What's on your feet?

I swear by Tevas.

For most hikes:

6502-MNSG-PROD.jpg

For longer hikes, unsure footing, etc. :

6960-DGGR-PROD.jpg

They are light, keep my feet cool since I don't have to wear socks or heavy footwear and extremely comfortable.*

*These statements have not been approved by the FDA.

The poster has not received any monetary endorsements by promoting these products.

No Tevas were hurt in the making of this post.

I have a few favorites :laughing:

Summer time in the rough and shale are my Merrell Sawtooth boots. Lighter terrain are my Solomon trail shoes. Winter are my Merrell winter boots (forgot the name) and for serious snow/ice are my Lowe mountaineering boots. Water wear are my Merrell convertibles, but I really like the newest trend coming along now. The crossover wetwear shoes that are shaped and built like a good trail running shoe with huge slots cut out of the sides and meshed over. They look like they would be fine submerged completely and be pumped dry in about 10 steps after. I think they're called chameleons.

I do 95% of my outside walking be it caching, yardwork or hanging out in Merrell shoes. They've been the longest lasting shoe I've owned hands down.

Occassionally I will wear work boots if needed. I don't even know what brand my wife bought...Red Wing maybe.

As often as not I geocache in my Dr. Martens (steel toes). Otherwise, Tevas (some three year-old pair) or a pair of Merrell "CHAMELEON WRAP VENTILATOR MID" shoes. The Merrells are great for summer but in the winter I have to be careful about slogging through wet grass or my feet get wet. Fortunately, they dry out pretty fast too.

Despite the fact that I hate heavy shoes (DM's are not at all light) I find that the DM's are on my feet most often and, frankly, I'm too lazy to switch them just to go after some simple geocache.

:laughing: Umm... anything I can get in a size 15! :anitongue:

I can typically be found in Hitec Altitude waterproof hikers and Smartwool socks, although if I could get ahold of a pair of Keen hikers in a 15 I'd snatch 'em in a second, but they seem to only make them up to 14... :laughing: They make a winter boot and a water shoe in a 15, but nothing else. I've got the water shoes, most comfortable pair of footwear I've ever owned. :laughing:

Edited by Too Tall John

I have a rather large foot, and thus it is hard for me to get shoes a lot of the time. I wear a pair of Scarpas now. Rather heavy at around 1kg each. The first pair I got, one seemed to be rather uncomfortable to me but I put up with it during the wearing in period. Eventually, could not take it anymore and put them side by side, the LHS was at least 2 sizes smaller than the other, even though it was marked as a euro size 50. I took em back, they no longer had that type anymore, so they upgraded me to a higher quality boot.

With these, I wear 2 pairs of socks, a thin smooth inner sock, and a thicker outer sock.

I used to wear hitec brand, but nobody seems to stock my size which is a pity, I lived in my old leather pair till the sole was almost smooth.

I find the scarpas good, except on anything wet, then they become ice skates and are dangerous and you kind of get paranoid that your gunna do the splits real soon.

My feet also sweat a LOT when doing long hikes, so, in a full grain boot, it don't get out. I either have to stop and let the sock dry out and my feet as my soles swell up too, or, take a spare set of socks to change into. Anyone else suffer from the same problem?

Edited by Team Webguy

My beloved Montrails with Gore-tex. I went trekking through a stream up to my knees and my jeans were soaked but my feet were dry.

For myself, I typically find that if boots are uncomfortable for me to wear while sitting in the car, then they're probably going to have enough ankle support to get me through the toughest hikes. Oh, and I'm addicted to Thorlo socks.

I swear by Tevas.

For most hikes:

6502-MNSG-PROD.jpg

For longer hikes, unsure footing, etc. :

6960-DGGR-PROD.jpg

They are light, keep my feet cool since I don't have to wear socks or heavy footwear and extremely comfortable.*

*These statements have not been approved by the FDA.

The poster has not received any monetary endorsements by promoting these products.

No Tevas were hurt in the making of this post.

Picked up some Teva's this past weekend. They are awesome !!! ;) Thanks for your review. :D

Well, carrying on with Moose Mob's suggestion:

Let's pick on a different topic for awhile, OK? Maybe lame shoes?

fivefingers.jpg

I saw these in the store the other day, & wondered "Why?" Better traction? Fit? Or just because they can?

As far as Tevas go, what about in rocky terrain? Aside from the fact that it's an open toed shoe with no protection, it has no ankle support. If I'm leading a hike & someone shows up in something like that, they change before we go. I'm a Wilderness First Responder, but sure don't want to use my training...

