Fantasy cache ideas you wish you could do...

There are a few cache ideas I wish I could do, if I only had the spare land, or money. I have no land, no house and not much money. But I have a big imagination, and I can dream. :blink:

Let's take a tour thru my several (nonexistent) acres of geocacher fun:

1. "The Freecycle Cache"

See that LARGE shed/barn next to my house? That's the Freecycle Cache. You may drop off large furniture, sofas, freezers, bicycles, desks, chairs, old pickup trucks, lamps HDTV plasma screens and the like. Just no oil derricks, locomotives or 18-wheelers, please. The logbook is that HUGE book hanging on that one wall. You are free to have fun with the various colored magic markers as you sign the logbook.

2. "Where's That Cop?"

"Oh looky... a nice, ordinary cache box. Sit down, let's sign it, look at the various trinkets...

("BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" (siren sound)

AAAAAAAHHH!!!

COPS!!! Where's that cop? OMIGAWD, that siren musta been 10 feet behind me! Wait, there's no one here. I coulda sworn that was a cop siren...

What, what's this note in the logbook? "Dear fellow cacher: I hope you enjoyed my electronic marvel. Be careful bumping the cache, it will trigger the motion sensor again. By the way the hidden siren behind you is on a 30 second delay."

Arrrrggghhh... THAT SPARROWHAWK!! If I ever get my hands on him... her... whatever....!"

3. "World's Laziest Cache"

"Aw man... I've been hunting this cache for the last half hour and just can't find it! Man, I am tired... I think I'll just sit on this chair underneath this tree and try to puzzle out this hint. Ok... errr... click? What just went "click" under me? Wait a minnit... something is coming down on a rope from the tree branches above... it's... it's... a cache box? And IT'S COMING DOWN AND LANDING ON MY LAP?" I am supposed to just sit here in this chair and have the cache come to ME? Oh, that's just GREAT!"

4. "Messing With My Reality"

Unsuspecting cacher is instructed to stand in a small shed at look at something. Suddenly the floor gives way. TERROR!! He's FALLING! Wait a minute... not falling... he's on some sort of underground twisty slide, going fast. 25 seconds later, cacher ends up safe at the bottom of the hill where the hidden metal tube slide pops gently out of the hill. There, right in front of him is a table with chairs. The cache is on the table. A doorbell-like device is on the table. Nearby is a cooler full of beer with a sign that says: "2 beer limit. Ring bell to summon cache owner to have a beer with. Please choose a chair and wait for the next falling cacher."

Any crazier ideas out there? :(

(not darn likely... but SOMEONE's gotta have some crazy idea... somewhere...

Edited by Sparrowhawk

The Mirror Maze. Sometimes glass, sometimes a mirror, you never reflect, but the cache sure does...

The crystal cache in the crystal cave. With funky LED backlighting.

Faith. Grashopper, you must reach into the flames...

Monkey Bone. What's that? The Monky Tribe has the cache and thinks it's a game of keep away? Sucks to be you.

Walking on water. Follow the course exactly...or fall in.

Pool of fire.

No really the boat is asphestos and the oars won't burn. The life preserver won't help if you fall in the lava.

Starry Starry Night.

Which star in the planatarium should not be there? That's the cache.

The Weakest Link.

Annoying but hey the cache is worth a million bucks...if you aren't the weak link.

The Hundred Frog Challenge.

One is a prince/princess who bears the cache (if you are married) and is the cache if you are single. One kiss perday. Frogs arranged at random.

Holodeck.

Worf is angry. Worf is guarding the cache. Pick your weapon, maybe you have a chance.

A Single Grain of Sand...

One black grain of sand on the white sands beach. That's the cache which holds a gift certificate for a new car of your choice. There is a trick to find the cache fast...but you have to figure it out...or do it the hard way.

The Kitten Challenge.

100 scared kittens in a tree. You have to save them, they are going to jump and you are going to catch them. The last kitten carries the cache. No missing allowed.

WMD:

Iraq. So that's where they put it.

Star Wars.

Just like shooting swap rats in your X Wing...oh that's the combo to open the cache?. Luke made it look easy. How about you?

Blow the man down.

