Garmin Unlock Changes

After reading in another post that Garmin is changing thier policy with regards to unlock codes I called Garmin to verify. Spoke to a very nice lady in tech support who confirmed that changes were in fact in place with regards to City Navigator and unlock codes. The first change went into effect May 1 when a new policy eliminating free updates went into effect. According to tech support if you buy an older copy of a mapping software Garmin will no longer upgrade for free. The example I have is buying a copy of City Navigator 7 on E-Bay; if you want to upgrade to CN8 you will have to pay the upgrade cost.

Even more disturbing, effective June 1 there will be no free second unlock code; this includes people who have already purchased the programs with the understanding the second unlock was available. Having just bought a 76CSx and a full version of CN8 I was counting on using the second code at a later date if I decided to buy another 76 for the wife. Now I will have to buy another GPS by June 1 or lose my second unlock code.

The resaon for the changes, according to Garmin, was due to policy changes with their mapping distributor. It was recommended that all concerns about these changes be sent to techsupp@garmin.com

The only good new was that Garmin willbe doing an across the board price reduction of $75-100 on all units in the very near future. I could not get an exact date but the indication was these reductions would go into effect by summer.

Interesting because I just went to their site and posted a quote from their site in the other thread. There is no mention on that page about upcoming changes . . .

I have not used the second unlock code for my CN8 yet. Guess I should use it before June 1.

Edited by Miragee

Interesting because I just went to their site and posted a quote from their site in the other thread. There is now mention on that page about upcoming changes . . .

I have not used the second unlock code for my CN8 yet. Guess I should use it before June 1.

I saw your quote and went to Garmins website to see if anything had changed; no mention of this new policy. I am wondering what I should do with my second unlock code beore it expires also.

I just wrote to them using an address I had from communication with them about the upgrade I got from City Select to City Navigator. They were so nice about giving me the free upgrade from one version to the next, I cannot imagine they would pull this with previous/current customers.

The only good new was that Garmin willbe doing an across the board price reduction of $75-100 on all units in the very near future. I could not get an exact date but the indication was these reductions would go into effect by summer.

And my prediction of the amount of price reduction which all of us outside the USA will see is .. ZERO ..

I have had numerous Garmins units over the years and cross'd the second unlocks between them as it really does what i want ...

All that will happen is now I will use metroguide and "that software" ..

Edited by S&G.Davison

Even more disturbing, effective June 1 there will be no free second unlock code; this includes people who have already purchased the programs with the understanding the second unlock was available. Having just bought a 76CSx and a full version of CN8 I was counting on using the second code at a later date if I decided to buy another 76 for the wife. Now I will have to buy another GPS by June 1 or lose my second unlock code.

I'm no lawyer (got a "D" in my one business law course), but this would seem to me to be clearly illegal. When we purchased the product, it was clearly stated that it came with two unlock codes :P

I'm no lawyer (got a "D" in my one business law course), but this would seem to me to be clearly illegal. When we purchased the product, it was clearly stated that it came with two unlock codes :P

Agreed, this does seem to be a clear violation of the terms we bought this software under. Nobody reads the End User License Agreements that come with software, but even if there is some sort of legal loophole allowing them to do this it's still a breach of faith. If they do this after the purchase then they clearly cannot be trusted to live up to any of our expectations about their products and software.

I have City Nav installed on my 60CSx, and was planning on getting my wife either a 60CSx or Vista CX this year. I was saving the second unlock code for that unit, but now it looks like it will be useless. I'm considering going on the Garage Sale forum and sell my second unlock codes to some deserving cacher before I lose it. As for a new GPS for the wife, I'm looking closely at the new Delorme.

They apparently try to justify this policy change by lowering the price on the software. Fat lot of good that does those of us that bought at the old price. You want to take away my second unlock code? Fine, where's my rebate check for the difference in cost? To apply this new policy retroactively is unforgaivable.

This is a steaming pile of horsecrap. I've sent my thoughts on this to Garmin's customer service, I suggest you all do the same.

Is the price reductions for software only, or do they mean gpsr as well?

As I understood it the reduction was going to apply to the GPSr, not software.

