rumor to you sir. They haven't yet responded to my email.

So when did this turn into a bashing contest?

Bashing?

The OP quoted Garmin. That moves this discussion beyond rumor. The post I quoted makes the assertion that it is a rumor. That's their alligation. Ok the sir was in line with their post, but bashing?

Ok now full blown bashing but theres no point in all the arguments. Just post your responses and everyone can email Garmin and give them your thoughts. I just hate reading the posts of one person trying to smart off to someone else :drama:

If someone purchased software with written authorization to use it to unlock two units, and Garmin retroactively violates their written policy to disallow unlocking a second unit, the solution seems pretty simple: lawsuit. Perhaps a class action since there are hundreds of users in that situation. That might get Garmin's attention quicker than emails.

I went to my contacts within Garmin so I'll post their response to me here:

It has come to our attention that there is some confusion about our current MapSource and unlock code procedures. The following bullet points attempt to provide clarification:

# MapSource City Navigator North America NT 2008 (which is not available for purchase yet but will be shortly) has a one-user license and is valid for use with one Garmin GPS.

# Those who have purchased a Garmin device without preloaded maps (such as the GPSMAP 60-series or eTrex series) and MapSource City Navigator North America v8 or older software are entitled to unlock one additional device that they own for no additional charge.

# Customers with MapSource BlueChart CD data are entitled to unlock two Garmin devices with the identical BlueChart region(s). The two Garmin devices must be owned by the same individual who owns the MapSource BlueChart CD.

# Garmin no longer offers free map updates, including customers with a Garmin device with preloaded maps (such as a StreetPilot or nüvi).

For additional questions or clarification, please contact Garmin's product support at customer.support@garmin.com

Thank you,

Garmin International

(edited to put in the thank you part)

Also think about this....If it keeps the price down for awhile longer great. I really didn't need to use the second code but used it on the 60cs just cause I had it. If I had a choice I would have bought just one code at a lower price and kept just topo on the older gpsr.

So you choose to believe that the loss of the second unlock code is a rumor, but the drop in price is a fact? And you don't see a problem with pulling the second unlock code retroactively from users who paid full price, while possibly offering it at a reduced price to future buyers?

You're not worried because you've already used your second code. How nice for you. then this thread doesn't apply to you, does it?

MMMMM no facts in my post (pun intended)

It will be interesting to see what happens when the next CN comes out. If garmin will only provide 1 unlock and not offer it at a reduced price then CN V8 could be quite a bargin.

Sorry can't resist "I could of had a V8"

I also wonder if V9 will have any new features or just updated maps?

# Those who have purchased a Garmin device without preloaded maps (such as the GPSMAP 60-series or eTrex series) and MapSource City Navigator North America v8 or older software are entitled to unlock one additional device that they own for no additional charge.

For additional questions or clarification, please contact Garmin's product support at customer.support@garmin.com

Thank you,

Garmin International

This is fair. In fact this is exactly the right way to handle this.

I don't care about the loss of a free upgrade, as this was never guaranteed, but the fact that Garmin did implement this change without ever mentioning it on their site made me edgy. This new policy went into effect May first, nearly two weeks ago, with no notice to their customers. This made me wonder if the planned rescinding of the additional unlock code was a policy change that Garmin hoped to slip in with no notice as well.

I guess we'll never know if the policy stated above was the plan all along or if Garmin changed their minds in face of all the bad will this threatened to generate. In the end it doesn't matter. I believe that Garmin does need to examine how they disseminate information, both internally and to their customers. It would have avoided this whole mess.

Thanks for posting this.

The responce that I got:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. Unfortunately, as of June 1st of this year, there will be no free additional unlock codes for any version of software that you own or may purchase. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I should add that the exception is with our BlueChart software. We will continue to allow a second free unlock for that.

Pretty clear that Old and New versions are all gone. I asked for a certificate now for an unlock code later since I don't want to lose mine and suggested they run this decsion back up the corporate ladder since it's proving unpopular with geocachers.

