MUST HAVE software for Garmin Users

pippin65

c'mon y'all, what is the must have add-on software fro use with your gps? freeware, etc.

I bought google earth plus becasue it says it has connectivity of some kind with garmin and magellan units... don't know exactly what kind of connectivity but I'll let you know when my gpsr arrives

EasyGPS is a very user-friendly freeware to manage your waypoints and PQs.

GSAK is better but after a trial period you need to purchase the license to avoid the nagging screens. It's worth it if you catch the caching bug.

You didn't have to purchase Google Earth; with Garmin's MapSource, you can transfer your waypoints and tracks into the free version of Google Earth with the hit of a button. You can tell us later if it's worth it.

If you go paperless and get a PDA, you'll be looking for Cachemate (best for Palm IMO) or GPxSonar (best for PocketPC IMO) to manage the webpages offline on your PDA.

If you got a Cx Garmin, download the POILoader to help overcome the 500/1000 waypoint limit. Combined with GSAK, you'll be able to add up to 88 characters (I believe) with each POI you create.

That's about all I use.

Cheers.

As mentioned above, GSAK is a great database management and filter, and prepares the data to use in various programs/maps and GPSrs.

GPSBabel is a must have for converting waypoints and tracks to every different format.

G7ToWin is useful for managing and editing Garmin tracks.

SportTracks is great for managing your hikes, bikes, etc. It shows your tracks on an aerial photo, computes distance, time and elevation gains and profiles, records your statistics over days, weeks, and months.

If you got a Cx Garmin, download the POILoader to help overcome the 500/1000 waypoint limit. Combined with GSAK, you'll be able to add up to 88 characters (I believe) with each POI you create.

According to Garmin's website the POILoader is just that...a loader. What do you use to create the custom POI's? The preloaded POI's have all sorts of different data from what a geocache waypoint has....

AK

Edited by ar_kayaker

Even in a mapping unit without expandable memory Topo and City Navigator or Select are very valuable. I get more out of Topo on my Legend C, but Select helps out too. On the non "x" units you just can't load as much geography. GSAK is well worth its price for cache management and Cachemate only costs eight bucks. When I leave to go caching with my sweetie we stop at the local Gas and Gulp and spend $8 on a couple of Cokes, donuts and coffees. And don't forget the tiny little $3 a month for premium membership. Starbucks won't fill your cup for that.

hairball

According to Garmin's website the POILoader is just that...a loader. What do you use to create the custom POI's? The preloaded POI's have all sorts of different data from what a geocache waypoint has....

There are a few macros that will allow GSAK to export caches as POIs. I havnt looked for any programs to create POIs of other (non geocache) locations but Im sure there is something out there. The format is even simple enough that you could create them by hand if you just had a few.

There are a few macros that will allow GSAK to export caches as POIs. I havnt looked for any programs to create POIs of other (non geocache) locations but Im sure there is something out there. The format is even simple enough that you could create them by hand if you just had a few.

How do you find these macros?

There are plenty of threads about them in the GSAK forums.

Edited by sbell111

c'mon y'all, what is the must have add-on software fro use with your gps? freeware, etc.

I bought google earth plus becasue it says it has connectivity of some kind with garmin and magellan units... don't know exactly what kind of connectivity but I'll let you know when my gpsr arrives

For me, GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is invaluable. On my Palm M500, Cachemate is invaluable.

Of course, a Premium Membership is a must so you can create Pocket Queries to get all the cache data you need for your caching adventures. What are Pocket Queries? That site will tell all.

I also have City Navigator and Mapsource Topo maps and I switch between them on my GPSr depending on whether I am driving, or hiking.

AK

Garmin's POILoader creates POI waypoints from gpx or csv files. I only work with gpx files; you can create them using EasyGPS, GSAK or MapSource, among others.

Remember that unless you have Garmin software for a Garmin GPS or Magellan software for a Magellan GPS you will not be able to load that software on you GPS. Software is propriatary for GPS's. This is not 100% true since some users have found a way around this, but for most of us it is true. All these pieces of sofware that are mentioned above are to manage your software on your PDA or laptop, not to be able to install on your GPS. For my Garmin I use City Select (Now City Navigator) for getting point to point driving directions, which also works to get me a parking spot close to a cache. I have Topo for actually hiking to the cache. Neither of these pieces of software are absolutely necessary to find a cache, but they will make your life a whole lot easier.