For sandal-type kicks, I prefer my Keen Newport H2s ...

1160658.jpg

For caching and light hiking, I prefer any one of my three pair of Merrells (Chameleon Stretch Gore-Tex®, Chameleon (the older style) or Caper). They don't need breaking in, are super-comfy right out of the box, and have a female-specific foot bed (Q-Form) in their women's styles. The Gore-Tex® pair are supreme for early morning and after-the-rain walks in the field.

1115223.jpg

For more aggressive hiking and backpacking, I really dig my Asolo Styngers ... Gore-Tex®, baby! Plus, they just look all hike-y!

706758_597Prd.jpg

For warm weather, I like my Keen Newport sandals. My feet get hot easily and these provide good air circulation, as well as good protection for the toes. When I had my Tevas, they were always scooping up sticks! :lol: I've had no problem going up any mountains or rocky terrain in them. The grip on the sole is excellent. I like having the option of wading through streams!

keen-sandals.jpg

For cold weather, I've had good results with Acadia Waterproof Hikers, with Merino wool socks.

47965lt_Storm_Blue.jpg

Quite by accident I found the best boots for me, Vasque Catalyst Mid GTX XCR (what a name, sounds more like a sports car than boots!). These boots have a wide foot bed perfect for my feet. They're just water-resistant enough to handle all the terrain I cover frequently. As for socks, nothing special, just Walmart tube socks. In the snow I switch over to REI Smartwool hiking socks.

When buying a boot select one for fit and compfort. Forget about brand names look for support and comfort. Go to a good outdoor specialty shop and plan on spending time trying on different styles and brands. Ask the sales person at the store it you can take them home and wear them around the house for a while. You can't really get a good feel for a boot after wearing it for just a few minutes.

When buying boots, try them on with the socks you will be wearing with them, a pair of socks can effect the fit of a boot. If you plan on wearing heavy thick socks, try the boots on while wearing heavy thick socks.

As far as sock selection, use a sock made for hiking. I like to use 33% to 100% wool, wool will wick the moisture away from our feet. One thing I never put on my feet is Cotton, cottin will absord moisture but it will not wick the moisture away from your feet, this may cause foot health issue in the future.

For myself, I use a boot that is about 6 inches high, I want the ankle support, you can not get akle support from a boot the does not cover your ankle.

For my feet I have gotten my best fits with boots made by Vasque, Asolo, and Sportiva.

There are other brands that would also be a good choice for such as Merrill, Technica, Rocky to name a few.

I guess for me, it started early. Working on a farm as a teenager, I wore workboots.

After high school, as a Marine, I was required to wear steel-toed workboots daily.

Even working retail and in a factory for the 15yrs after that, workboots have been my footwear of choice.

My last pair were an 8" Red Wing Logger....I used them for 4yrs of caching. Steep, muddy hikes, long flat hikes, creek-walking, river crossing, swamp busting....As well as daily use at work.

They lasted a good 8 years. Probably would have lasted 10 if I had oiled them, and seen to the soles sooner.

The have been the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.

I just got another pair. http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1409

I stick with an 8" since they are not too high for summer hikes (plus I wear shorts with them), and they are insulated. I just wish they had Goretex liner, or were waterproofed better. Once in awhile the tall heel can be a pain, since its easy to place it at the wrong angle and my ankle will twist.

Unfortunately, this new pair may have a problem. I bought them on ebay from a "reputable" looking seller. They are factory seconds. They looked fine when i got them about three months ago. The soles are already starting to split from the leather foot bed. So caveat emptor...

As a note, I also have a pair of Vasque mid-hikers. They are comfortable, but I feel "nekkid" without the upper ankle support. The Goretex liner is great. These are waterproof even after years of use, and the sole starting to separate. I guess I prefer a heavy boot. The vasques almost feel like I'm not wearing anything.

When buying a boot select one for fit and compfort. Forget about brand names look for support and comfort. Go to a good outdoor specialty shop and plan on spending time trying on different styles and brands. Ask the sales person at the store it you can take them home and wear them around the house for a while. You can't really get a good feel for a boot after wearing it for just a few minutes.

When buying boots, try them on with the socks you will be wearing with them, a pair of socks can effect the fit of a boot. If you plan on wearing heavy thick socks, try the boots on while wearing heavy thick socks.