Edit: This does not mesh with what Jeremy posted. I also let the person I received info from, that there is confusion as a result of different people saying different things.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Please keep in mind that hacking the software you own violates laws in most civilized countries.

Oliver

I don't have my EULA in front of my, but I suspect we don't OWN anything...we just bought a license to USE it....

Standard software EULA. You don't own the softwrae. But you did purchase something because money changed hands. What you get is the right of use. In this case the right of use on your computer and 2 GPSs. Unless the EULA says "We can change your right of use, or how many unlock codes or anything else about this licence at will".

iryshe

You got the same answer, as I have writtet here before.

Its the new maps tha makes the new roules.

I did ask the Norwegian distributor about this.

They say that this one key solution will happen when v10 come out in Europe and I guess it will be for v9 in US.

So he told me that the one key policy is delayed until autumn when v10 would be released.

And you will not get a free upgrade to v10 from unused v8, v9 DVD, when v10 comes out.

This information (Cascade GPS News) may help clear the confusion. Another source determines the effective date as May 4th:

Cartography Map Updates

Effective immediately, Garmin will no longer offer free map updates on select MapSource® “Update products” including City Navigator® North America and City Select® North America. Regardless of the time of registration, customers will be required to pay the posted update price. Customers will continue to order the update disk which will be shipped to the customer at no charge. Once the customer comes through the Garmin website to obtain an update unlock code, the system will charge the customer.

Free map updates for MapSource BlueChart® Update products will remain unchanged until July 1, 2007, at which time all customers will be charged to update their map data.

Free map updates for City Navigator Europe or City Select Europe update products will remain unchanged until September 1, 2007, at which time all customers will be charged to update their map data.

All of the update and trade in policies for BlueChart data cards, BlueChart g2 data cards and BlueChart g2 Vision™ data cards will remain unchanged.

Preprogrammed microSD map data cards

Garmin offers optional preprogrammed microSD data cards for use with compatible handheld GPS products. Packaging for these preprogrammed cards will soon include a standard SD card adapter. By inserting the preprogrammed microSD card into the SD adapter, customers may use the preprogrammed map detail on select Garmin nuvi®, zumo™, StreetPilot® c3xx and StreetPilot c5xx products.

Reply from Garmin on my email.

Thank You for contacting Garmin Product Support! I will be glad to help

you with this.

The current version of city navigator only allows for one unit to be

unlocked. The new version will be released shortly, probably by the end

of the summer. This update will work differently then they have in the

past and I do not yet have pricing. I would recommend waiting for the

new update to launch.

Another frustrated customer. Zeide

I finally received this reply from Garmin:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. You did hear correctly.

As of June 1st Garmin will no longer allow customers to unlock locked

MapSource products to a second Garmin GPS unit with the exception of

our BlueChart software. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for

your interest in Garmin.

Regards,

Nathan

Guess I better use my second unlock code soon . . . :ph34r:
:ph34r: Currently there are 4 Garmin owners in my family that still live at home and between us we have 8 Garmin GPS units and three sets of mapping software with 2 codes used for each. I guess in the future we will have to look in other directions and to other companies when we replace or update our GPS devices. Garmin has been our #1 choice in the past but with this change we may have to re-look at the market. I know that companies like Garmin make these changes to increase profits for their stockholders. Short sighted changes have been the downfall of many companies and this short sighted change may have a long term effect on their bottom line. I have received several requests and offers from Delorme to try their new Earthmate GPS PN-20 with Topo USA 6.0 National - BUNDLE because I currently use their Topo software- Great by the way- now I may have to take a second look at their offer for $299 with maps. It keeps looking and sounds better and better.

I have to admit I am going to look at other units from other companies. Garmin has always been my

favourite as I have 2 of them now, but with their new policies, I will look at Magellan and Tom Tom for

my next handheld. Zeide

I also really think this a BIG mistake by Garmin. But Garmin has always treated me right with fantastic customer support and great reliable products so I doubt it will make me change brands. I will always stay loyal to the Garmin brand.