100 Cachers start. 99 will be eliminated. A high tech game of cloak and daggers where each cacher is given a file on thier opponent, and vice versa. Single elmination. Real world, fake methods, with trained observers to verify the kill.

It really is a bomb.

The cache is an exact repoduction of the most sophisticated bomb ever used in a terrorist attack. Your mission. Disarm the bomb. Every time you fail you get jolted on your butt by electricity, but it's not fatal. Cache prize is well worth successuflly disarming it. Oh you are only allowed to bring your swiss army knife.

Minefield.

The cache is hidden in the middle of a minefield. The mines are specially modified to explode like paintballs. You can't just get to the cache..you have to make it out again. Ka-Bar supplied for your belly crawling adventure.

Date Party:

Match.com has found your perfect match. They also have hired actors to play the part of your perfect match. You walk into the party and while mixing and mingling have to pick "The one" by the end of the night. Oh, you are the only one without a date. Your fellow cachers are the dates and you are interloping. Prize, All expensive paid Jet Set Date. Dinner in Rome, Sunset in Paris and all that crap.

Gold Standard.

The cache is 1,000,000 in Gold. It's on the presidents desk. All you have to do is walk up and claim it. Alas when sign up to do the cache Homeland secuirty flags you as a risk.

Hollywood.

Hidden in the movie National Treasure II is the Davinci Code style clues that lead to the cache. First Come First Served.

Cache Survivor.

Every cacher on the planet starts out in hundreds of tribes. Everone keeps their day job, but when the tribal council is called a challenge is afoot.

Isotope.

Follow the radioactive trial with your geiger counter...if you choose.

Prison Break.

A small team is locked in replica prison with the actual tools available from a historic prison break. If they can replicate the break the cache is there waiting. If they can't...better luck next time.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Skip's Private Strip:

Come visit my private air strip in my "back yard". The cache is located behind my hangar where my RV-7 (or maybe 8) is. See New York sectional for more detail. The runway is grass and 2000' long. Please call ahead to let me know you're coming. Geocaching pilots who call ahead as requested and understand they are using my private runway at their own risk have my permission to land.

Yeah, I can't even afford flying lessons, never mind anything like that. It's fun to dream sometimes though.

Pinyata.

One baseball bat. 10000 Pinyat's. You may never find the cache but you can sure have fun trying.

Small Town USA.

One person doesn't belong. They guard the cache.

Remote Control.

The cache is in a monkey cage at the zoo. The monkey follows simple commands. Walk, Jump, Grab, Left, Right, except he has been trained to disobey in a specific pattern seemingly at random. The cache sits on a shelf that requires some fairly complex instructins but which is easy for the Monkey to get. Figure out the pattern or stumble through though blind luck, and the cache is yours.

The Maze.

Center of a giant maze. No GPS allowed.

SPIDERS!

When a cacher moves the suspicious pile of sticks next to a root ball it activates about a half-dozen autonomous robotic spiders with six foot leg spans to emerge from their hiding places nearby. These robot spiders have infrared sensors and are programmed to seek temperatures around 98.6 degrees. To log the find, the cacher must down a handful of asprin to ward off a heart attack from shear terror and then actually wrestle these creepy, hairy creatures to the ground before being overtaken and covered in web goo. The cache container is in the jaws of one spider. Find it, and the attack is called off. After making any trades and signing the log, hitting the "reset" but will send all of the spiders scampering away to their hidey holes.

TURN YOUR KEY, SIR!

