UK Geocachers by Gender

Despite the name we are two, one of each as Jennie's Dad decided to join in but not to have his own login. We have done most of ours together, but 2 on our own each.

I have been confused as to how many of the males and females have been dogs and other pets.

As for safety I think everyone should have a plan for emergencies of any type. At least with a GPS it would be possible to give an exact location if calling the emergency services. However a GPS and mobile are also items worth stealing. Few things are worth getting hurt for.

Maps are not worth stealing and are also used by muggles, so good camouflage. Keep the GPS and mobile safely out of sight. When you have got close to the right location, check there are no muggles about you'll be safe to use the GPS.

Always be aware of the nearest place to go for help. Maps help for that too. A really loud whistle can be a deterent as well as a call for help.

Chocolate is good as an emergency ration, but Kendal Mint cake doesn't melt as easily.

Sorry, rather off the subject. I'll stop now. :blink:

Im female i drag my other half along cause i am to frightened to cache on my own but he was never very intrested although he is alot better now and secretly enjoys it i think

Same here. I am the only one who has become addicted. Mr Midnight Rambler has never even visited the website and can often be seen scrambling through hedges - not to find caches - to retrieve the GPSr he has thrown there in a tantrum. :blink: I encourage him to use it, he needs all the practice. And it means one less thing for me to carry :(.

I have got braver recently and done caches on my own. I love it so much that I cannot let my fear of "what might happen" stop me doing it.

His and hers most of the time - his if theres any way out of the chores/work/visiting/gardening/anything else........

Incidentally, we've been asked by a single lady if its ok to go out on her own, so we'll show her this link - should convince her that its ok.

L&H

Me and hubbie. Female and Male. Obsessed and reluctant. Non-driver and driver.

On hubbie's day off, it usually goes a bit like this:

Rob: "Ooh, I've got a day off. Where shall we go?"

Becky (secretly recalling mental map of caches in southern England): "How about we go to (insert seemingly random placename here :D ).

Rob: Okay. Shall we go shopping there?

Becky: Yes, that's a good idea... oh, no hang on, that doesn't seem fair, you don't really like shopping (actually he does - I don't). Ooh, I think there are some caches near there actually. Shall we do those B) ?

Rob: :P Okay, print them out then.

****** later in the day ******

Rob: I'm tired, time to go home now :) .

Becky: Well, we might as well kill two birds with one stone. If we go home this way, there's a cache here. Seems from the description that it's quite a short walk B) .

Rob: :D

****** some time later ******

Rob: But the GPSr says that the cache is 2 miles away B) .

Becky: Yes, but we're here now, so we might as well have a look B) .

Rob: B)

Becky: I tell you what, if we find it, we'll reward ourselves with a Chinese Takeaway on the way home.

Rob: B)B)B)B) Let's go and find it! :D:D:D

Becky: B)

I'm David (Big DaBeEm), these days i mostly cache alone - both Middle DaBeEm (Ben) and Mini DaBeEm (Emily) are now teenagers and its not quite so easy to get them out now. Although they both like urban micro caches where stealth is required and Ben (also an Explorer scout) occasionally likes a good walk and caching. Part of the problem, i think, is that most trips now generally require a longer journey first, and a lie in seems to be more appealing than sitting in a car!

Female, though several times in the past cachers who have known me by name only have assumed I was male. Don't know why!

Used to be a solo cacher until I met Jack Aubrey, another cacher, and we've been doing it together for two years now :huh: Jack's son, The 1st Lieutenant usually accompanies us. Although he insists he hates geocaching, I think he secretly enjoys it.

I can't often persuade my own teenagers to get involved but both Seiken and FeeBz have done some caching with me over the years. Seiken likes glens and dells with waterfalls and FeeBz likes an urban micro (and is adept at finding Parisian ones) or a short multi around a village with a teashop stop at the end.

