nokia geocaching software

hi

was wondering if there is any geocaching software for nokia mobile phones i just downloaded some cache pages in pdf to view on my nokia n70 and i was wondering if there was any software available to use such as gsak maybe

cheers

bountyhunter1

Hi, not sure about functionality like gsak, but you can view OS maps, load caches etc using Viewranger software. Have a look here. Only used the trial version so far but will get 1:50k maps for the South West later this month.

Happy Hunting

edit: link now working

Edited by The Hoffies

hi

was wondering if there is any geocaching software for nokia mobile phones i just downloaded some cache pages in pdf to view on my nokia n70 and i was wondering if there was any software available to use such as gsak maybe

cheers

bountyhunter1

Hi, not sure about functionality like gsak, but you can view OS maps, load caches etc using Viewranger software. Have a look here. Only used the trial version so far but will get 1:50k maps for the South West later this month.

Happy Hunting

Just tried this too and it looks a cracking bit of software. However as I've already invested in a full set of OS maps for Memory Map I can't see me forking out for the same thing for this application :anibad:

Now, if it were only possible to convert maps from memory Map ...................................!!!

hi

cheers

bountyhunter1

Happy Hunting

Just tried this too and it looks a cracking bit of software. However as I've already invested in a full set of OS maps for Memory Map I can't see me forking out for the same thing for this application ;)

Now, if it were only possible to convert maps from memory Map ...................................!!!

ViewRanger is a cracking bit of software, with a support second to none.

I use 1:25,000 maps for the South Lincs and Rutland area. I still use a dedicated GPS unit for the majority of caches but you can enter the co-ords directly into the phone and locate the proximity of the cache without the use of GPS. “Bolts from the Blue” Cache around Rutland Water was done completely using ViewRanger all points entered before setting out and is has helped with the progress of trying to solve “The Curse of the Black Cat” puzzle cache. A tad expensive ( but what mapping tools aren’t), but also used when out walking as a back up to an OS Map.

Edited by ebbandflo

The 1:50 mapping works out pretty cheap though - for £25 quid you can get a pretty huge area.

Never looked at 1:50,000. Just had a go with Map Chooser at that scale and you do get a large chunk for a lot less bucks. Might try next time when further a field.

Edited by ebbandflo

I installed it OK on my N95 (from Orange) and it works fine.

I was doing little dances of glee with it. It's amazing.

I already use my N95 a lot for another Groundspeak GPS-based game that requires the ability to store accurate GPS co-ords and take good quality pictures.

The reason I'd not used the N95 for caching was that getting the co-ords into the N95 was a right old fiddle, but this software really is the dogs knees.

For long caching walks I'll still be working with my Garmin, and paper maps (you'll never take my OS maps from me!!! paperless? pah! :laughing: ) but this is just so incredibly handy!

Having played with the evaluation version I've now forked out for a good chunk of 1:50K mapping and registered the product for my N95. It's absolutely amazing!

I just generated a GPX file from GSAK of my local caches and have quickly imported into Viewranger where the caches are displayed on the OS map. It looks just like Memory Map in operation and certainly will make a very nice integrated Geocaching tool to carry around with me at all times.

Just like to add that I have just checked out SmartGPX and it has been recently updated. There is also an add-on for S60 3rd edition that enables it to work with an external GPS. You do have to get the add-on signed but there is a link explaining how to do this. I have just installed it on an N80 and after loading a Pocket Query of 500 Geocaches I can now go geocaching. I took a while to figure out how to do this but I got there in the end - add the Geocache to the Landmark DB and navigate to this. Now to see how accurate it is. Not bad for free !

Edited by chipdick
Just like to add that I have just checked out SmartGPX and it has been recently updated. There is also an add-on for S60 series 3 that enables it to work with an external GPS. You do have to get the add-on signed but there is a link explaining how to do this. I have just installed it on an N80 and after loading a Pocket Query of 500 Geocaches I can now go geocaching. I took a while to figure out how to do this but I got there in the end - add the Geocache to the Landmark DB and navigate to this. Now to see how accurate it is. Not bad for free !

This is what I've been using for the last couple of months now. Works brilliantly. Only once have I not had the little green circle telling me I'm there, not too sure what went wrong on that occasion, as it was out by a good 100m. I'd just love it if I could make it work in good old feet. I don't do meters. So much so that I can't remember the last time I used the Etrex. Always carry it, just never use it now.