I expressed my concerns with Tech Support and sent them an e-mail also; suggest everyone do the same. I paid for two unlock codes and I expect to get both of them. We should not have to give up something bought and paid for due to a policy change. If they want to change the policy fine (although it is a poor business decision) but they need to grandfather those of us who still have our second code.

I agree, if they are going to do this, they should at least honor the EULA and allow the second unlock code for the people that purchased the software under those terms. If they don't, then refund some money or send a rebate check out to be used on a future purchase from Garmin. Something tells me that they won't do that though. Just another way that big business keeps us down. Just like gas prices. what are you gonna do?

I agree, if they are going to do this, they should at least honor the EULA and allow the second unlock code for the people that purchased the software under those terms. If they don't, then refund some money or send a rebate check out to be used on a future purchase from Garmin. Something tells me that they won't do that though. Just another way that big business keeps us down. Just like gas prices. what are you gonna do?

Recently a writer for one of the gun magazines made some very derogatory comments about a particular weapons system; comments that infuriated alot of loyal readers and customers of the writer, his parent company and it's sponsors. The resulting backlash of e-mails resulted in the writer losing his readers, his sponsors and finally his job. This all came about as a direct result of hundreds of e-mails to all concerned expressing their thoughts. Sounds like we need to convince as many people as possible to take the same approach with Garmin and send e-mails expressing their dissatisfaction. With enough people maybe we can get them to re-examine this unannounced policy change. I've already sent my e-mail.

I have a question about this. When I bought City Nav (v5?) I had one GPS, a 60CS. I unlocked the software for the 60CS with v6 (skipped V7), and V8. I used my second unlock with V8 with my new 60CSx, and I sold the 60CS. When V9 the update comes out, will I be able to use my one and only unlock code with my 60CSx, or am going to have to pay full price for the full version?

I have a question about this. When I bought City Nav (v5?) I had one GPS, a 60CS. I unlocked the software for the 60CS with v6 (skipped V7), and V8. I used my second unlock with V8 with my new 60CSx, and I sold the 60CS. When V9 the update comes out, will I be able to use my one and only unlock code with my 60CSx, or am going to have to pay full price for the full version?

Had to read through that a couple of times but I think I have it figured out. When you update you should be able to unlock either the 60CS or the 60CSx after cost of the update (currently $75.00). If you still had the 60CS you would have to pay twice to unlock both. Maybe going to Metroguide and using the work around program is not such a bad idea but I bet they fix that with V9.

May I suggest some one post a relevant email for Garmin feedback and we all use that ???

otherwise we all have to use the "web page" contact us form ..

Before it's time for pitchforks and torches, a word from Garmin would be helpful.

So fare two posts regarding direct interaction with Garmin contradict and clarification would be order.

May I suggest some one post a relevant email for Garmin feedback and we all use that ???

otherwise we all have to use the "web page" contact us form ..

Before it's time for pitchforks and torches, a word from Garmin would be helpful.

So fare two posts regarding direct interaction with Garmin contradict and clarification would be order.

Thier CS number is 1-800-800-1020. The more calls they get, in addition to e-mails will help get the point across. The e-mail address CS gave me to send to is: cartography@garmin.com <cartography@garmin.com>

Not sure what you mean about two posts contradicting though.

I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to them -- haven't even gotten back an "auto-respond" yet.

Knowing how great Garmin is about Customer Service, I am having a hard time believing this could be true. Maybe they will limit the Unlock Codes to only one GPSr for the new version of the maps, but not for the maps people already purchased with two Unlock Codes included.

From the thread "City Nav Unlock Questions", posted on 3 May 2007:

I just got off the phone with Garmin. Very nice folks. However, it seems that as of May first, things, at least as I understood them, have changed a bit. First, when you purchase CN, you are purchasing application to only one GPS, not two as was the situation before. Second, if you already own CN and were planning to use that second unlock for another GPS down the road, you are now out of luck.

I wrote to Garmin after reading that. It has now been 5 days with no reply. If they intend to address this they should do it soon, before word-of-mouth carries this too far.