Based on the 1983 movie, WarGames. The cacher follows the posted coordinates to a vacant store in a run down part of town. A puzzle on the cache page is solved to obtain the combination to the pad lock on the door. Once inside, the cacher finds a lone video game in the middle of an otherwise empty room. When the room's motion sensors detect the cacher's presence the game chimes to life and asks, "Do you want to play a game?" The cacher drops quarter after quarter (geocoin after geocoin?) into the machine, playing the game over and over until at long last a threshold score is achieved. At that point the game ejects a single key from the coin return slot. At one end of the room a door pops open when its magnetic latch releases. Through the crack the cacher sees a flickering, flourescent light, beckoning. The cacher takes the key and walks through the door which slams shut and locks. Electronic equipment is everywhere, old computer reels are spinning and lights are flashing. THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE THERE! The cacher is frightened to see another person at the far end of the room. On a large-screen monitor the cacher sees what appears to be his own GC Profile Page and some sort of Administrator command prompt window with the words "Delete Account" and a cursor poised over the "OK" button. The shadowy figure has his own key in the console about ten feet away and his left hand on the computer mouse. All of a sudden he starts to yell at the cacher, "TURN YOUR KEY, SIR!" The cacher takes in the scene and realizes that if he doesn't obey, this administrator is going to wipe his geocaching account out! The cacher puts his key in a console across the room and they turn their keys simultaneously. All of a sudden, loud, creaking noises eminate from the wall and a large garage door begins to groan as it slides to the side, revealing a very dark hallway. The cacher, hesitant at first, take a few steps into the musty darkness and in the distance sees a light shining down from the ceiling onto a pedestal. On top of the pedestal is... a Rubbermade container full of broken toys and McDonald's crap!

My new geocache The Forest of Enchanted Light is a Fantasy :P

I really loved the R/C monkey at the zoo. :D

Mine would a be called "Lab Rat." You would get stuck in a near impossible situation, trying to solve really hard scenarios, to find the cache, and to get out. A group of "white coated" scientists would be there to record your progress.

Another great place would be an (implosion proof) ammo can attached to the Titanic.

Skip's Private Strip:

Come visit my private air strip in my "back yard". The cache is located behind my hangar where my RV-7 (or maybe 8) is. See New York sectional for more detail. The runway is grass and 2000' long. Please call ahead to let me know you're coming. Geocaching pilots who call ahead as requested and understand they are using my private runway at their own risk have my permission to land.

Yeah, I can't even afford flying lessons, never mind anything like that. It's fun to dream sometimes though.

The cache is actually IN the RV-7, right?? :P So if I came out there, I would have to climb inside the plane and look around. That would be only after I look around the outside of the plane (i.e. check pitot tubes, take a fuel sample, etc.). If the bird accidentally took off, it's okay, I've got a license. Don't know where it is and I haven't flown in more than 14 years, but it's just like riding a bike, right?

Seriously, though, that is a very cool idea.

Place cache on a TALL tower (Private utility pole that you bought and had installed on your land maybe???)then use a puzzle cache to reveal combo for a box on site with an R/C helo that has some sort of hook so you can retrieve the cache.

-10 points if you know how to operate an R/C helo before hand. :P:(

+20 if you get it in less then 10 tries. :rolleyes:

The OP already mentioned my building cache idea. :P

Last Train out of Hinckley

Puzzle cache. Go to the first physical waypoint to grab a train pass and a set of instructions, then get on the next AMTRAK across the country, arriving eventually at Hinckley, MN. Along the way, at various remote points the train passes signs and building numbers, etc., which the cacher uses to solve the puzzle provided in the instructions. Coordinates are provided, so the cacher knows when an important number is coming. Multiple redundancies are available, so that the cacher has multiple opportunities to solve it, in the event that they miss something. Also provided with the instructions is the story of the Hinckley Fire and the burning train that was used to evacuate the town (a harrowing story), for reading along the way. Final cache to be located at the Hinkley Fire Museum.

Narnia Letterbox Hybrid

The coordinates lead to a wardrobe, but satellite reception doesn't exist beyond that point, so you have to follow the clues. Hopefully enough people will make it back out of Narnia to actually log the find online.

An "X-cache" but very simiple.

I would paint an ammo can bright organge then place atop a 70' abandoned utility pole.

Place cache on a TALL tower (Private utility pole that you bought and had installed on your land maybe???)then use a puzzle cache to reveal combo for a box on site with an R/C helo that has some sort of hook so you can retrieve the cache.

-10 points if you know how to operate an R/C helo before hand. :huh:;)

+20 if you get it in less then 10 tries. ;)

The OP already mentioned my building cache idea. ;)

DONE!! :D

c8c09b23-f68f-4414-97c4-e4b1fcfdb80e.jpg

I would paint an ammo can bright organge then place atop a 70' abandoned utility pole.

Yet again...I see now why people put out micros in lame places.All the good ideas you come up with have been done!!!

Yet again...I see now why people put out micros in lame places.All the good ideas you come up with have been done!!!

Don't stop planning!! This was awsome fun!!