As far as sock selection, use a sock made for hiking. I like to use 33% to 100% wool, wool will wick the moisture away from our feet. One thing I never put on my feet is Cotton, cottin will absord moisture but it will not wick the moisture away from your feet, this may cause foot health issue in the future.

For myself, I use a boot that is about 6 inches high, I want the ankle support, you can not get akle support from a boot the does not cover your ankle.

For my feet I have gotten my best fits with boots made by Vasque, Asolo, and Sportiva.

There are other brands that would also be a good choice for such as Merrill, Technica, Rocky to name a few.

Thanks for the lesson on how to fit/select a boot, but I believe the OP asked about our choice of footwear. That said, what do you wear??? :lol::D:angry:

Footwear is an important part of Geocaching. :blink: Especially depending on what region you live in or where you might be caching while traveling. Some might require waterproofness or light trail shoes. Others might need backpacking boots for those long rugged hikes over difficult terrain. :lol: I have been hiking and backpacking for many years and have owned all kinds of boots, some good, some bad.

Currently my favorite hiking boots that I use for geocaching and day hiking are the Vasque Kota Mid GTX XCR. They are comfortable, lightweight, waterproof and have a nice grippy tread. They are not a backpacking boot but more of a hiking-multisport boot with great ankle support. They are a little spendy but worth it for those long and short hikes.

Also don't forgot about socks. You might own the most spendiest boots, but if you do not have the correct socks, your feet will be suffering. I used to exclusively use Thorlo socks but tried the Smartwool's and love them. I used to wear wool socks while I was in the military and hated them, but the merino wool socks are the bomb. The Smartwool medium hiking crew sock is my choice and is also the Backpacker Magazine editors choice for best all around hiking and outdoor sock. The lightweight hiking crews are also nice too! :D

So tell me what your choice footwear is! :angry:

I was able to get my hands (feet actually) on brand new pair of size 13 US Army regulation steel toe desert combat boots. Just like the kind they use in Iraq. I love them because they are solid, comfortable, and very water resistant. These boots fit my feet well. Almost like they were made for my feet. I don't use any special socks, just regular athletic socks that I get from Wal-Mart and I never had a problem with blisters.

This is an interesting thread. I've been checking out a number of the suggestions on the web. I'm very interested in the Smartwool socks that so many folks seem to love. I've checked them out on the web as well. Are these available at any "normal" retail stores or do you have to go to an outdoor specialty store to find them? (I'm at work so I can't exactly go out and look for myself at the moment!)

I'm very interested in the Smartwool socks that so many folks seem to love. I've checked them out on the web as well. Are these available at any "normal" retail stores or do you have to go to an outdoor specialty store to find them?

I've seen Smartwool dress socks in regular stores, but not the hiking socks. I've only seen them in outdoors stores. LL Bean, Campmor, REI, EMS, etc...

Ok. I checked a few online stores and found what appears to be a better item. I'm wondering if anybody has tried these.

On the REI site they sell the Smartwool Hiking Socks for $16.95. The specs for them are:

Specs:

SmartWool Hiking Socks

SpecificationDescription greydot.gifFabric70% merino wool/29% nylon/1% elastic greydot.gifHeightCrew

However, the REI site ALSO sells the REI Merino Wool Hiking Socks for $11.50. The specs for those are:

Specs:

REI Merino Wool Hiking Socks

SpecificationDescription greydot.gifFabric78% wool/20% nylon/2% Lycra spandex greydot.gifHeightCrew

The REI brand actually has MORE of the Merino wool and less nylon and are a much lower price.

Any comments? Anybody done an actual "wearing" comparison? Are the Smartwool socks thicker? It seems to me that the REI socks might be a better buy.

I wear the Smartwool "hiking" and "trekking" socks every day. They are wonderful. Much of what's good about them lies in what they don't do:

• they don't itch
  • they don't require liner socks
  • they don't promote blisters or hot spots
  • they don't require special washing
  • they don't wear out

That said, I have no idea whether there are other socks that are just as good--I have no reason to switch.

BTW, Smartwool makes their socks in varying weights. I believe the progression is "light hiker," "hiker," and "trekking." My boots fit better with a slightly thicker sock, so I wear the "trekking" socks with them; "hikers" with trail runners and other shoes.

Edited by Mule Ears

The best hiking boots I ever owned were made by Salomon. I had them for years. They retailed for $180 but I got them on trade for photographic services to Moosejaw Mountaineering. Man, I loved those boots. :D

Now I go with whatever is on sale and try to stay with a quality boot in the $60-$80 range.