From the thread "City Nav Unlock Questions", posted on 3 May 2007:

I just got off the phone with Garmin. Very nice folks. However, it seems that as of May first, things, at least as I understood them, have changed a bit. First, when you purchase CN, you are purchasing application to only one GPS, not two as was the situation before. Second, if you already own CN and were planning to use that second unlock for another GPS down the road, you are now out of luck.

I wrote to Garmin after reading that. It has now been 5 days with no reply. If they intend to address this they should do it soon, before word-of-mouth carries this too far.

With garmins current unlock scheme no one really bothers to pirate the software.... if its true and they don't allow use of a second unlock code I predict a registry crack to fully unlock the software within a short period.

I always thought only being able to unlock two gpsr was bad(what if I own 4-10 gpsr?) this is just crazy. all I can say is if they sell the software for half the price it's currently going for, MAYBE this wouldn't be so bad.

I just bought a vistaCX as a backup to my 60cx, maybe I should return it and buy a lowrance. at least lowrance is smart and only locks the data to the card, not to a specific unit.

Thank you for contacting Garmin.

It is indeed the case the free second unit unlock for the road products is no longer offered. I wish I could say differently. The only exception to this change that will remain is with the BlueChart CD data.

Thank you again for your interest in Garmin GPS. Have you seen our online Map Viewer? Preview the basic data in many of the MapSource products firsthand.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/

Best regards,

Loy

mailto:cartography@garmin.com

This is what I received today regarding an inquiry I submitted a few days ago.

Edited by Klatch

It is indeed the case the free second unit unlock for the road products is no longer offered. I wish I could say differently. The only exception to this change that will remain is with the BlueChart CD data.

Thank you again for your interest in Garmin GPS. Have you seen our online Map Viewer? Preview the basic data in many of the MapSource products firsthand.

Best regards,

Loy

Does this mean that the second unlock code I have for City Select v7 (it's older, but it works) will no longer be valid, or does this only cover Garmin's new map products? I was hoping to upgrade my GPSr this summer and use v7 on it . . .

Does this mean that the second unlock code I have for City Select v7 (it's older, but it works) will no longer be valid, or does this only cover Garmin's new map products? I was hoping to upgrade my GPSr this summer and use v7 on it . . .

I just emailed to see if they will honor the older software 2nd unlock code or if they are indeed taking them all away.

I've seen on these forums where people felt that unlock codes were unfair; they felt that they should be free to install the software on as many receivers as they liked. I can see this opinion, provided the buyers limited themselves to receivers that they personally own. Of course, this wouldn't be the case in many instances, many people would buy CN and share it with all their friends, and therefore Garmin felt the need to protect their investment.

I always thought that providing two unlock codes was a fair compromise. My 60CSx represents a big investment to me. I am looking to get a second receiver this summer for my wife, but I doubt I personally would ever use more than two codes anyway. But even if I never needed the second unlock code, the paperwork that came with the software and Garmin's own website made it clear that two codes were included in my purchase.

I can see them limiting sales from this point forward to one unlock code; buyers can decide for themselves if the price is worth it. I can see them limiting bundled software to one unlock code. I can see them not providing a second unlock code for vehicle mounted units. What I can't see is changing the rules AFTER the purchase is made.

Probably the only real edge Garmin has over Magellan, Lowrance and Delorme is the reputation for customer service they have built up, and that reputation has largely been propagated through word of mouth. I'll be honest, I have owned two Magellan GPSRs, and if Magellan has poor customer service I would never know it because I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH EITHER OF THEM.

Garmin has one chance here to do the right thing. Screw us over and the word will travel fast, and all the good will that their customer service has built up will be poisoned. They really need to watch their step on this issue, since the new Delorme receiver is cheaper than the routing capable receivers from Garmin, and that price includes the mapping software, and with the satellite views included, the mapping software looks to be much more versatile. Garmin could find themselves knocked off their pedestal in short order.

I predict a registry crack to fully unlock the software
Can't happen. The lock is implemented in the GPSr, not on the PC.

You can install the map on as many PCs as you like. You can download the map to as many GPSrs as you like. But only the one or two GPSrs for which you unlocked the map will show it to you.