After I win the Power Ball Lottery I want to have a cache that I will call...

Alien Outpost

It would be a short multi-stage that would lead you to three or four "alien" looking posts that will display an alien symbol and coordinates to the next stage that you would have to translate from their language to ours. The final stage would lead you to the doors of a hidden outpost where you would have to input the alien symbols in the order in which you found them. Once inside you would find what looks like a control room for observing various places on the Earth. Some monitors would still be working while others will display static or would be simply broken. The place would look long abandoned and barely functioning. Imagine any Star Trek episode where an "Away Team" beams aboard a damaged ship where it is somewhat dark and the displays and consoles flash intermittently with weakened power. You can sign a computerized log at the only station that appears to be fully functional. Once you press "enter", a panel will open near you where you can find a special geo-coin as a reward for the find. No trading will be necessary but I would have to leave some room for people to leave some swag or TBs if they wanted to.

Yeah, it is private property, I know...

But I'd place a magnetic micro about halfway up the Green Monster at Fenway Park.

Paul

Oh, I just read the link. It isn't metal. It sure sounds metal when the ball hits it. I guess I'd have to be clever about attaching then.

How about twenty feet of rope covered in fake Ivy tied off to the top of the wall somewhere?

I always wanted to cut a maze out of a large field - 40 acres or more - of Blackberries. Have a few 6 foot culverts to make Rabbit runs.

OK... so a cacher has this farm with llamas... and it's a 2-stage multi cache. At the first stage, you go up to the fence and get the attention of the resident llama. Rattle some provided food in a can or something. The llama comes over, and there's a sign around it's neck that has the coords. You feed the llama and note the coords. Then it's off to the final stage of the cache.

...except THAT has been done already. Oh well.

cbc00d33-c7ee-4ced-9e68-34d4e436934c.jpg

Maybe someone could do it again... with horses or something? :)

How about a St. Bernard - and the cache is the keg around it's neck? :)

Blow the man down.

100 Cachers start. 99 will be eliminated. A high tech game of cloak and daggers where each cacher is given a file on thier opponent, and vice versa. Single elmination. Real world, fake methods, with trained observers to verify the kill.

where do i sign? :unsure:

Yeah, it is private property, I know...

But I'd place a magnetic micro about halfway up the Green Monster at Fenway Park.

Paul

Oh, I just read the link. It isn't metal. It sure sounds metal when the ball hits it. I guess I'd have to be clever about attaching then.

All the better. A magnetic hide where the magnet isn't being used. How devious. Just make sure to make the description say it is magnetic.

Im glad the llama one is archived. That is just plain not nice to have a llama carry that around. How would you like it? Uck!

i think the llama is fake, but since you suggest otherwise, I'm not sure. anyway, just offer it some ham.

wow that is a real llama. awesome idea. bring some ham and you're good to go

1. "The Freecycle Cache"

See that LARGE shed/barn next to my house? That's the Freecycle Cache. You may drop off large furniture, sofas, freezers, bicycles, desks, chairs, old pickup trucks, lamps HDTV plasma screens and the like. Just no oil derricks, locomotives or 18-wheelers, please. The logbook is that HUGE book hanging on that one wall. You are free to have fun with the various colored magic markers as you sign the logbook.

Ahhhh! Another trash can cache!

I'd just like to have enough land to place a very long and intricate night-only cache. Somewhere with varied terrain from open to wooded where I could make a very special fire tack type of trail.

With enough land and money you could create some very special hides of various kinds without having to resort to the highly unlikely high tech scenarios mentioned above.

The Matrix

A 1-mile square grid with a cache at every .10 intersection, 100 caches, 1 smilie!

I actually set down one night to lay out a cache like that. There is this piece of BLM ground that's almost land locked...I got my map out, put a cache in, made a 528' circle and ran out of land. Grrrr...Too small.

Next cache idea:

Catapult: You have an infinite rock pile available with perfectly round, but very heavy rocks. Before you is a plain with 9 holes. You have to lob a rock into each hole. When you succede it trips a switch, and the cache falls out by your feet. For your entertainment other areas of the plain are littered with things like Hummers, Tanks, Trolls (who throw rocks back...) and the like should you wish a distraction from trying to sink your catapult putt.