The best hiking boots I ever owned were made by Salomon. I had them for years. They retailed for $180 but I got them on trade for photographic services to Moosejaw Mountaineering. Man, I loved those boots. :D

Now I go with whatever is on sale and try to stay with a quality boot in the $60-$80 range.

Gore tex Vasque. Wore a pair of all leather Vasque hikers for 20 years, threw them away. New technology of boots is amazing. Vasque may be pricey, but having had bunions and other foot ailments, quality is worth it. The internet is an amazing place for value/comparitive shopping

I have a couple pair of $16.00/pair Smartwool socks :D, but I also got some good socks at Target that are like Smartwool, but cost less than half as much. :D

That sounds like it could be a bargain, do you remember the brand?

Hmmmm . . . no, but on the toe, they have a large 'G' and a what looks like a backwards 'C'. They really look like they could have been manufactured in the same place as the Smart Wool socks.

Edit to add appropriate quote

That would be Champion's newest line to compete with Under Armor and Smartwool. Good quality, half the price! Go great with my Merrell Mid Hi boots that I am so fond of only because they "hold" in this lava like sediment they call dirt around the hills of Reno, NV :D

Ok. I checked a few online stores and found what appears to be a better item. I'm wondering if anybody has tried these.

On the REI site they sell the Smartwool Hiking Socks for $16.95. The specs for them are:

Specs:

SmartWool Hiking Socks

SpecificationDescription greydot.gifFabric70% merino wool/29% nylon/1% elastic greydot.gifHeightCrew

However, the REI site ALSO sells the REI Merino Wool Hiking Socks for $11.50. The specs for those are:

Specs:

REI Merino Wool Hiking Socks

SpecificationDescription greydot.gifFabric78% wool/20% nylon/2% Lycra spandex greydot.gifHeightCrew

The REI brand actually has MORE of the Merino wool and less nylon and are a much lower price.

Any comments? Anybody done an actual "wearing" comparison? Are the Smartwool socks thicker? It seems to me that the REI socks might be a better buy.

I haven't worn those exact REI socks but I have worn many other wool socks with similar blends. They provide varying degrees of comfort. The ones that came the closest to Smartwool were made by Rhoner, but Smartwool is better than most of the rest by a large margin.

I wear the thicker Trekking Smartwool socks. My wife prefers the thinner Light Hiking type.

First and foremost: Smartwool, always. The only reason I wouldn't be wearing something smartwool, every day of the year, would be if I were not out walking that day (i.e. wearing tennis shoes) or not wearing close-toed shoes (read: sandals) and it was too warm to wear my pull-over smartwool quarter-zip top.

Spring, Summer (even in the south), Fall, Winter. The only thing that varies, is the length/thickness of the sock I wear. I have worn them for years (pretty much since they first came out) and it would be a rare thing if I had anything else on my feet. I DO have 'cold' issues and they are, pretty much, the only socks that work consistently.

A funny: because there is generally little variety in the socks (i.e. all of my summer shorty socks are grey smartwool with a lime-green trim, all of my winter tennis shoe shorty socks are grey smartwool with a grey thing around the back) I was asked a little while back (by someone who'd been around me while I'd had my shoes off for a few days in a row - you know, like we'd go somewhere and I'd take my shoes off when we got there sort of a thing) "Do you just wear the same pair every day?!"

Yah. That's it.

I've noticed lately that some of my socks are wearing thing so it must be time to invest some more money in them. Ka-ching.

Ch a c o s , with my faves being those that wrap around my toe to minimize slippage.

Obviously these aren't for hiking (for most people), but in warmer weathered places, (and for flatlanding it) I've always got them on my feet. The benefits? Cool feet... they make it easier to see ticks... and I know which of my ten toes are sensitive to poison ivy (no, it's not all of them!)

After a particularly nasty wet winter, and having purchased and tried any number of boots that all ultimately proved to NOT be waterproof despite their claims in the weather here (Vasque - NOT... Merrell - NOT), I plunked down 2 bucks and bought REI boots similar to these which were made by Raichle. LOVE them.

I have a pair of Keen Targhee's which are daBomb, too. In fact, I have quite a large number of Keen shoes, and while they're all not 'caching' material, they've got to be some of the most comfortable shoes in my repertoire. In fact, I'd like to have these... please? I am pretty sure I can convince the boss they're 'office casual'.

:ph34r::ph34r:

We're planning on picking up Salomon trail runners for the summer festivities. Not great scrambling shoes, but ... I've heard fab things about them for hiking/running/outdoor things. I'm planning on getting the gore-tex for myself as it will keep my feet drier and therefore give me LESS excuse to not be out hitting the pavement when it's wet.