:laughing:

I was looking into buying Google Earth plus because it says you can use your GPS in real time on your computer screen. I'm not sure how this would work, since you probably don't have an internet connection while you're in your car. If you find out any information about this, I would really like to know! Thanks!

Not a Garmin guy, but the computer software is not GPS specific.

GSAK - As with everyone else, GSAK cannot be left off your computer if you seriously want to get the most out of caching. With a Premium membership, it is a must to parse through all the PQ data. I have my whole PQ->GSAK->Cachemate automated with a batchfile and macro...

Cachemate - Again, this is a must on either Palm or WM handhelds. I have used it on both styles and it is more than worth the $8 to register... Technically, you do not even need GSAK, as you can take and copy the GPX version of the PQ directly into cachemate... Still GSAK is worth its weight in gold.

Other than that, I do not have any other software to deal with caching on either desktop or handheld. That is it... There is even a method, listed in the GPS Hardware topic of how to be completly paperless and automatically update your logs when you get back from the notes you make in Cachemate. I do not have the link handy, or I would post it, but a search will help with finding it.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents...

I was looking into buying Google Earth plus because it says you can use your GPS in real time on your computer screen. I'm not sure how this would work, since you probably don't have an internet connection while you're in your car. If you find out any information about this, I would really like to know! Thanks!

The paid version of Google Earth can read GPX files, while the free version only reads KMLs. But there are free utilities out there that will build KMLs from GPXs, so you may not need the paid version.

I use Garmin's free nRoute software for real time tracking on my laptop screen while in the cachemobile. (Well, free once you've bought City Navigator...) In a thread for Garmin users, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet. It makes caching too easy! The mapping software draws my route, shows my car on the route, announces all the turns, etc.

There's a method for using Google Earth this way, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have a Garmin Legend C (no x, bummer)

I'm not sure if this is still the case but mine doesn't talk NMEA across the USP connector. I bought Franson GPSGate to allow me to use it with non-Garmin software (specifically, streets and trips)

So right now I use

GPSGate

GSAK

Microsoft Streets and Trips

I hope to add a PDA to the mix but I'm not sure what OS it will have so I'll have to make a decision then.

SportTracks is great for managing your hikes, bikes, etc. It shows your tracks on an aerial photo, computes distance, time and elevation gains and profiles, records your statistics over days, weeks, and months.

That's funny that you mention that. As a road cyclist, I absolutely fainted when I first hit SportTracks webpage (yes, I work and love software). I was a Motionbased subscriber and almost from minute 1 of using SportTracks, I've never uploaded to Motionbased again.

Right now, here is my line-up for software:

GSAK (on my tablets)

Cachemate (on my PPC)

Beeline GPS (on my PPC)

TomTom or iGuidance (on my PPC)

GPSGate (on my PPC)

Trips and Waypoints (or GSAK) to export to the 60CSx

Sometimes I think I like the tech more than the hunt. ; )

;););)

Hello! I have been reading what you all have had to say about software for geocaching. I am new at this and have a Garmin e-Trex hand held tracker (yellow & black). Will any Garmin software be downloadable to my little e-Trex? Or do I have to have a C Garmin to use it? And can I really take the limit off my 500 waypoints if I get the Garmin software? I would love to experience the benefits of what you guys are talking about. (e.g. making it easier to find caches.) Is my little e-Trex too inferior to do what you guys are talking about, or does it matter? Thanks. Hockabee

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

Your little yellow will work just fine, and I live with that 500 waypoint limit even with my Vista C. If you have the cable for the GPSr, you can use EasyGPS or GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to work with the Pocket Queries you can build, since you are a Premium Member.

If you have a PDA, you can cache "Paperless." I use Cachemate on my Palm M500, although there are other options.

Hi I just a ordered the Etrex Venture CX and I cant wait for it to come I have a question about software I have a PC but I like my mac better will the GPS work with my mac? Also When I make a way point in the description area how mutch room is there could I add in the hint for the cache there? One last thing can I edit the description in the loc file before I load it on the the GPS? Any help would be great!

Thanks

Michael Kane

If you search the Forums, you will see some posts about software for the Mac. There are options, but on the PC, GSAK is the easiest choice to make because it is such a powerful piece of software that can do so much: Open pocket queries, Send waypoints to your GPSr, Export to your mapping programs, Export to your PDA, etc.

it's easy! all you have to do, is while you have an internet connection, zoom in to all the places you want to go. this saves it in the cache on your computer. then when you are on the road and have your gps hooked up to the computer, you open google earth as you normally would. it will then give you real time tracking. i have not tested this yet so dont take my word for it.