Recently a writer for one of the gun magazines made some very derogatory comments about a particular weapons system; comments that infuriated alot of loyal readers and customers of the writer, his parent company and it's sponsors. The resulting backlash of e-mails resulted in the writer losing his readers, his sponsors and finally his job. This all came about as a direct result of hundreds of e-mails to all concerned expressing their thoughts. Sounds like we need to convince as many people as possible to take the same approach with Garmin and send e-mails expressing their dissatisfaction. With enough people maybe we can get them to re-examine this unannounced policy change. I've already sent my e-mail.

Jim Zumbo!

I don't know if there are as many geocaching "activist" types as there are rabid defenders of the 2nd Amendment, but I hope Garmin get's enough feedback to realize a Zumbo type reaction is at least possible here. As some of us saw with Jim Zumbo (and to some extent, Don Imus), the power of the "new media" is how quickly something like this can gain steam and spread.

My wife and I have purchased 5 Garmin GPSrs in less then 6yrs. Over that time we've also purchased many mapping products, cables, mounts, ext. antenna, etc. to go with those units. I've recommended Garmin products to dozens of people.

I paid for a fairly expensive piece of software with the express understanding that I would still be able to use that software the next time I upgraded to a new GPS. If Garmin goes ahead with this change of policy, they are essentially stealing from me a product I paid for, and I will not accept that theft lightly.

I will never buy another Garmin product, nor will I recommend Garmin to other people. I will make sure all the car, motorcycle, boating, and hiking forums, blogs and magazines I read know my displeasure with Garmin. I will not do business with Garmin dealers, or with anyone who endorses Garmin; and I will be sure to tell those companies why they will no longer get my business. I will ask my state Attorney General's office to investigate, and I will file a complaint with the BBB. I will ask every person I know to do the same. It may or may not help me get my second unlock code back, but I am sure it will cost Garmin much much more then that in lost sales.

Is this REALLY the kind of publicity Garmin wants from outdoor community?

While I am certainly watching this development with interest, I am going to withold judgement until something official from Garmin comes out. If it is truly the case that 2nd unlocks are going to be taken away, even from customers who bought previous versions of software, I will also be upset. What makes more sense, especially for a company as reputable as Garmin, is for them to honor the 2nd unlocks on previous map versions up to and including V8, then issuing new unlock certficates with V9 that only allow for one unlock. Garmin is going to have to release something about it as they will need to let their retailers become aware of a policy change of this magnitude. I would almost bet that this new unlock policy will take effect with the new City Nav. V9. Maybe I have too much faith that Garmin will do the right thing for its existing customers and their 2nd unlock, but they have a good reputation; having said all of that, my finger will also be reaching for the BBB's website...

This is so stupid. It should be illegal, but on top of that it's just a plain dumb business plan. They think more people will buy the software more often, but in reality now I'll probably never upgrade my 60CSx and never ever buy another mapsource product ever again. This is a clear violation of what we purchased and is just plain wrong and stupid.

I think there has been a misunderstanding about this. However, until I get a reply to the email I sent earlier today, I can't say for sure, but I really doubt if this is true.

I think it relates just to the maps that come with the Auto units and not the handheld units.

While I am certainly watching this development with interest, I am going to withold judgement until something official from Garmin comes out. If it is truly the case that 2nd unlocks are going to be taken away, even from customers who bought previous versions of software, I will also be upset. What makes more sense, especially for a company as reputable as Garmin, is for them to honor the 2nd unlocks on previous map versions up to and including V8, then issuing new unlock certficates with V9 that only allow for one unlock. Garmin is going to have to release something about it as they will need to let their retailers become aware of a policy change of this magnitude. I would almost bet that this new unlock policy will take effect with the new City Nav. V9. Maybe I have too much faith that Garmin will do the right thing for its existing customers and their 2nd unlock, but they have a good reputation; having said all of that, my finger will also be reaching for the BBB's website...

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/policy.asp

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than one Garmin GPS unit you own, you will need to purchase another code for each unit. (The exception to this is with MapSource BlueChart CD data. The region you have unlocked to one compatible Garmin unit you own from a specific BlueChart CD you may unlock to ONE other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional fee.)

Is that official enough?