But, I have to admit, I've become pretty partial to these boots for caching:

astch8bts06-2.jpg

They're not everybody's cuppa, but the rest of the things that go with them add a whole 'nother level of fun to chasing down boxes.

:D

michelle

I try to wear birks as much as I can in the warm season...which work most walking situations.

When I hike, my dream boots are Vasque Goretex. However, last time I went boot shopping I couldn't find them anywhere, so I had to settle for waterproof Timberlands. They are lighter and cheaper...but no Vasques.

I got caught in a pinch on Friday. Wore the birks to a walking-micro. Couldn't find it, got another cache recommendation at the site...went there, and suffered pea-sized gravel intrusions, as well as slipped/slided all over a rocky mountain climb.

I need to find a pair of textile sandals with grippy soles.

I try to wear birks as much as I can in the warm season.

And you voted for Ralph Nader I bet. :ph34r:

I wear Birkenstocks to work every day and most of the time when not at work. Yes, even during much of the winter and NOT with socks. At home I'm barefoot quite a bit. I only wear my shoes when caching due to having removed a hunk of a big toenail one night while caching on uneven terrain wearing the Birkenstocks. I asked my wife for boots for my birthday one time after doing a dangerous cache where I needed good footwear with good traction to avoid going over the cliff. I wear them most of the time I cache now, only occasionally wearing tennis shoes instead when I know for sure the cache is in super easy terrain.

I didn't vote for Nader. :D

They're not everybody's cuppa, but the rest of the things that go with them add a whole 'nother level of fun to chasing down boxes.

:rolleyes:

michelle

What are you riding Michelle?

I dig my DR650 when hunting for ammo cans in the wild.

BTW, Smartwool Expeditions in Vasque Sundowners have kept me going for the past 20 years.

Heck, Smartwool in my Alpinstars too, and Sidi's...

I get a new pair of Merrell Chameleon Stretch every year - log about 15-20 hiking miles each week, so by early spring, they have no cushion and are useless. They are awesome, you never have to break these babies in!

When I'm in the yak, I wear a pair of Keen Newport H2's which are also decent for the trail on a hot summer day.

Right now my feet are in the buff!!! :)

I have a couple pair of $16.00/pair Smartwool socks :), but I also got some good socks at Target that are like Smartwool, but cost less than half as much. :)

Campmor has Smartwools on sale for $11+ for the medium weight hikers. These are my choice and I wear them any time I'm wearing my Danner Radical 452 GTX Hiker.

Past shoes have always included a Goretex liner. Staring at a GPSr leads to many missteps into puddles, plus I never paid much attention to where I was walking anyway.

Although my shoes have changed over the years, since starting with the Smartwools, I worn nothing else. I even wear the Smartwool dress socks.

B)

michelle

What are you riding Michelle?

I dig my DR650 when hunting for ammo cans in the wild.

BTW, Smartwool Expeditions in Vasque Sundowners have kept me going for the past 20 years.

Heck, Smartwool in my Alpinstars too, and Sidi's...

I wear smartwool snowboarding socks in my Alpinstars... they're perfect! In a cheaper (read: less padding than the Tech 8) boot, they probably wouldn't be thick enough and I'd have to upgrade... but they're just slightly shorter than knee-hi and work well with the full length riding boots.

I bought a WR250F that I don't ride much anymore... because I spend most of my time on my YFZ450. My partner usually rides the WR250F instead of his YZ250 (which isn't nearly as trail-friendly for any number of reasons and runs on race gas... you guys think 'normal' gas is expensive? ka-ching!)

The 4-strokes are proving easier to trail ride, especially in the sand. (But I gotta tell you, I love the smell of a well running 2-stroke machine and covet a pimped out Banshee.)

I suspect that at least one utility quad is in our future... altho a heavily modified Rhino 660 would be a helluva lot of fun, too. I'm convinced that it would be far less physically damaging when crashing (no matter who's riding the YFZ450... it gets crashed and flailing body parts are usually hurt - it's pretty heavy when it flips over on top of you!)

michelle

Campmor has Smartwools on sale for $11+ for the medium weight hikers. These are my choice and I wear them any time I'm wearing my Danner Radical 452 GTX Hiker.

Sounds like a good price until I add on the shipping. Appx. $7 to ship one pair of socks. I need to find a local retailer and avoid the stupid shipping charges.