eBay coins listed as "ULTRA RARE RARE RARE"

kansaswatchdog

I noticed that a seller on the E place <removed by moderator> has a geocoin listed and has it titled as ULTRA RARE RARE RARE. That coin is still available for $10.70 from the original maker and this guy is trying to portray it as rare for the starting price of $22.45 with shipping. I liked the looks of it so I ran the geocoin name thru Google and came up with the other link. I got a butt scorching for asking him about it thru the E question area. Don't understand how people can sleep after they try to hoodwink or scam someone into spending too much money. Why do people do that? Or is it just greed. Is that a common practice that you just have to watch our for?

<FSM: specific references to a non-trackable coin removed>

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I see what you mean. I saw it on the site for $10.00, though. And just to think, I gave up 3 bottles of wine for this coin at a raffle this weekend :(

I wonder if there's a way of letting people know that this is Not a Rare, Rare coin? Now, they are also selling the Isle of Man geocoin that Might be worth what they're asking for :blink:

Edited by fairyhoney

I think ebay is buyer beware. I have seen many nongeocoin items sold at more than the price from the original manufacturer. for instance I know someone who bought climbing equipement from REI. Decided against it and put it on ebay. The auction ended at more than if they had gone to REI themselves online and bought it. AND the loser emailed him and asked if he had any more. For an instant he thought of buying from REI just to sell to this guy but didn't LOL

Before biding on any auction do your research and don't get sucked in with the thrill of bidding.

Happens all the time with all kinds of stuff, like everything else, it's up to the buyer to do their research and find the best price. This isn't specific to coins, my new SLR camera is on ebay for $200 more than what I paid for it elsewhere. I wouldn't have been mad at the person selling it if I had been foolish enough to buy it without shopping around, just at myself.

Happens all the time with all kinds of stuff, like everything else, it's up to the buyer to do their research and find the best price. This isn't specific to coins, my new SLR camera is on ebay for $200 more than what I paid for it elsewhere. I wouldn't have been mad at the person selling it if I had been foolish enough to buy it without shopping around, just at myself.

I went to E-inlet a while back to look for a deal on an 8" telescope. Figured I could get a used one for less than the ~$1800 new price...

Nope, people selling their less equipped, used scopes for more than the new price, not counting shipping. Got the same "you suck" reaction when I used the question mechanism to ask sellers about that issue too.

E-inlet is very much buyer beware.

On the flip side, my old scope went fast when I offered it at less than the new price :blink:

Sales Puffery.

All geocoins are rare.

When is the last time you have ever seen a limited edition anything (Frankline Mint for example) that had as few made as most geocoins?

eBay has made changes that favor artifically high prices in recent times. It's to their benefit until someone else can compete and move things bakc towards auctions instead of buy it now prices. Since you can buy used at Amazon.com I find that about 1/3 the time I can find a better used deal via Amazon.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Huh...silly me. Our Allegany State Park Geobash event coin that is listed on ebay as "Ultra LE"....there is exactly ONE of them in existence.

I don't have the chops to list like this.

But I sleep at night okay; Lord knows how these sellers do.

Edited by ATMouse

I'll be offering one of our 10 gold LE event coins for auction soon...to help offset the costs of the event (I'm paying all expenses out of pocket)...I'll be labeling it as Ultra Limited!

It is ....isn't it??

I'd say so...and btw, I paid for all our coins and pins up-front, too. Good luck. :blink:

I noticed that a seller on the E place <removed by moderator> has a geocoin listed and has it titled as ULTRA RARE RARE RARE. That coin is still available for $10.70 from the original maker and this guy is trying to portray it as rare for the starting price of $22.45 with shipping. I liked the looks of it so I ran the geocoin name thru Google and came up with the other link. I got a butt scorching for asking him about it thru the E question area. Don't understand how people can sleep after they try to hoodwink or scam someone into spending too much money. Why do people do that? Or is it just greed. Is that a common practice that you just have to watch our for?

