Topo maps

Keep in mind I have a garmin Vista. While it has the ability to have maps uploaded to it, the 24MB fixed memory I am sure is inadequate for much.

So how exactly does the MapSourse TOPO US work in relation to my Vista if I were to buy it new or used. I assume there is a application that is run on a PC (I use a mac, but I also can boot into XP if needed). But what then. How would I get maps to my Vista? Obviously, I can't put the whole US on it. But then what options are there? Would I put on small areas? Can I put on larger areas but with less detail?

As you can see, I have little to no idea how I would make it work, and what the experience would be like with such a limited GPSr.

You can load any number of segments, as memory will allow.

And a segment is a fixed area of land? So is the only choice simply the number of segments to upload, rather than sacrificing detail for area or area for detail? And about what is the area of a segment?

Thanks for the replies! It does sound like that if I did choose to buy Topo, I'd be able to get some decent use out of it, perhaps just needing to do some manual uploading of areas I plan to travel to before I go. Thanks, and anyone knows roughly the amount a Vista will hold (obviously depending on area) that would be great.

Segment area varies. In flat Iowa they are pretty big. In central Colorado, they are smaller. Someone with Topo handy can find the total memory for all of NJ and post it, or I will later tonight.

The total Topo US mapping to cover EVERY little segment of New Jersey is 9.55MB, with 41 map tiles.

Segment area varies. In flat Iowa they are pretty big. In central Colorado, they are smaller. Someone with Topo handy can find the total memory for all of NJ and post it, or I will later tonight.

The total Topo US mapping to cover EVERY little segment of New Jersey is 9.55MB, with 41 map tiles.

The 16 MB in an eTrex Legend will hold almost all of Colorado, but I'm using an older version of MapSend Topo, so that may no longer be true.

Keep in mind I have a garmin Vista. While it has the ability to have maps uploaded to it, the 24MB fixed memory I am sure is inadequate for much.

24MB is a respectable amout of built-in mem for a GPSr. I do have a LegendCX with the SD card for gigs of space, but I also have 2 Legends with 8MB and an eMap with 8mb that do just fine. Smaller areas is all.

I haven't found a reason why TOPO map would be worthwhile. Maybe because of where I live - ie no mountains to hike up an down.

What do you guys 'use' them for?

To me, street maps are the way to go.

For Geocaching they are useful as it is handy to know if the cache is at the bottom or top of a hill when figuring out where to start.

I haven't found a reason why TOPO map would be worthwhile. Maybe because of where I live - ie no mountains to hike up an down.

What do you guys 'use' them for?

To me, street maps are the way to go.

The Canadian Topo maps have proven to be surprisingly useful for exploring old dirt roads here in British Columbia. Some of the spur roads I've driven on on Vancouver Island were heavily grown over and barely detectable from the main road, but they were displayed on the topo map. Just this last weekend, we were on a 4x4/GPS rally and I was able to use Topo Canada to auto-route from one waypoint to the next.

This is the kind of road we were driving on:

D2C_1495.jpg

As you can see, we're not talking about a major forest service road, and yet it was still contained in the map data. Pretty cool. I have to say, though, that some parts of the displayed roads were incorrect but they were close enough and usually got back on track with the real world within 200m.

GeoBC

The only thing though, is that Garmin Topo USA is on a 1:100 000 scale, which in my opinion is useless when you go hiking, you need more details than that.

More detail is nice, but 1:100k is hardly useless. When you're in the mountains your ability to pick a route is limited to line-of-sight, meaning you may end up bushwhacking up an 800 foot climb without realizing that there is a streambed around the ridge that avoids the climb completely.

There is a thread on here that talks about a private individual offering 1:24k maps of all of Colorado from I-25 west. It would be nice to have the additional detail, but I'm currently weighing the advantages of that over the cost.

I just created a detailed 1:24k map of the south and southeast part of the grand canyon including most of the major hiking trails. Once I get back from my trip and add POIs from the USGS i'll probably release it.

Thankfully the USGS has 24k DLGs of most things (not all the elevation data) so I even included trails with mine :P

I have one I use a lot for Mt Lemmon, Az and must say for rock climbing (where we kinda bushwack our way to an area) it is nice to know which way ends with a cliff and which way to go. That map is also a 24k though.

The only thing though, is that Garmin Topo USA is on a 1:100 000 scale, which in my opinion is useless when you go hiking, you need more details than that.

More detail is nice, but 1:100k is hardly useless. When you're in the mountains your ability to pick a route is limited to line-of-sight, meaning you may end up bushwhacking up an 800 foot climb without realizing that there is a streambed around the ridge that avoids the climb completely.

There is a thread on here that talks about a private individual offering 1:24k maps of all of Colorado from I-25 west. It would be nice to have the additional detail, but I'm currently weighing the advantages of that over the cost.

I agree for the rockies, wasatch's and so on the topos are a nice addition. But I would still carry a paper map with me if I was heading into the back country.

For New Jersey and New England, I have not found the topos to be all that helpful. It is not so much the level of detail (or lack of it) but viewing a topo on a 2" x 3"screen is pretty tough to get any real appreciation of the topography around you.

I suggest trying out the map viewer on Garmin's web site for areas where you will be using the GPS and decide if the information is helpful or not.