When a company does something that costs me money out of pocket, I normaly drop them from the pool of companies that I do business with.

Garmins actions put me in the position of having to buy a map for any GPS that I may upgrade too. Before if I stuck with Garmin I would not have to spend that money. It hits my money out of pocket rule. They have until I actually do upgrade to change their minds and do the right thing, or to clarify that there was confusion and they only intended it on new software gong forward.

I find it interesting to see the various responses to the thought that Garmin will stop offering a second license to use their map software. They can be summarized like this...

1) I'm mad as hell and I am going to threaten to switch when I upgrade my unit in a few years.

2) I don't like it, but my Garmin is by best friend. I can't give up my best friend, can I?

3) I already used both of my licenses, what do I care?

4) Let's see... where did I file that web page on software cracks?

5) Open source is the answer! What was the question again???

Personally, I find #5 the most interesting. My GPSr died a couple of weeks ago and I am in the process of putting together a GPS setup consisting of a bluetooth GPSr, a Zire 72 and I may need to write some software. I most likely will start with whatever open source I can find and add to it.

Open source GPSr software has the potential of generating a whole new paradigm for GPS usage. One of the things that it may do is allow for the creation of an open source database of roads, trails and waterways that is based on measurements taken by GPS users.

So how many are actually interested in this? Why wait for Garmin or Magellan to tick you off? I find the idea of being able to tailor my GPS user interface and functionality to be irresistable.

... Open source GPSr software has the potential of generating a whole new paradigm for GPS usage. One of the things that it may do is allow for the creation of an open source database of roads, trails and waterways that is based on measurements taken by GPS users.

So how many are actually interested in this? Why wait for Garmin or Magellan to tick you off? I find the idea of being able to tailor my GPS user interface and functionality to be irresistable.

I agree, changing the conditions after purchase is poor business ethics. Open Source map are a rare thing - as far as I know, only Malaysia, Singapore and New Zealand have whole country free auto-routing, made and supported by users. The NZ link is here as an example. Sure, we're smaller than some of your States (but the coastline is 50% longer :ph34r: ) and there's many more of you to help with such an undertaking. The Open Project NZ map is already very, very good after only 6 months of work from the basic street map and will soon be superior to any commercial (Garmin and Navman) map, by virtue of being free.

I'm very annoyed by the 2nd Unlock policy change too.

Their Free Update policy has gone too - it was still here in mid-April when I last looked: http://www8.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.js...phy〈=en, fortunately I copied it at the time:

Q. I have an older version of a specific locked MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product. How can I update?

A. Garmin offers free and charged updates for locked MapSource products.

FREE UPDATES:

If you ORIGINALLY & NEWLY unlocked a NEW locked MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product ON or AFTER the release date of an update for that same product, you are eligible to unlock on that specific update what you unlocked on the original for no charge. In other words, you can update to the latest data for free!

You must order a free Update Disk for that particular MapSource product. Do that on the Garmin website, starting at: MapSource Updates

Find the link to the specific MapSource product you have, and click it. You will find a page asking if you live in the United States or outside the United States. Click the appropriate link, and you will find instructions on getting an Update Disk.

The Update Disks are free of charge. Any possible cost comes into the process when you unlock the update (see CHARGED UPDATES below). The previous unlock code(s) you have will not apply to the newer version. There can sometimes be shipping charges with the Update Disks to some addresses in the world, but the Update Disks themselves are free to customers.

When you get that Update Disk, you must install it on the same computer on which you have the previous version of that specific MapSource product. Instructions for unlocking it will come with the Update Disk. You will need your Garmin Customer Code for the unlock system (depending on what you owned first, it will be an original 8 digit coupon code that you used to get a 25 digit unlock code or a 7 digit registration code that came with a unit and a particular software product). Please see "What is the difference between a 7 digit unlock registration code and an 8 digit original coupon code?")

You will not be charged in this scenario to get your new unlock code(s).