<FSM: specific references to a non-trackable coin removed>

Not much you can do about it, up to the buyer to know what they are buying. For example my non-trackable personal coin was recently sold on Ebay by someone I traded with, they listed the coin as Rare, HTG, etc. I felt bad for those bidding on the coin (sold for $32.00), but at the same time it was almost funny as I still had over 60 coins for trade, and as for it being hard to get, all anyone has to do is ask to trade. It's a shame people have to lie to sell something.

I'll be honest. When I see someone blatently lying in an Ebay auction (i.e. sold out, etc.), I email the bidder list, and give them the scoop. We're all consumers at one point or another, and in the same boat. :blink:

That being said, I sell coins from time to time on Ebay myself. I try to stick to "HTF", and list minting quantities. "LE" or "XLE" doesn't hurt, if that is what it was marketed as originally. If you give as much true information as you can, the bidders can make a better decision. You'll actually get better results than Super Fantastic Ultra Rare, etc. If I misrepresent an item, I welcome feedback from bidders.

I'll be honest. When I see someone blatently lying in an Ebay auction (i.e. sold out, etc.), I email the bidder list, and give them the scoop. We're all consumers at one point or another, and in the same boat. :P

That being said, I sell coins from time to time on Ebay myself. I try to stick to "HTF", and list minting quantities. "LE" or "XLE" doesn't hurt, if that is what it was marketed as originally. If you give as much true information as you can, the bidders can make a better decision. You'll actually get better results than Super Fantastic Ultra Rare, etc. If I misrepresent an item, I welcome feedback from bidders.

I did the same thing when I saw the Dreamcatchers on Ebay. Sent an email to the bidders say I was the one who produced the coin and I still had a few set at the opening price. At that popin the price on Ebay was almost the price of a set for only 1 coin ($32).

I email the bidder list, ....

I didn't even know you could do that.

You can contact any other Ebay member anytime, and on a live auction, all the bidders names and profiles are open for viewing. However, you cannot see the bidder list on closed auctions. I caution you to READ the Ebay guidelines about use of their email service and contacting other members, so you don't say or do anything to lose your account privileges though :P They can be touchy.

:P Unfortunately, eBay doesn't make it easy to retract bids and these sellers that misrepresemt coins are preying on hopelessly addicted ebay junkies :D who don't care how much they pay but just gotta have it!

But many thanks to everyone who participates in this online forum! :) As I am now a well-informed addict. Best advice to my junkie peers is; to do the research; bid wisely; and use the eBay feedback system.

I'll be honest. When I see someone blatently lying in an Ebay auction (i.e. sold out, etc.), I email the bidder list, and give them the scoop. We're all consumers at one point or another, and in the same boat. :P

I agree with you 100%. I actually had someone email me one time that a coin i had listed was actually sold out and that i should note that to sell it better. Thought that was kind of cool. All of my auctions I always list whether it is LE or what not and every single fact i can possibly think of including whether it is a sold out coin or not. I sell some of my XLE's on there just to make some extra money for my newborn and support my coin habit and i have definately found over the years of being a member on the E-place that honesty works best and being as descriptive as possible helps. As for emailing other people's bidders i have not gone that far. Personally I dont want to risk e-place suspending my account because if i read right before, that soliciting bidders like that was against their guide lines even if you are trying to help.

Jayman11

I email the bidder list, ....

I didn't even know you could do that.

You can contact any other Ebay member anytime, and on a live auction, all the bidders names and profiles are open for viewing. However, you cannot see the bidder list on closed auctions. I caution you to READ the Ebay guidelines about use of their email service and contacting other members, so you don't say or do anything to lose your account privileges though :P They can be touchy.

*snip*

*snip* As for emailing other people's bidders i have not gone that far. Personally I dont want to risk e-place suspending my account because if i read right before, that soliciting bidders like that was against their guide lines even if you are trying to help.