Richard

Just like to add that I have just checked out SmartGPX and it has been recently updated. There is also an add-on for S60 3rd edition that enables it to work with an external GPS. You do have to get the add-on signed but there is a link explaining how to do this. I have just installed it on an N80 and after loading a Pocket Query of 500 Geocaches I can now go geocaching. I took a while to figure out how to do this but I got there in the end - add the Geocache to the Landmark DB and navigate to this. Now to see how accurate it is. Not bad for free !

I used SmartGPX on a 18MB GPX file, it imported the whole file in about a minute. The application starts instantly and loading 3500 wpts does not take 10 secs (once imported). I LOVE it.

Sad to see that self-signing the add-on is no longer possible due to restrictions imposed by symbian :-(

No. Never will either.

I'll use my Garmin GPS12 (antiquated but damned near indestructible) with text files on an N70. Failing that, I'll use my 66 channel iBlue 747 with the N70 or the N95 if it really comes down to it.

The amount of Symbian software I have is astounding. I've trialled Geocache Navigator on both the N70 and N95. On the N95 with the larger screen and WiFi it's quite capable but while out and about with a GPRS connection it's abysmal. The application doesn't fit on the N70's screen and 45 minutes to download five caches and the local map through the GPRS connection is a disgrace!

If anyone wants a list of the S60 software that I have for v1, v2 or v3 phones, just drop me a note.

No. Never will either.

The amount of Symbian software I have is astounding. I've trialled Geocache Navigator on both the N70 and N95. On the N95 with the larger screen and WiFi it's quite capable but while out and about with a GPRS connection it's abysmal. The application doesn't fit on the N70's screen and 45 minutes to download five caches and the local map through the GPRS connection is a disgrace!

If anyone wants a list of the S60 software that I have for v1, v2 or v3 phones, just drop me a note.

Maybe you just had a bad connection or bad coverage area at the time, I've been in the middle of nowhere and got a list of caches up as normal.

I'm using it on the e71 and works well most of the time, i have the odd gitch where it's failed to load map overlay or has got stuck loading caches, but i usually quit and restart and it's been ok.

Maybe you just had a bad connection or bad coverage area at the time, I've been in the middle of nowhere and got a list of caches up as normal.

I'm using it on the e71 and works well most of the time, i have the odd gitch where it's failed to load map overlay or has got stuck loading caches, but i usually quit and restart and it's been ok.

The software that I have on my phone is a mobile version of the same used by cellular technicians when checking transmitters, the connection wasn't the issue on this occasion.

It's more likely that you've been using the E71's HSDPA connection rather than the GPRS that's on board my N70. While my N95 has HSDPA I'm not going to pay for the it when I can use GPRS on the N70 for free.

I'm sure you already know that HSDPA is 3.6Mbps while GPRS is only 28.8Kbps.

45 minutes for a GPRS download of the nearest five caches make me wonder how much bandwidth they're using to query and send the details of five caches from your location.

The software that I have on my phone is a mobile version of the same used by cellular technicians when checking transmitters, the connection wasn't the issue on this occasion.

It's more likely that you've been using the E71's HSDPA connection rather than the GPRS that's on board my N70. While my N95 has HSDPA I'm not going to pay for the it when I can use GPRS on the N70 for free.

I'm sure you already know that HSDPA is 3.6Mbps while GPRS is only 28.8Kbps.

45 minutes for a GPRS download of the nearest five caches make me wonder how much bandwidth they're using to query and send the details of five caches from your location.

ah, right, i get free access on my tariff so i don't worry to much what i'm using, just assume the phone will make the best link it can.

big diff between 28.8 kb and 3.6Mb, ah i remember dialling up my pc on a 28.8, heady days lol!!

and i admit, i wouldn't have even waited the 45 min, wld have given up ages before, kudos for patience lol.

I confess to not exactly waiting as such. I did go for a meal at a cafe while waiting. I might have reviewed the screen after each bite which got some peculiar looks from other diners but I often inspire odd looks from others anyway.

You're right about the E71 offering the best quality data speeds available. That's the way Nokia program their firmware. Can you tell I'm a technophile?