CHARGED UPDATES:

Your update options are determined by what you have previously unlocked and when.

If you are a returning customer who previously purchased a MapSource CD-ROM/DVD-ROM product you may purchase an update if one is available to you. Your update options are determined based on what you've previously unlocked. A new unlock code must be purchased to access the updated data.

You must order a free Update Disk for that particular MapSource product. Do that on the Garmin website, starting at: MapSource Updates

Find the link to the specific MapSource product you have and click it. You will find a page asking if you live in the United States or outside the United States. Click the appropriate link and you will find instructions on getting an Update Disk.

The cost to unlock the Update would depend on the specific product you have. Please see the preceding website link for a list of release dates and prices. The same overall process applies; however, the difference is the update unlock code would be charged.

Note: Do NOT purchase additional unlocks for any of your units (if applicable)until you unlock the Update Disk. Otherwise, you will be charged to unlock these additionals for the Update. If you purchased additional unlocks before unlocking the Update Disk, they would apply to the older version of the product.

Edited by kiwitonita

Open source GPSr software has the potential of generating a whole new paradigm for GPS usage. One of the things that it may do is allow for the creation of an open source database of roads, trails and waterways that is based on measurements taken by GPS users.

To unreliable. But there are enough open sources to use. Have a look at

OpenStreetMap or the various map making howtos. Also it is no problem to use maps coded in Garmin's img format with other platforms.

Sure but with a more outdoor compatible platform than a Zire with GPS mouse. And I would prefer to know what's build in instead of reverse engineering my GPSMap.

Oliver

Sorry, I didn't read all the pages in this thread, but here is my take.

Inside my City Navigator v8 cd cover it states... Quote ".... If you personally own two Garmin GPS units, you are allowed to obtain a second unlock code for the same region for your own personal use at no additional charge."

There is no expiration date on this promise that I could see.

Now if they take this away from me, it constitutes bait-and-switch tactics. They sold this software to me under false pretenses. Hence, without receiving a $75 coupon or similar compensation, I see class action looming in the near future.

Edited by Turbobuick86

My two cents:

¢1: Much as this policy change sucks, its impact on me is that it was the kick my wife and I needed to get around to getting that second unit for her. We were probably going to get one anyways eventually, but now we've actually done it.

¢2: Garmin maps are pretty good. Garmin hardware is awesome. Garmin customer support I've heard is second to none. I'm not going to let this force me into accepting inferior products. It sucks that Garmin can be jerks this way, but all this is is one more factor. It's not the sole factor.

I'm still finding it hard to believe Garmin is doing this to their customers without any notification. I have had a second Garmin GPSr to use as a spare, but never put the maps on it. Now I will use the second unlock code before June 1st. But, what if I had not read this thread? How would I have known about this change?

Garmin's customer service has always been great. I just cannot understand how, with that history, they are making this change for current customers. To do this without notification is just wrong . . . :(

This is really making me reconsider the 60CSx I've been considering for the past little while. If they really do kill all prior versions of the second unlock without notice that will seal the deal for me and I'll look elsewhere. If it's just on new versions, that's alright, but still a lousy thing to do without notice. And by notice I mean posted in an obvious place for people to see on the official Garmin website.

Sorry, I didn't read all the pages in this thread, but here is my take.

Inside my City Navigator v8 cd cover it states... Quote ".... If you personally own two Garmin GPS units, you are allowed to obtain a second unlock code for the same region for your own personal use at no additional charge."

There is no expiration date on this promise that I could see.

Now if they take this away from me, it constitutes bait-and-switch tactics. They sold this software to me under false pretenses. Hence, without receiving a $75 coupon or similar compensation, I see class action looming in the near future.

As I have written two times in this thread.

It seems that this new polecy is starting now, but with the new Maps.

It may be called City Navigator 2008 instead of v10 in EU and v9 in EU.

You only get one key with v2008 and you can not upgrade from older version for free (with and unused version) to v2008

Please keep in mind that hacking the software you own violates laws in most civilized countries.

