Any Equestrian Geocachers out there?

I've been thinking about putting a Cache out on one of my favorite riding trails. It might make it a bit hard for short distance hikers to do it. Anyone else combine the two sports? :D

Can equestrians geocache? How do they manipulate the GPSr without opposable thumbs? :blink::(

My wife and I took a horse back trip in Ireland. I tried to convince her it was a great way to cache and that there were several in the area... but she wouldn't do it :D

There are a modest number of folks caching from horseback here in Central Florida. I make my living as a trainer (dressage). I find getting the horses loaded and hauled more of a PITA than it's worth, and typically the cache isn't that close to legal horse trail. So somebody has to hold horses while somebody else goes after cache.

There is a park stretching halfway across Florida, the Marjorie Harris Carr Greenway - what became of the massive Cross Florida Barge Canal project. It's generally about a mile wide and runs from Ocala to the west coast. Has horse, hike, bike trail all paralleling along its distance. Probably the best place in Fl for horse back caching. You're never very far from the "other" trail. And some multi use trails in the National Forests.

I think I'll do it. It's never to much trouble for me to load my horse and go ride for any reason. I look for remote caches and most of the time I research to see if horses are allowed in a particular area. Some parks for instance don't allow horses Because they think horse poop is a bad thing). It will probably be equestrian theme as well.... You geocaching horse lovers watch for the new cache....

There are a modest number of folks caching from horseback here in Central Florida. I make my living as a trainer (dressage). I find getting the horses loaded and hauled more of a PITA than it's worth, and typically the cache isn't that close to legal horse trail. So somebody has to hold horses while somebody else goes after cache.

There is a park stretching halfway across Florida, the Marjorie Harris Carr Greenway - what became of the massive Cross Florida Barge Canal project. It's generally about a mile wide and runs from Ocala to the west coast. Has horse, hike, bike trail all paralleling along its distance. Probably the best place in Fl for horse back caching. You're never very far from the "other" trail. And some multi use trails in the National Forests.

Place one at 'X'

Wife's at 4th level and Pas de Deux :blink:

I've been thinking about putting a Cache out on one of my favorite riding trails. It might make it a bit hard for short distance hikers to do it. Anyone else combine the two sports? :blink:

Do it, just don't tell my wife, she's been trying to get me on a horse ever since we met.

I've thought about that too. We have 2 horses and from what I can see, there's only 1 cache NEAR (not on) the trails I like to ride... might be fun!

I've been thinking about putting a Cache out on one of my favorite riding trails. It might make it a bit hard for short distance hikers to do it. Anyone else combine the two sports? <_<

Have i done it? Yes. Did it like it? not really. Unless it is a very easily hidden container that is within 3 feet of the trail, your horse looses interest in you and begins to go and do it's own thing.

192324841_6ce6d4ca6f.jpg

We have 15 horses, but I have only combined the sports once. Trail riding really needs concentration in dense forested areas i suppose..