Main cacher me, Chas, mostly caching alone. Diane doesn't mind caching occasionally especially if it involves a long walk and is an easy find but even then mainly leaves it to me and generally stands by and watches. She tends to limit herself to poking things with a stick and point out the blood pouring from various wounds as I emerge from prickly bushes. She doesn't like caches in pointless places so I'm very selective when on a joint mission and tend to organise a walk with a cache rather than a cache with a walk if you see what I mean.

His and hers most of the time - his if theres any way out of the chores/work/visiting/gardening/anything else........

Incidentally, we've been asked by a single lady if its ok to go out on her own, so we'll show her this link - should convince her that its ok.

L&H

Tell her not to worry - I'm a girl and I nearly always cache alone and I've never had any problems.

Obviously anyone out on their own should take care of their safety, but being female shouldn't make a difference. I figure it's far more dangerous walking home from work in the dark in winter than it is tramping through the countryside in daylight looking for tupperware. As long as your friend tells someone where she's going and has the right equipment with her she'll be fine.

I think I might have given a bit of a clue in my caching name :huh:

Mrs N only comes along if a cream tea is promised, a quiz cache is in the offing and a good shoe shop is somewhere along the way. On occasion one of my sons may come along (mcd1 and The Amazing Spider Man) but as the former is incarcerated in an MOD sixth form boarding school in Leics and the latter doesn't drive and has his own family commitments these events are rare. Miss N hasn't joined me hunting tupperware for a very long time and is unlikely to again unless kidnapped!

L&H

Tell her not to worry - I'm a girl and I nearly always cache alone and I've never had any problems.

Obviously anyone out on their own should take care of their safety, but being female shouldn't make a difference. I figure it's far more dangerous walking home from work in the dark in winter than it is tramping through the countryside in daylight looking for tupperware. As long as your friend tells someone where she's going and has the right equipment with her she'll be fine.

I geocache in all sorts of situations alone and female, city,town,country and mountains and have never felt threatened or have been threatened.

Most fears are in the head of ones own making so go out, enjoy yourself and get geocaching :huh:

My name sort of gives it away - I'm a female, half-hobbit/half-dugong. At times I have been mistaken for human but my liking for real ale, plentiful vegetarian food and basking in warm water gives away my true identity.

I mostly cache with my Lakeland Terror, Sandy. However at times my son, daughter or hubby will accompany me as sometimes I need someone to hold the dog's lead whilst I get down to business. They each have their own caching ID, and will occasionally show a brief flash of enthusiasm for caching when it introduces them to a cool location they haven't visited before.

To other female cachers who are afraid to go caching alone, I'd say - give it a go. In most areas you're more likely to get mugged going to the local shops than going out and about caching. Just avoid the local teenage boozing dens of an evening - the proliferation of lager cans and vodka WKD bottle normally gives them away. Exploring a new area by yourself is empowering - it'll give you a whole new sense of freedom! :huh:

I am new to this, two weekends so far 14 caches

I am male as my name suggests and I am usually acompanied by my sister Lizzie or girlfriend Charlotte (both female) and sometimes my nephew Billy (boy).

We all muck in a bit but I usually plan the caches at the start of the day.

My name sort of gives it away - I'm a female, half-hobbit/half-dugong. At times I have been mistaken for human but my liking for real ale, plentiful vegetarian food and basking in warm water gives away my true identity.

I mostly cache with my Lakeland Terror, Sandy. However at times my son, daughter or hubby will accompany me as sometimes I need someone to hold the dog's lead whilst I get down to business. They each have their own caching ID, and will occasionally show a brief flash of enthusiasm for caching when it introduces them to a cool location they haven't visited before.