Oliver

I don't have my EULA in front of my, but I suspect we don't OWN anything...we just bought a license to USE it....

Standard software EULA. You don't own the softwrae. But you did purchase something because money changed hands. What you get is the right of use. In this case the right of use on your computer and 2 GPSs. Unless the EULA says "We can change your right of use, or how many unlock codes or anything else about this licence at will".

If by software you mean the mapping program that is free. The map data itself is not owned by you OR Garmin. NavTEQ owns the Navigator map data for North America. We are paying for license from NavTEQ in my opinion. One Garmin phone person said the vendor policy changed.
As I have written two times in this thread.

It seems that this new polecy is starting now, but with the new Maps.

It may be called City Navigator 2008 instead of v10 in EU and v9 in EU.

You only get one key with v2008 and you can not upgrade from older version for free (with and unused version) to v2008

While that may be your interpretation there is more then sufficient information in this thread to say otherwise; most of the replies from Garmin indicate that the new policy will affect current versions. There is still nothing official from Garmin though so I continue to recommend sendiing e-mails to customer support and cartography.

While that may be your interpretation there is more then sufficient information in this thread to say otherwise; most of the replies from Garmin indicate that the new policy will affect current versions. There is still nothing official from Garmin though so I continue to recommend sendiing e-mails to customer support and cartography.

When Garmin sold me my GPS, that was a legally binding contract. The contract stated that I would receive TWO unlock codes for my Mapsource software. I've got it in writing, and so do you. They CANNOT change that contract retroactivly, although they can try to make you think they can.

The biggest problem is who would one sue to enforce the contract? Garmin is a Caymen Island Corporation. That makes it difficult to bring suit against them.

I've always been a Garmin owner, and until now had intended to remain one. I own Garmin stock and have wriitten them to express my displeasure at the new policy change. I was planning on upgrading my GPS later this year. Garmin was the only item on my shopping list, but that list just got larger and garmin is on the bottom!

I consider the wording of the MapSource unlock certificate (see note above) a contract between Garmin and myself.

If they see fit to violate that contract without "consideration", then perhaps a letter to the state Attorney General might be in order. (Dear Bill.....) That might work better than an email to the marketing department. :(

I just got this message from Garmin.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. The second unlock code

will still be available for older versions of products. Garmin will no

longer offer free additional unlock codes starting with new versions of

our locked products (the exception is our BlueChart software which you

can still unlock to two units.) Sorry for the confusion.

your interest in Garmin.

Regards,

Nathan

So the way I see it, second unlocks that we've got but haven't used are safe.

The only change is that in future products, as of June 1, this second unlock will not continue to be offered.

I think this is fair and proper. There was never a guarantee that second unlocks would be offered on new products forever.

your interest in Garmin.

Regards,

Nathan

The only change is that in future products, as of June 1, this second unlock will not continue to be offered.

I think this is fair and proper. There was never a guarantee that second unlocks would be offered on new products forever.

That's good news. I'm glad they finally cleared that up. Future products can always have their own characteristics and restrictions, but retroactive changes on already sold items just isn't right.

Even more disturbing, effective June 1 there will be no free second unlock code; this includes people who have already purchased the programs with the understanding the second unlock was available. Having just bought a 76CSx and a full version of CN8 I was counting on using the second code at a later date if I decided to buy another 76 for the wife. Now I will have to buy another GPS by June 1 or lose my second unlock code.

I'm no lawyer (got a "D" in my one business law course), but this would seem to me to be clearly illegal. When we purchased the product, it was clearly stated that it came with two unlock codes :ph34r:

I'm not a lawyer either, but I would tend to agree.

IAAL and that's why I'm quite sure that they wouldn't dare it. :)

your interest in Garmin.

