I've thrown down the gauntlet!

The Jester

There's a new Challenge cache available for all you people to strive for.

The Washington History Challenge (linky) is now published. You need to find all the caches in Washington that were placed during the first year of caching (5-3-2000 thru 5-3-2001). There are 33 of them, spread over the state. The cache page lists them all (with links).

Now while out and about trying for the Washington Delorme Challenge (which inspired this one) and/or the Washington State County Challenge (or if you've gotten those and want something new) you can also pick up the caches for this Challenge.

Ok for those who are interested, there should be a bookmark list of the 33 caches acessable from those pages and the challange page itself.

Thank you! I've not done a bookmark list before, so I was going to see about doing one tomorrow. I see there are now two lists on the page.

Woo hoo...two challenges down, another to go! Some of those look tough, but I'm game - would be glad to team up with anyone who wants to tackle them high-terrain ones. I've done a few on the list, but have a ways to go.

Thanks, Jester!

I now have the ability to keep a running find list of those trying the Challenge. Let me know that you want to counted, and I'll add you to the weekly update (Tuesday's generally).

Kai Team & Lignumaqua wrote a nice macro for GSAK that allows you to gather all logs (of any type) on a cache. With this data in my database, I wrote a macro to spit out a HTML table with find totals for a list of cachers. So with the weekly PQ for the 33 caches, I can now keep complete records for the Challenge. If my numbers don't match your's let me know, and we can figure out where the mis-match is (I've already done that for hydnsek - I was counting a DNF in the finds.).

...So with the weekly PQ for the 33 caches, I can now keep complete records for the Challenge. If my numbers don't match your's let me know, and we can figure out where the mis-match is (I've already done that for hydnsek - I was counting a DNF in the finds.).

Hey! What you're supposed to say is: "hydnsek helped me refine my macro so that only genuine finds are counted." <_<

Well, I would love to add myself to this one. But I'd feel pretty silly having my name up there when there's no way that I could do some of the caches, unless my life changes drasically.

Go for it! You never know when the ones you can't get will be archived! :ph34r:

:P

I'll keep an eye on the caches, and see if I can do them if I'm ever near them. Doesn't hurt.

Hmm, the Challenge is getting close to being done! The last update (today) shows lucyandrickie at 29 finds - but we have a mystery player at 31! (They haven't identified themselves, so I won't either.) It looks like Banana Slugs & High Places is the key cache for this Challenge.

It looks like Banana Slugs & High Places is the key cache for this Challenge.

I have hesitated bringing this up, but after talking to some other cachers during the last couple of weeks I have come to the conclusion that "Banana Slugs" should be pulled from the History Challenge. Why? Because it wasn't "placed" during the first year of caching.

I just emailed this info to Jester but I thought I'd share it with the group. The cache was originally posted by bigkid on July 19, 2001. Sometime after posting, he changed the placed date to March 4, 1979. That is the date engraved into the plaque at ground zero. This caused the cache to start showing up as the oldest in Washington, so after a while Jeremy (I think) changed the year to 2001. However, he didn't change the month and day and so it artificially shows up as being placed in the first year of caching.

I just edited the cache to the accurate placement date. I kept a spreadsheet of all caches as they came through for about the first year and a half of the game and so luckily I had records of that date.

I have hesitated bringing this up, but after talking to some other cachers during the last couple of weeks I have come to the conclusion that "Banana Slugs" should be pulled from the History Challenge. Why? Because it wasn't "placed" during the first year of caching.

I just emailed this info to Jester but I thought I'd share it with the group. The cache was originally posted by bigkid on July 19, 2001. Sometime after posting, he changed the placed date to March 4, 1979. That is the date engraved into the plaque at ground zero. This caused the cache to start showing up as the oldest in Washington, so after a while Jeremy (I think) changed the year to 2001. However, he didn't change the month and day and so it artificially shows up as being placed in the first year of caching.

I just edited the cache to the accurate placement date. I kept a spreadsheet of all caches as they came through for about the first year and a half of the game and so luckily I had records of that date.

Wow, that's fascinating info, thanks for sharing. I assume that explains the six-digit GC number; I had thought it was weird that Banana Slugs didn't have a 5-digit ID like the others at that time.

If Jester pulls it, we should have FTF almost immediately on the challenge, and I bet the June 30 outing might get leaner.

Edited by hydnsek

we should have FTF almost immediately on the challenge.

