New Groundspeak country group: Central Europe?

Exocet

I am not what might be described as an "avid" geocacher - but I have been geocaching on and off since February 2001. A couple of years ago I moved to Poland and have been geocaching here and a bit around Europe since then.

Sadly, though ...today, in an area the size of New Mexico and with 38 million people in it ...Poland has less than 300 geocaches at the moment. Poland obviously is not a wealthy nation, but our southern neighbor, Slovakia (with 5.5 million people and roughly the size of West Virginia) isn't necessarily wealthy either - our GPP's are about the same but Slovakia has 850+ caches in it.

Obviously there is a bit of disparity there and it is my opinion (not to be confused with fact!) that this may be due to a variety of competing web sites such as geocache.pl and opencache.pl drawing Poles away from geocaching.com.

So, I'm wondering if more effort should be made to bring Polish geocachers into geocaching.com and the Groundspeak forums. One of the ways to do that might be a "Central Europe" area of the Groundspeak forums.

I personally would like to talk to Slovakians, Czechs and Poles to find out why the disparity exists and what we could do to encourage more geocaching in Poland.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, my first Polish geocache is currently awaiting approval. I'll be making a few more in the near future but I would like to see more than just my own geocaches being created.

Perhaps this really is just a problem of momentum, that with a dozen or 20 fairly determined geocachers that it would turn the tide, but I wonder if that really is the problem or not.

Hail from the CZ

check out geocaching in the Czech republic ... 4000+ caches available, including many in the neighourhood of polish border (Ostrava, Česky Těsin, etc.) Also different events take part regulary and foreign guests are welcomed !! Large event (250 persons) is scheduled already for this weekend but venue is quite longer way from Krakow...

Hail from the CZ

check out geocaching in the Czech republic ... 4000+ caches available, including many in the neighourhood of polish border (Ostrava, Česky Těsin, etc.) Also different events take part regulary and foreign guests are welcomed !! Large event (250 persons) is scheduled already for this weekend but venue is quite longer way from Krakow...

The Czech Republic has it good, I know. Even Slovakia isn't so bad! I'm watching for events in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Someday my wife and I will drive down for one.

So, I'm wondering if more effort should be made to bring Polish geocachers into geocaching.com and the Groundspeak forums. One of the ways to do that might be a "Central Europe" area of the Groundspeak forums.

Hi,

We are invite you to Poland on our offical geocaching site: http://www.opecaching.pl

where you find more than 1000 caches registered in our local database.

Regards from Poland