Regards,

Nathan

I just received the same message. I couldn't imagine they would take away that second Unlock Code from current Map owners, but the first email I got from Nathan did not make it clear. Now, it is clear. :blink:

I'm new here and jump in just to make a point. I was referred here after on trying to get my Upgrade for a map I was informed that was no longer offered. I could go into some depth here but we all have complaints, and although it seems that this "Second" unlock code issue is being resolved to be fair to Garmin, I think they are beginning respond to customers resentments about these sudden changes to what was promised. I read how some thought a lawsuit was an option. I would like to suggest in these type of situations you might find a quicker path to the companies ear through the BBB. Most legitimate companies will try to come to a reasonable resolution especially where any unresolved issues or complaints are so very visable. I had 2 phone conversations and 3 emails with Garmin as to why I felt the Map Upgrade should be as promised when I bought the unit. Clearly, the people at Garmin I was in contact with did not agree. I wanted the upgrade, paid the $75 then sent a note to the BBB all on 5/16/07. Today, 5/22/07 I was contacted by Garmin and told I would be refunded the $75 as they like to "grandfather" in what was promised. This type of gesture is good business. When someone asks me about Garmin I have positive feelings (yes I twisted the arm a bit) and when I buy or suggest for someone to buy I will at least "start" with Garmin. Sad but in the future there will NOT be some of these :D perks, however, Garmin makes a good product and with a small bit of encouragement treats customers well. Many thanks also to the BBB they provide a great service to the consumer :D

Is this "No Second Lock Code" tied to the June 1st date, regardless of what version of software? Or is it tied to a specific version?

That is, if I go out tomorrow and buy a 2nd GPS and also buy City Navigator (for instance) can I still get a 2nd unlock code for the 2nd GPS, if I get it before June 1st?

My last contact with Garmin said:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. Version 8 is the last version of City Navigator that will allow you to unlock the maps to two Garmin units. When City Navigator North America 2008 comes out this summer you will be limited to unlocking to one Garmin GPS.

I am content that they have givne fair notice on future changes and that they will honor the unlock code for my old software.

Last week I registered a StreetPilot 2730 automotive unit which shipped with CNNANT8, and my "My Garmin" currently displays the "unlock additional unit" link. My back-up 76Cx should arrive well before 1 June, but my (pre-ordered) Vista HCx will be a while. Decisions, decisions... ;)

Just thought I'd add my story here. Been out of geocaching for a bit, but last year I bought a 76csx unit and after a month of waiting, bought the City Select v7 in June 2007 since City Navigator v8 was forever coming out. Anyway, long story short. I received the City Navigator v8 last year as part of the free update since was within the grace period but never installed/unlocked it. A few days ago my friend told me about the new unlock rules. So I took out my CN8 and tried to unlocked it when it said I needed to pay $75 to update. I called Garmin and they took down my serial number of my unit (see it pays to register) and agreed I was entitled to the upgrade from last year and sent me the 25 digit unlock code. So a happy ending story here.

Next, I'll see if another v8 unlock is available after I register my Zūmo 550, arriving Wednesday.

Sorry, the Zumo 550 comes pre-loaded with CityNav NT v.8. Even if you request the free DVD (which is not automatically included), you only get 1 unlock code. The two code deal was only for separately-purchaced CityNav software.

EDIT: Disregard. Despite information to the contrary on Garmin's web site, my c550 alowed a second unlock.

Edited by Glenn W

I USED 2ND UNLOCK

I bought City Nav Europe NT Version 9 from ebay. Used software that came with a deluxe package, i.e. software already unlocked to the specific unit.

I rang garmin this morning to seek some guidance on how to unlock the software for my unit. The 2nd unlock code had not been revoked! I was able to (and have) unlocked City Navigator Europe NT9 for a seconf time on my unit.

From Garmin only the City Nav Middle East 2nd unlock code has been revoked.

This info is correct at the time of post, not to say theey wont get rid of it in the future.

If you read this thread you will see that all 2 key can be used. But when you buy the new version 2008 maps, you only get one key.

But how it will be after v8(US) has been replaced with v2008, I do not know. If it's not possible to get the old v8(US) what will Garmin do, we have to wait and see.