Neener neener! I know who it is B) . Opening bids for this information will begin immediately. :angry:

Hey, I was first. I told them a few weeks ago I was going to start a pool on which day they would finish. B)

And runhills is right - the real question is probably who will be second. MTB and lucyandrickie are good bets.

Edited by hydnsek

When I was setting up the WHC I'd considered not including BS&HP because I'd heard that it was placed later, but had no details. I'm being a little generous already by including Coyote Lookout which was placed on the first anniversary, but if I keep BS&HP then I feel I should also add my first cache, MRSR Silver, which was placed only five days later (7-24-01). :angry:B)

So, to keep things accurate, as of now BS&HP is no longer a requirement for the WHC - the page will be edited to reflect this soon. Hmmm... Should I adjust the list co-ords as they are an average of the co-ords of the oldie caches... I wouldn't for archived caches, but this is being removed from the list. I guess I'll have to adjust the difficulty as this was the only 5* on the list.

Sometimes I don't pay enough attention. I knew that Top 'O The Field GCA69 was placed there first, but yet was not on the list.

Wow, that's fascinating info, thanks for sharing. I assume that explains the six-digit GC number; I had thought it was weird that Banana Slugs didn't have a 5-digit ID like the others at that time.

If Jester pulls it, we should have FTF almost immediately on the challenge, and I bet the June 30 outing might get leaner.

Well I am still going!

I know that I was never going to be the FTF on this challange but I still plan on compleating all the caches by the campout.

:):laughing::o:laughing::o:laughing::o:(

I just received word that a second person - Hydnsek - has completed the requirements for the Challenge!

So do I let them 'duke it out' for FTF on the final? :) Or do I let the First To Qualify also get the FTF? :laughing: Our "Mystery Player" sent his notice in about 7 hours ahead of Hydnsek.

Well, I believe that there was a person who finished in the top ten for the Delorme Challenge who got the final coords before another person, but the previous person could not get to the final for a few days so lost out their placing to that next person.

Not the same as a FTF, perhaps, I just thought it was interesting to note. I'm not sure what's best.

Well it looks like I am better off on this challenge than the highest challenge.

I have 14 of them without even trying.

I could have sworn I did Uplink's Interurban Trail cache but I don't see my log for it.

Question how can any new folks do this challenge since Mountain Marsh is gone? I wish I would have done that one when I was done there last year!

Edited by MarcusArelius

I see there are some others who have mentioned they would like to do this one, but cannot for health, or other reasons.

However, this is such a good idea, that I am going to work on the list and see how many of these I can find. I will not be able to do the whole thing, but for my own enjoyment that shouldn't stop me from finding as many as I can. (Even if that turns out to be less then half.)

Should be a fun, historic way to add something to my caching. Thank you for making up that list.

Question how can any new folks do this challenge since Mountain Marsh is gone? I wish I would have done that one when I was done there last year!

Sounds like there needs to be official confirmation the cache is gone, and archival, and then Jester will likely take it off the list. Maybe we need to mount a posse to verify, perhaps The Return of Phil and Cathy's 1000th Cache Event, Two Years and 3500 Caches Later. :laughing:

Sounds like there needs to be official confirmation the cache is gone, and archival, and then Jester will likely take it off the list. Maybe we need to mount a posse to verify, perhaps The Return of Phil and Cathy's 1000th Cache Event, Two Years and 3500 Caches Later. ;)

I'm game for that. Depending on date, of course.

I haven't done it so I can't do this one alone.

Sounds like there needs to be official confirmation the cache is gone, and archival, and then Jester will likely take it off the list. Maybe we need to mount a posse to verify, perhaps The Return of Phil and Cathy's 1000th Cache Event, Two Years and 3500 Caches Later. ;)

I'm in...

And now we can reveal who the Mystery Player is/was: RUCK! He just posted his find on the Challenge! Congratulations to both Hydnsek and Ruck for their photo finish!

The Challenge is to find the CURRENTLY available oldie caches, if one is archived it is no longer needed to qualify (and will reduce the total found for all current players). If the total number of oldie caches falls below 20, the Challenge will end. We will have to wait to see if Mountain Marsh is missing and replaced or archived - but is currently on the list.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by The Jester

Finally, someone realizes that I AM the queen of everything! :D

Lucy

We always knew, we just didn't want it to go to your head. :D (And I hope that is lucy speaking.) :D

CONGRATS on completing the WA History Challenge, you two! I know the oldie caches have long been your faves, so very fitting that you are one of the first finishers! Woo hoo! :D