UK Geocachers by Gender

Not sure whether anybody has ever raised a topic such as this........................ :anicute:

Just 'cos I'm nosey - I'd be interested to find out who we UK Geocachers are - in terms of gender.

So, for example, the 4 Badgers is a team / family of four, but the main cacher (that would be me :anicute: ) is female.

I've no ulterior motive here - and if you think this might be a bad idea, please tell me!!!! But, if you're also interested, then submit a post stating what gender you are / or the main cacher of your team is - it might be interesting..............

Over to you guys..................... :anicute:

Wizard William and Team Morris are as follows; me (dad aged 34), Zak (boy aged 6) - we are the main cachers. Then Fran (or mom aged 39) William (boy aged 9 - The team captain but being autistic ( quite severe ) he doesn't come on difficult caches) and Josh (boy aged 6 and twin of Zak). Josh doesn't overly enjoy our treasure hunting but his twin Zak loves it.

Hope this helps.

Male cacher of the family. Wife Sue despises caching. Chris - 16yrs - started but found other things boys of his age would rather do and finally Grace, 10yrs. Comes caching occasionally as long as there are no cows; sheep; horses; flies; spiders or anything small and creepy!

Basically then, it's me!

We're a team of one of each.

I do the driving on motorways and similar, she does the driving on twisty little roads and suchlike. I do the stuff that needs stretching up high, she does the stuff that involves getting down low. I carry the heavy equipment, she carries the first aid kit. She spots the ones that I miss, I see the ones that she can't see. I do the crypto puzzles, she does the Sudokos. I do the daft stuff like climbing and teetering near water, she stays on the ground ready to call for help if I come a cropper. I jump across streams, miss, fall into the water and onto beds of nettles to get stung all over, she falls about helpless with laughter while I pick myself up. She says "It's time to go home", I say "Just one more cache".

Well, I'm female, but despite the fact that he says he's not interested in caching, have only found one cache without my reluctant Insignificant other being present! He's quite often the one to find the cache, usually cos my head is buried in the gps, and he's looking at the pile of geosticks! So I suppose we're a team of one of each- one male one female, one interested one not, one observant one not!

Plus two Jack Russell Terriers :anicute: They're both girls, so that brings up the numbers!

Usually just me - male - although I have managed to get all my family out to at least one cache. My son 19 has an ID (caelash) but gave up very quickly, my daughter 21 at uni - she thinks I'm mad ... and that from a uni student. and my wife who has come out with me for a couple of short ones because she cannot walk very far.

Hi I'm Ally and it's just me on my own.

I occassionally go out with the rest of the family who cache under a differnt name, but I'm more into caching than them so it's normally just little old me.

Surprised to see how many other single females there are out doing this. I always thought geocaching would appeal more to the boys since it involves gadgets!

Good idea, because my geocaching name does not give away my gender. Its just me Bob a 50 year old male cacher, I nearly always go out alone. My son in law has come out a couple of times, and my wife has bought a pair of walking boots (I think they still have the tags on !!)

Tarot

I do the driving on motorways and similar, she does the driving on twisty little roads and suchlike. I do the stuff that needs stretching up high, she does the stuff that involves getting down low. I carry the heavy equipment, she carries the first aid kit. She spots the ones that I miss, I see the ones that she can't see. I do the crypto puzzles, she does the Sudokos. I do the daft stuff like climbing and teetering near water, she stays on the ground ready to call for help if I come a cropper. I jump across streams, miss, fall into the water and onto beds of nettles to get stung all over, she falls about helpless with laughter while I pick myself up. She says "It's time to go home", I say "Just one more cache".

What a great description - good compatibility! :anicute:

We're a team of two too... one of each sort.

MrsB :anicute:

I am usually accompanied by one or both of my two sons when out caching but the wife stays at home - enough clues there to say I'm male.

Looking up at the posts I was quite surprised at how many geobabes there are that have answered, I just assumed that it would be mainly a guy thing but it looks fairly well balanced at the moment - long may that continue.

Ian

Were a family of four, Me (F), Gareth (M) Beth (F) and Iwan (M). I would say the female members are the keenest of the team. In my case it's "any excuse to grab a cache", in Beth's it "Who can I beat to the cache" Saying that Gareth enjoys it too and Iwan will do anything for a quiet life.

Sarah

Im female i drag my other half along cause i am to frightened to cache on my own

Good point there scaw - I too go out caching alone but sometimes it does feel a bit too creepy out there all on my lonesome................ shame really, as it does get in the way of the numbers :anicute:

Looking up at the posts I was quite surprised at how many geobabes there are that have answered, I just assumed that it would be mainly a guy thing but it looks fairly well balanced at the moment - long may that continue.

Ian

Indeed, indeed!!! Glad I got this thread going now. Let's see whether it stays balanced! :anicute:

Female and only one of me (some would say Thanks Goodness) :anicute:

I cache alone and don't drive which makes it very limiting and frustrating. I don't have fancy gadgets, just the Geko and notebook. I prefer it that way. Oh, and the pushbike :anicute:

I'm not afraid to cache alone but sometimes end up in places and think "this is really stupid, what the hell and I doiing up here on my own" :anicute: Hasn't stopped me yet though.