To other female cachers who are afraid to go caching alone, I'd say - give it a go. In most areas you're more likely to get mugged going to the local shops than going out and about caching. Just avoid the local teenage boozing dens of an evening - the proliferation of lager cans and vodka WKD bottle normally gives them away. Exploring a new area by yourself is empowering - it'll give you a whole new sense of freedom! :D

I am not fussed about going places on my own, nor getting mugged. You dont get a lot of muggers in the Welsh mountains. It's more about falling or being injured and stuck somewhere with no one to get help. The weather plays a big part in caching expeditions in the mountains as well. <_<

You are 100% spot on about the freedom. I can sing as loud as I want and no one to complain. I do get some funny looks from the sheep tho <_<

Edited by The Red Kite

'Lonely' newbie girl here! I am not too nervous going on my own, but still, couple of days ago, sun was going down and the cars in the car park I thought were empty were not. It happened to be a dodgy meeting point for lonely gentlemen... <_< Oops. Bad thing was that I am sure they saw me acting 'suspiciosly' - trying to find the cache.

Also, my mum told me she had read a short novel on her local newspaper. it was about geocaching, and how some nutter was stalking lonely female cachers by letting them find a remote cache (which was full of news paper articles of missing women) and then... don't know what. Something v bad... Attack them. <_<

I hope this won't cause you bad dreams or put you off!

Lone female cacher, me. No car either which makes things a challenge. I'm not worried about being mugged when in the countryside (although being followed by cows in a field in the middle of nowhere can be unnerving :grin: ). I don't enjoy urban caching on my own so much but my height and build puts off most people from approaching me :grin:

I sometime team up with my 7 year old son Ravenclaws when I can drag him away from his school mates :laughing:

Me....female.

I usually go caching on my own or with one of my dogs (I have three) Dakota is my main caching friend as she needs more excercise.

Alfie the Jack Russell is travel sick (Yuk) so only goes to local caches and Muttley is a rescue dog and is very timid so only goes if I know it's a quiet place.

I have even ridden my horse to two caches, that was fun.lol

Sometimes my son and his girlfriend come with me when they visit for Sunday lunch. My two daughters don't like geocaching and think I'm crazy.

Also, my mum told me she had read a short novel on her local newspaper. it was about geocaching, and how some nutter was stalking lonely female cachers by letting them find a remote cache (which was full of news paper articles of missing women) and then... don't know what. Something v bad... Attack them. :o

I hope this won't cause you bad dreams or put you off!

Not so sure of this being the makings of an urban myth............ Badger #2 (my husband) made exactly the same comment when I dashed out one evening last summer to claim a FTF! He too thought I was possibly letting myself in for some trouble :o

BUT I have to say that I have never, in all the time I've cached alone, felt threatened. I may have felt a bit spooked in the woods, or lonely when I've felt away from civilisation, but never threatened. It's so heartening to read of all of the female cachers who enjoy getting out there. Long may it last!!!! :o

I'll have to do a quick tot-up to see where we stand with the 'gender' split - will post again soon!

Badger #1 :o

I am a male robot. Nearly always cache alone. About to start a new team to cover multi person aching which will be two of each gender but we're still arguing about what to call ourselves! At least it will be three new cachers joining me to swell the community numbers.

Just an idea: Would it be possible to add a gender split poll?

Options could be

a. female

b. male

d. team - mostly male

e. team - mostly female

f. Other!

About being afraid: this could even be a nice feeling, an adrenalin rush and a feeling of being 'alive'! Being threatened is a different thing...

Well, I'd hate to publish my findings - purely because I'm not sure about the maths :drama: but it looks like we're leaning toward a slightly more male-orientated caching community............

Despite some of the interesting posts, it would still appear to be - albeit marginally - the men out there who are the main cachers - my figures tell me its M = 43, F = 38

When it comes to teams it's often 'mostly male' teams - though to be fair, 4 Badgers would come under this heading, purely because we're Badger Mum, Badger Dad and two Badger sons. It's Badger Mum who's the most active cacher though, so I'm not sure what to make of that - none of the other Badgers would dream of going out to find a cache if it weren't for me! :sad:

Anyway, if anyone who's really whizzy with figures would care to do some real analysis - the data's here!

