GPSMAP 60Csx - Major Map Transfer Problems

Hi, I'm having some pretty major problems trying to tranfer maps from City Nav NT 8 to my 60Csx over USB.

Waypoints transfer ok. I figure that's because it's such a small amount of data. If I transfer 1 map, it may fail, it may complete but contain corrupted data, or it may complete successfully. If I try to transfer more than one map, it will always fail.

When it fails, here are some of the ways I've seen it fail:

• The transfer will stop part way through saying the device disconnected. This is how it normally fails.
  • The transfer may complete at the computer end but the 60Csx still sits at the "Transferring Data" screen.
  • The transfer may complete at the computer and appear to complete at the 60Csx, but the unit didn't reboot automatically and a manual reboot shows no map data was transferred.
  • The transfer may complete at the computer and appear to complete normally on the 60Csx (including reboot) but the data is corrupt meaning not all street data shows and any routing attempts will fail.

Sometimes when the transfer fails it messes up the memory card and the 60Csx won't even boot up anymore. A quick card format in my digital camera will solve this and let me boot again.

It took me about an hour yesterday to get one map seemingly successfully transferred.

I have logged a support request at Garmin but so far no response.

This is driving me crazy. I'm using all the latest versions of software, usb drivers and firmware under Windows XP SP2. I've tried the original 64 meg memory card and a 2 gig Kingston card and they both have the same results. I might try picking up a card reader on the way home and see if I can transfer maps onto the memory card directly without going through the GPSr.

Has anyone seen problems like this transferring map data? Since I haven't seen any other problems with my GPSr, I'm wondering if it's a software issue or if there could be some bigger problem with my gps unit.

Thanks...

I might try picking up a card reader on the way home and see if I can transfer maps onto the memory card directly without going through the GPSr.

Has anyone seen problems like this transferring map data? Since I haven't seen any other problems with my GPSr, I'm wondering if it's a software issue or if there could be some bigger problem with my gps unit.

Thanks...

The card reader will speed up the transfer of maps allot, but I'm not sure if thats going to fix your issue. have you checked to see if you have the latest version of mapsource? or the latest firmware/unit software installed on your 60csx?

also using the front USB ports or a USB hub can cause some issues, so make sure you are connecting directly to a rear USB port.

Be sure that you are using powered USB ports on your PC. Not ones through the monitor or through a USB hub. If you are having problems with the original card you can eliminate that as the source of your issue. If you try the card reader route and it works you may have an issue with the cable itself or the USB port on the unit.

Good Luck!

I have had problems transferring when I have the power saving settings on the PC set to power down the HD or put the system in standby after 30 mins or so. The computer doesn't seem to recognize that the computer is doing something when it is transferring map sets. I set to power settings to shut down after 5 hours. I have to remember to set them back after the transfer.

Hmmm.....well, I do have the latest versions of Mapsource, GPS Firmware and USB Drivers. I have tried a front and rear USB port directly on the motherboard. I have no problems with any other USB devices on the same computer, ie digital cameras or usb memory sticks. There is no USB hub involved. I have tried two different memory cards. I have tried 3 different usb cables and I don't have any of the power saving settings turned on for the computer.

Thanks for the possible suggestions. I wish Garmin would respond to my support request as fast as you guys have. :-)

I've heard of other people with different Garmin units having nothing but problems transferring map data and they switched to using a usb card reader and that solved everything. Now I just have to decide whether this is a MapSource software problem or if there is really something wrong with the USB transfer chip on my 60Csx and I should return/repair it. It's only just over a week old.

Hmmm.....well, I do have the latest versions of Mapsource, GPS Firmware and USB Drivers. I have tried a front and rear USB port directly on the motherboard. I have no problems with any other USB devices on the same computer, ie digital cameras or usb memory sticks. There is no USB hub involved. I have tried two different memory cards. I have tried 3 different usb cables and I don't have any of the power saving settings turned on for the computer.

Thanks for the possible suggestions. I wish Garmin would respond to my support request as fast as you guys have. :-)

I've heard of other people with different Garmin units having nothing but problems transferring map data and they switched to using a usb card reader and that solved everything. Now I just have to decide whether this is a MapSource software problem or if there is really something wrong with the USB transfer chip on my 60Csx and I should return/repair it. It's only just over a week old.

This is crazy man cause about 2 weeks ago I had the exact same problem as you have now. I couldn't find anything about it in any forums either. The problems seem to have disappear by themselves. Here's what might have fixed it.

1-I transfered data directly to the flash card from my laptop.

2-It worked because I now add access to the maps that had been transfered.

3-I drove from Quebec to Ontario and wanted to have a route caculated.

4-When I activated the route calculation from Montreal to Petawawa, my unit crashed.

5-I restarted it and tried again, it did crash again.

6-I tried a 3rd time and it worked and it never crashed again!

7-Once I arrived at Petawawa, I tried to transfer data through usb and it worked beautifully.

8-Never had any problems since then.

9-Still don't know what fixed my issues...

Thanks for the reply. It's good to see I'm not the only one that had these problems.

I picked up a card reader yesterday and transferred several maps through it with no problems. So at least I have a work around.

As for my GPSr, I'll use it for a while and see if it "settles in" like yours did. If not, maybe I can drive to Petawawa, the healing point for troubled receivers. :-)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions....

FWIW, I overcame my CN8 download problems by first highlighting (selecting) all of the Mapsource maps first in Map tab before downloading them. Evidently, it wasn't enough just to have them listed there.

My second problem, "detailed street mapping suddenly disappears", seems to happen more frequently if:

1. I travel more than 15 miles from my home base.

2. I do multiple Finds on addresses, business, waypoints, etc, while I'm on the road. (It does not happen if I just Find-> Geocaches.)

For this problem, I submitted an online trouble ticket to Garmin, and received an email today advising me to download the latest Mapsource update that was released on May 17. I'm going to do that tonight, but will probably not get a chance to test it until this weekend.

I have a 76CSx, not a 60, but thought I'd offer this up in case it helps both units.

Clair

(Also, thanks, Garmin, for the super-quick reply to my online request!)

Just a happy followup:

I installed the latest Mapsource update (6.12.4), which includes the USB 2.2.1.0 upgrade, and after three days of rugged testing, I am happy to report that all of my 76CSx mapping problems seem resolved. Not only are my "Find Waypoints" and "Find Geocaches" working for both offroad and onroad, but I'm no longer losing street map detail after ending searches and/or starting new ones. I also received an unexpected bonus of seeing much larger directional arrows and more sound alerts before turns, etc.

I know the upgrade description sounds minor, but the Garmin tech's email specifically said that the update "seems to take care of an issue that is causing incomplete map transfers to the GPS unit." Impossible to say if that was my problem, but I'm just glad that its fixed now.

Clair

"Back in love with the 76CSx!"

Edit: Oh yeah...as mentioned before: You need to go to the website http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209 for the upgrade. The update tool in Mapsource doesn't pull this one.

Edited by ClairBrock