My second son and his family are also cachers (Dancing Samurais and Tinkerbell) so we cache together when they visit. But the other two sons are not interested. ("Mum- I skate" H- 20yrs old).

I'm another female cacher, and I too sometimes find myself thinking "why am I here alone?!" so I try and cache with the two friends i've spread geocaching to. I recently had to take my 80 year old father to GC11WMT (sorry, i'd take days to make a clicky link) because I was a scaredy cat! How embarrassing :blink: I did the work though, he just stood there shouting "what exactly ARE we doing here?"

I'm female and I do the difficult challenge of deciding which caches we are going to do, printing out the log pages and typing up our visits.

Tony (hubby) does the easier parts of downloading the info, driving, usually finding the cache(grrrr) and getting me over styles and UPhills when needed and then driving home again :blink:

I'm female and I do the difficult challenge of deciding which caches we are going to do, printing out the log pages and typing up our visits.

Yes, that's me exactly. I also map read to locations.

Mark does the driving and the techie stuff. We both enjoy finding caches - probably an equal number of finds each.

Two youngsters (they don't like to be called "kids"), 16 (f) and 11 (m), who cache with us with varying degrees of enthusiasm depending on how long it is since they found a cache and whether their feet hurt. The 16 year old will elect to stay at home if we're doing a short-ish afternoon trip, the 11 year old isn't often given a choice.

I would cache more often but I there are some locations that I would not like to visit as a lone female.

So two of each.

:blink:

Edited to say: when it comes to setting caches, he will make the disguised micros and I make up the contents of tupperware boxes.

Edited by BikerKats

I'm Darac (Male) and my partner in crime, Darkhorse, is also Male. He does the logging while I get to rummage though the goodies. I think I've got the best bit of that deal! :blink:

Edited by Darac

Hmmmmm, if my figures are correct (and they may well not be :( ) we're up to the following:

Main Cacher = M 24

Main Cacher = F 18

Interestingly, the reluctant co-cachers are currently:

M = 4

F = 1

I assume from these figures that the girlies often have to take someone with them for 'protection' and / or 'company'. From my own experience, this is very much the case - even though I'd often rather cache on my own! ;)

Usually cache as a pair, 1 male 1 female.

Occasionally it's just me (male) but never just the other half.

Very occasionally the team is augmented by the elder daughter, but she is at uni now and hardly see her.

Very very occasionally joined by the younger one, but she hates caching.

Four of us; myself lead cacher, just! Male; then my wife and two boys. All are into caching we also have a daughter who is so obsessed she now has her own account: Keebee.

My wife found caching and now claims I am obsessed but when new caches pop up, its not always me racing first out the door!

So answer here is 2F(inc Keebee) & 3M.

I guess we're a team of two, I'm female, and though he's only got a logon this afternoon, Crocodilewings has been with me on all the caches (6 so far!) we've done.

I think the finds have been split 50-50 so far. I'm 5'3 & he's 6'2, so I do the low stuff, and he looks on high ledges, etc!

main cacher is me-female. I've done all the cachers, many local ones on my own. I've never got scared caching on my own. I do all the techie stuff though I'm not a pootah expert like loads of impressive others on the forums. mr c comes into his own with his really good geographical skills, sussing the lie of the land, driving the 4x4 on main caching trips out of our locality, controlling our 3 muts so's I can do the gps stuff and write logs, he's only done a couple on his own without gps. When one of us gets fixated looking in a particular spot the other makes the find. Our 2 grown up offspring are not interested (1m + 1f). :cool:

Maw and Paw are , hopefully, self explanatory and the Piglets are our two daughters. One of them protests , albeit feebly, about going out geocaching ( but enjoys every minute once she's out there) and the other is dead keen. Sibling rivalry re finding caches , Maw does the loading of co-ordinates and operating of GPS whilst Paw does the logging and the maintenance of our home record of finds.

A great family activity.

Mr & Mrs JBUK are both avidly interested. Mrs JBUK sometimes goes to events as the team representative on her own due to work commitments but we enjoy caching together :cool:

Mrs JBUK loves the navigating and its amazing how many more caches we find now we have Tomtom. Mr JBUK always looks like he hasnt got a clue where the cache is but in truth, he is being considerate and giving Mrs JBUK a chance to find it first :cool:

I'm a girl - I decide which caches to visit and in which order.

Mr Travers is the one that gets grumpy when we take a wrong turn and end up in a field or a bog. He's useful for negotiating bug infested swamps in Florida though, while I just stand around in my flip flops on a safe piece of ground giving directions!!!

Team of 4, with me, Mrs I being the main planner, rucksack packer, snack organiser, terrain speciailist (how steep is it???), print out & swaps organiser and log book filler in. Mr Incredible, carrys the heavy rucksack, lugs bikes over high locked gates and admires the view while the rest of us search for the cache. The younger half of the team, both male aged 9 & 12 think it is uncool to admit to liking geocaching and whinge constantly about going out, but love it once we actually start walking, they have banned their dad from looking for caches unless they get stuck and can't find it.

So another 1 female and 3 males, we have a 'Violet' from the incredibles keyring hanging from our rucksack as a mascot does she count?