Jayman11

Thanks Jayman. That was why I clarified in my second post please read the Ebay guidelines for contacting members. You have to word emails very carefully so that they are not taken as a solicitation. May not be worth the risk, but heck, it's just an account, and I don't make a living there :D

I giggle when I read the e*** coin descriptions as Super Dooper Party Pooper Rare, when there are usually 20 other of the same coin running at the same time! OR as others have mentioned, you can still buy them from the manufacturer. But I suppose not everyone is aware of the many selling outlets for coins. I paid $8 for travel bug tags there before I realized you can buy them through Groundspeak. <_< I have been tempted to list an auction for the same coin and list it as "Not Rare At All" or "Not Even The Slightest Bit Rare"!

It never occurred to me, though, contacting the bidder list, and it should have right away. When I was in the market for a penny press several years ago, I of course checked out e***, because of COURSE they have the best brices, right? I almost bid on a 2 die press that already had someone elses dies engraved into them, for $2400! Thank God a fellow e***er contacted me and informed me of other options. I now have a press for less than half the amount, with MY die on it. Whew! Talk about buyer beware!

I'll be honest. When I see someone blatently lying in an Ebay auction (i.e. sold out, etc.), I email the bidder list, and give them the scoop. We're all consumers at one point or another, and in the same boat. :laughing:

I agree with you 100%. I actually had someone email me one time that a coin i had listed was actually sold out and that i should note that to sell it better. Thought that was kind of cool. All of my auctions I always list whether it is LE or what not and every single fact i can possibly think of including whether it is a sold out coin or not. I sell some of my XLE's on there just to make some extra money for my newborn and support my coin habit and i have definately found over the years of being a member on the E-place that honesty works best and being as descriptive as possible helps. As for emailing other people's bidders i have not gone that far. Personally I dont want to risk e-place suspending my account because if i read right before, that soliciting bidders like that was against their guide lines even if you are trying to help.

Jayman11

I have twice listed a coin with a mistake, once I said it was sold out when it wasn't (I had really thought it was sold out), and once with misleading wording in the description (again, honest mistake). In both cases, someone emailed me and pointed out the mistakes. I really appreciated the corrections, as I do try to keep my listings as accurate as possible. I never use phrases like HTF, rare, or ultra anything. Those terms make me think scam. I only use LE when appropriate.

Anyway, my point is, I really appreciated the emails about my mistakes, as opposed to emailing everyone on my bidders list. Saves me the embarrassment over an honest mistake. In both cases, I fixed the mistake. In the second case, the coin had just sold with BIN. I emailed the buyer, explained the mistake, offered a refund, cancelled the transaction and refunded the money.

So, if you ever see a mistake in my listings, please email me first! :grin:

There's a guy flogging geocoins on ebay right now whose auction price is ok, but he's claiming $11.50 US to ship a coin to Canada by USPS.

Dang postage rate increase :laughing:

For $11.50 US per coin, I figure I could actually profit if I DROVE about 20 coins from here in Canada to where he lives.

... these sellers that misrepresemt coins are preying on hopelessly addicted ebay junkies :o who don't care how much they pay but just gotta have it!

Bingo!! If someone isn't willing to do their homework, they deserve to be cozened out of their money.

Caveat Emptor: Let the Buyer Beware. This is the underpinning of an educated Market Economy. Dare I point out that, over all, we don't live in one of those? Which makes those of us who *do* pay attention a lot more powerful than those who don't :o And I'll be honest; if someone can sell things at hyper-inflated prices, more power to them. As long as I don't get fleeced, I'll just look at it as a form of Evolution in Action. Those who don't learn from their mistakes deserve to be ripped off. This applies only to adults; children are never fair game, and I despise those who cheat kids by charging them ridiculous prices for common stuff :o

Oh, and just for the record, I've never sold anything through any auction site. Sold a lot of stuff from my front yard, or at flea markets, but it's a rarity to over-price anything at those, and get any buyers! People who do the rounds of those things tend to know their stuff... errr, junk :o