You know it is bad enough that City Navigator does not allow more flexibility in choosing your map size. I convinced my work to purchase a unit for road trips, so they bought an Etrex Legend C and the new City Navigator. I live in North Carolina and there is not enough memory to load the huge map segments. To add to that there is no other alternative on the market. I know that they are discontinued, but users should have more options.

Nuwati

This is what it says when I go to "My Garmin" page:

MapSource Unlock

Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use with your own Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user license, and it is illegal to share this data with others. If you own multiple unlock compatible Garmin GPS units and have unlocked maps to one, you are generally allowed to unlock the same maps to one other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional charge. (See our Unlock FAQ page for further details.) HOWEVER, this is NOT applicable to models which come with detailed maps pre-loaded and without CD or DVD-ROM's in the packages.

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than two Garmin GPS units, you will need to purchase another code for each unit.

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/policy.asp

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than one Garmin GPS unit you own, you will need to purchase another code for each unit. (The exception to this is with MapSource BlueChart CD data. The region you have unlocked to one compatible Garmin unit you own from a specific BlueChart CD you may unlock to ONE other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional fee.)

Is that official enough?

[Mopar,

Your point is understood, however, the initial post in this topic indicated this would take place on June 1st, which by my calendar is not here yet. All I am saying is, I am not going to jump the gun and make any assumptions yet. It would make sense for Garmin to put that on their website in anticipation of a release of a new City Nav. product for potential customers who are just browsing and may not own a Garmin product yet in order to plant the seed. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not happy about this either, I just feel Garmin has earned at least a small benefit of the doubt since none of us have been put in the position of wanting our 2nd unlock after June 1st and having it denied...yet. At that time, then we can call out an airstrike, coordinating it with another companies GPS unit! ]

Best regards,

Loy

This makes it sound like it only applies to new road products. Older products may not be affected at all.

Seek answers first, get irate later.

AK

This is what it says when I go to "My Garmin" page:

MapSource Unlock

Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use with your own Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user license, and it is illegal to share this data with others. If you own multiple unlock compatible Garmin GPS units and have unlocked maps to one, you are generally allowed to unlock the same maps to one other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional charge. (See our Unlock FAQ page for further details.) HOWEVER, this is NOT applicable to models which come with detailed maps pre-loaded and without CD or DVD-ROM's in the packages.

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than two Garmin GPS units, you will need to purchase another code for each unit.

That just Blows i just bought the Vista Cx too. Maybe I shoulda stayed with my magellan where the software worked great with the gps and they didnt charge you an arm and a legg for updates and stuff. :huh: Hmm i'm concerned now.

Well, I'm also taking this into account:

Granted, it's possible a cubicle drone misunderstood the new policy, or Slainte heard wrong, but either way I think now is the PERFECT time to call in the airstrikes as was put. Let garmin hear our displeasure now while it's still easy for them to rethink and change policy rather then later, after everything is in place.

Edited by Mopar

This makes it sound like it only applies to new road products. Older products may not be affected at all.

Seek answers first, get irate later.

AK

In the other thread on this subject (City Nav Unlock Question) Slainte posted:

I just got off the phone with Garmin. Very nice folks. However, it seems that as of May first, things, at least as I understood them, have changed a bit. First, when you purchase CN, you are purchasing application to only one GPS, not two as was the situation before. Second, if you already own CN and were planning to use that second unlock for another GPS down the road, you are now out of luck. I had to pay $117 for one unlock code. They were very decent and let me have my second code, as I purchased the software quite recently. Now I have three well-mapped GPSs, but I expected to have a fourth code waiting in the wings. Just thought some of you might be impacted by this, too.

While in the Inventory Time thread he listed his units as:

one eTrex

one eTrex Legend cx

ten eTrex Legends

two 60 csx (soon!)

No car mounted units mentioned there, so I assume the rep he spoke with understood he was referring to handhelds.

OK, I'm hoping everyone else gets the same answer. I just received the following answer from Garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. That information is NOT

true. The only thing that has changed are free updates for the mapping

programs as of May 1. If you wish to add a second unit to your license

you are free to do so at any time."

Has anybody else received an answer?

