Caching holiday ideas wanted

We're planning ahead and trying to decide on a location for a week's caching/walking holiday in September/October of this year, and we hoped you guys might be able to give us some ideas for places we've never been.

To give you an idea of the sort of places we like, we go to the Lakes usually every New Year and early summer, Derbyshire/Peak District at Easter and North Norfolk in late summer. Nik's family live in Gloucs and Rich's in Essex so we're already familiar with those areas. We live in Leicestershire so we've done quite a few caches in the county as well as Notts/Derbyshire. We've been considering Wales or Devon/Dorset but are happy to receive any other ideas.

We prefer self-catering accommodation, and would like a base that allows us to travel to several different areas over a week (rather than a tour along a route like the C2C walk for example). We can manage about 8 miles a day of walking and like to find as many caches as possible along the way.

So are there any areas of the country people would recommend as having good walking and lots of nice caches as well as somewhere to stay and preferably some nice places to eat out in the evenings? Its a tall order I know but we're sure someone can come up with the goods!

Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

niknrich

You would be hard pressed to beat The Yorkshire dales for a walking holiday, and there are more than a few caches around ...............

.....not walking, but hire a narrow boat from somewhere and do The Plough series by aRRKs as a climax.

Mega!

I am biased, but have you thought about coming to Scotland? You could situate yourself near any of the major cities, so that you have your nights near somewhere nice to eat and there are loads of caches to be done to.

I don't know if you have ever used it before, but I find Welcome Cottages to be a good deal for accommodation. I personally don't go for anything less than lovely grading and most allow dogs.

I'm with Haggis Hunter on this one, Scotland is an unbelievable place for caching. Bonnie and I take the minis up to Inverness for a hol each yr and its never failed to impress.

I've also been on my own for a few three day breaks and stayed in a travel lodge ( which do very cheap rooms at certain times ) on the outskirts and each time I went in a different direction and I've throughly enjoyed myself.

Each time I've flown with Ryanair from Liverpool for £15-£20 return to Inverness which is an absolute bargain so if you can bag the same from your nearest airport you won't be disappointed.

You could always try over here in Jersey if you were looking for something a little different. Accommodation would be at the low rate then and there are plenty of self catering apparments here and very good food outlets esp. in the local pubs. Our cache numbers are growing and you'd be hard pressed now to complete them all in a weeks visit. :blink: Plus you cant beat the scenery and great walking over here either.

You could always try over here in Jersey if you were looking for something a little different. Accommodation would be at the low rate then and there are plenty of self catering apparments here and very good food outlets esp. in the local pubs. Our cache numbers are growing and you'd be hard pressed now to complete them all in a weeks visit. :blink: Plus you cant beat the scenery and great walking over here either.

I agree, just got back from a weekend and it is fantastic over there. Just over 50 caches in some excellent scenery and the seafood is to die for.

You would be hard pressed to beat The Yorkshire dales for a walking holiday, and there are more than a few caches around ...............

Seconded! There are a few caching walks have been set up by the Yorkshire Dales National Park (caching name Dales Diva), and you have the bonus of being able to sample some great caches in the Keighley/Bingley/Ilkley area just south of the dales. Some great walks without the crowds.

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all your responses and ideas, I think we have enough to last us for a few years now! :P We had considered Scotland but we're hoping to make a Summer trip North of the Border maybe next year to take advantage of (hopefully) better weather. So we'll be back for recommendations for that trip later!

We're quite taken by the idea of the New Forest as we went to a wedding there last year and thought it looked nice. So if anyone can recommend particularly "must-do" caches, places to stay/eat/visit in the area we'd love to hear them.

Happy caching

niknrich

Jersey is a great place, we've just had a week over there - 50+ quality caches, lovely costal walks on the north coast and lovely countryside in the middle. We did it as a package to visit Guernsey and Sark (4 and 1 cache respectively).

Alternatively there are some excellent caches in the Cotswolds, courtesy of wrighty and others, and its not far!

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all your responses and ideas, I think we have enough to last us for a few years now! :D We had considered Scotland but we're hoping to make a Summer trip North of the Border maybe next year to take advantage of (hopefully) better weather. So we'll be back for recommendations for that trip later!

We're quite taken by the idea of the New Forest as we went to a wedding there last year and thought it looked nice. So if anyone can recommend particularly "must-do" caches, places to stay/eat/visit in the area we'd love to hear them.

Happy caching

niknrich

I notice you are interested in perhaps the new forest, you could consider a trip over to the isle of wight while youre there, it is a lovely place for walking however unfortunately there aren't that many caches on the island yet but enough to fill a day or two. This would be an ideal stop over in the middle of your new forest holiday as you can catch the IOW ferry from Lymington over to Yarmouth on the west side of the island which is much more rural, peaceful and excelent for walking. Loads and loads of self catering properties too!

Enjoy your trip wherever you decide, cheers.