Happy Caching! :sad:

Mr & Mrs JBUK are both avidly interested. Mrs JBUK sometimes goes to events as the team representative on her own due to work commitments but we enjoy caching together :lol:

Mrs JBUK loves the navigating and its amazing how many more caches we find now we have Tomtom. Mr JBUK always looks like he hasnt got a clue where the cache is but in truth, he is being considerate and giving Mrs JBUK a chance to find it first :(

Hello, Im Mrs JBUK,

Pleaseee excuse my hubby, hes been on medication for some time now and when he forgets it

he hallucinates and his mind really wonders and he comes out with some really false statements.

I let him think hes found the cache just so he doesnt feel so inadequate, bless him... :(

Hope thats put a few things straight now ...LOL :rolleyes:

Mrs JBUK :laughing:

minxyy here just me (F) and three georats :lol: princessannie(10) an avid geocacher and apart from missing three when she was at school and I had a day off has completed all our cache finds with me! She also has an excellent cache nose abnd will root them out extremely quickly! Then there's Lectroboy(13) who will come when persuaded and has probably completed 50% of our finds, he's a master whizz at reading the GPSr and getting us there from 10 miles off! and Bugboy(15) welll looks like tyhe 15 yr olds are a breed unto themselves......as one birthday card read 'I thought I had a Brother... but it looks like he's been traded in for a duvet!' :(

On the point of safety ....I ALWAYS carry a mobile, ALWAYS put in the cars co-ords, ALWAYS have the GPSr and spare batteries .....and will check out quickest routes back to 'civilisation' on the map when I remember to bring one!

I have also taught all of the children how to take a co-ords reading and how to use the mobile to dial 999 and what to say. I have also shown them how to work out how far away from the car parking! Paranoid.....no just a chronic asthmatic who thinks that children with the ruight info are less likely to be scared and panic if armed with a PLAN to get help. At 62 caches now though and still haven't seen an ADDER! despite being more aware of them and this fantastic weathwer we've had.

Geocaching has given me a complete new less of life.......I was soooo stuck in a rut with work and children.....it's MY hobby despite having to drag the Georats along (which I enjoy)

Happy caching all whatever your gender of choice :laughing:

minxyy

Realised i had not contributed to this thread and it deserves a bump too! :D Tteggod Trackers nowadays is mostly me (male). Son 15 is the most likely assistant once he is out of bed!!Daughter 13 gives me a hard time about caching but once she is out she enjoys it...i think!

My partner enjoys coming along too so long as there's a bit of a walk, a view and a pub at the end!She likes to find the cache and on one occasion recently was rather peeved not to find a stage on a multi(i had to rehide it!!!) <_< Just like you do for kids! :D

Hi

The gang is basically Mr careygang who does all the caches, Mrs careygang who is keen but would never bother to go out on her own, and any of the children who happen to come along. Trouble is they are all away from home now, with the youngest at Uni.

So essentially the gang is a M + F.

Pirates of the Cache-ibbean are made up of me, cacherelle (the main obsessive cacher), First Mate Godders (who signed up first for gc.com), the littlest pirate (aged 15 and sometimes comes out) and the reluctant tallest pirate (aged 19 and comes out if I've been his taxi - it's a payback system!).

I'm definitely the driving force, and tend to find the caches whilst Godders is still arguing that it's in a different place according to the GPS :blink: I honestly try and let him find them first, but get impatient so wander off and usually find it! :D

As for going out alone, I've not been brave enough, in my more youthful days I would've as I was very fit and really strong........................having said that, being a teacher I have a lot of stress to let out!!

Me, Kharga, main cacher, usually accompanied by hubby Richard and collie Pepperdog01 who has her own geocache name!! It makes a change to me carrying the lunch etc while Richard photographs flowers and wildlife - check out our website www.rkmas.co.uk to see what we have been upto in Egypt!!!

Another one for the girl's side! I'm the main cacher in our 'team' and Adam only comes along for the walk and fresh air. He's also the technical support and retriever of caches in nettles/near creepy-crawlies.

I occasionally cache alone but I prefer having Adam along for someone to talk to. :laughing:

Lisa