And my prediction of the amount of price reduction which all of us outside the USA will see is .. ZERO ..

I have had numerous Garmins units over the years and cross'd the second unlocks between them as it really does what i want ...

All that will happen is now I will use metroguide and "that software" ..

No cupon codes for Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! argh

My guess is that MetroGuide will be removed or at least very delayed.

Here in Europe we have had City Navigator Europe v9 NT since September 2006

MetroGuide v9 is announced from Garmin, but still not avilable.

Since I started this topic let me set the record straight; when I called Garmin I asked specifially about the handheld models. I explained to the CS rep that I have a 76CSX, Legend Cx and 60CS and no mention was ever made about the dedicated road units. The CS rep confirmed that this policy change, effective 1 Jun, did not grandfather previously purchased units. While I hope the information received was the result of someone misreading the e-mail I would ask that other pick up the phone and give them a call to see what answers they get, don't just wait for the canned e-mail response. Their number is 1-800-800-1020.

With regards to Cheshire Frogs response from Garmin stating the only change was the 1 May change to free updates; did anyone hear about this change before it went into effect? I might have missed it but I have not seen anything about it on this site and there is nothing on Garmins website announcing this change. Garmin put this new policy into effect without notice so who is to say they will not do the same with the unlock codes. Please give them a call and question the answers I received; I would love to be wrong on this one. 1-800-800-1020

I honestly don't understand how a company can charge 400+ for some GPSrs that have only a base map...then charge 110.00 + for a mapping program and then say...Oh sorry you can only use it on one GPSr.

Garmin makes A LOT of money from word of mouth referrals. This kind of move only sends people to different GPS companies and as others have said it could easily make garmin lose their market share.

Also in regards to the hacking the unlock....

Most GPS users are VERY computer savy. It will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to obliterate the unit lock downs. There is no such thing as hack proof software.

I just spoke with someone at Garmin(a person that I trust and have recieved good info from previously) regarding their new policy. Apparently the new policy is one unlock per unit/software and no more free updates. This will affect new software purchases of the new mapping version due this year and automotive units that come with the mapping. They are going to allow 2 unlocks for the previous versions still(grandfathering basically), until you update to the new version where you will only have 1 unlock and have to purchase extras. This is standard for the software, not specific to the type of unit(i.e. auto, handheld). The only exception to this is their Bluechart software.

You can install the map on as many PCs as you like. You can download the map to as many GPSrs as you like. But only the one or two GPSrs for which you unlocked the map will show it to you.

with enough incentive for the right person, anything can happen. :huh:

Most GPS users are VERY computer savy. It will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to obliterate the unit lock downs. There is no such thing as hack proof software.

I Have been told that TOPO Great Britain has been CRACKED!!!!!! (No Unlock Key) :huh:

I think the "No free update" thing is directly related to auto units. When you have software on a disk, there is a very clear timeline of when you unlocked the software vs when the new version is released, and you cannot use the software until it is unlocked. For the units that come preloaded, they are basically ready to go out of the box, and the free update was based on when you registered the product. There is an opportunity for abuse there. Lets say a person buys a c330 in March and plugs it in and begins using it, but holds off registering it until July 16 (when the release date for the new stuff is July 15, coincidence? I think not). The person got 3 or 4 months of use of the previous version AND a free update to the newer version, and that violates the intent of the free update policy. Rather than set up a two tiered system for maps on disk vs preloaded units, Garmin gives one policy that applies to all. Buyers of new City Nav software on disk will need to be aware of the latest version, Because if you bought V8 or August (after the hypothetical July 15 release date) you will still have to pay $75? to update to V9.

with enough incentive for the right person, anything can happen. :huh:

The unlock code is used to restore the encrypted map level / subdivision part in the TRE section. Additionally it seems to be needed for maps with routing information.

Whereas the first can be easily restored without decrypting, just using some side information of the file, the later is tricky. I suspect you have to create some index for autorouting. This index seems to be created by the unit using the unlock code. Additionally you can provide the index. I suspect the MetroGuide hack to do this. As I do not really have the need to break the lock, I never investigated further.

Please keep in mind that hacking the software you own violates laws in most civilized countries.

Oliver