60Cx on road/offroad Question

What is the quickest way to change from on road to off road navigating? In an area I don't know, I use the on road autorouting to get me close, but then want to use the geocache function to narrow in, see notes, and finish the find in off road. Otherwise it syas I have arrived at the destination, but doesn't zoom me in on the actual cache.

What I do now after getting to the area is stop nav, go through the menus to change to off road nav, then start a new find, select closest cache, goto. Am I missing a shortcut in the menu navigation? Was hoping there was an easier/quicker way to accomplish.

Thanks.

On the 76, I just click menu and select recalculate. You might try that.

Well, thank you Seven and 850 both! I didn't see how recalc would help, it would just do the same thing....but then 850 stated it needed prompted for on/off road, which then made sense. I forgot you could set that promt, just got this baby this week, and had seen the prompt but don't remember turning it off.

Anyway, that will get me there much faster. Someday I will leran/remember all the features!

Thanks,

Bob

I have my GPS set to prompt me each time I go for a cache. When I first set out I use the "Follow Road" method.

1. When I get to the cache area, I press "Find" which takes me to the icon menu.

2. Then "Enter" selecting the Waypoints menu item.

3. I then press "Enter" selecting the cache at the top of the list which is almost always (99% of the time) the nearest and the one I am going for.

4. I then press "Enter" again to "Go To".

5. Finally when I get prompted again, I select "Off Road" by pressing "Enter" and I am golden.

It reads worse than it really is. I goes quickly the more you do it.

The key sequence:

Find->Enter->Enter->Enter->Enter

I've seen other GPS devices that have a quicker key sequence or single hot key that easily bumps you from "Follow Road" to "Off Road"... unfortunately not the 60CSX.

Oh well.... if that's my only beef with the device I can live with it. :anicute:

Moonie

I ran into an interesting situation the other day when I used auto-routing to get me to a location. I got out of my car on the side street and proceeded to look at what I thought the GPSr was telling me was GZ. No cache. :grin: I read the Past Logs in my Palm and saw that other people wrote about looking in the thorny bushes. Some logged DNFs, one person logged a find . . . in the thorny bushes.

Then, for some reason I thought to do another "Go To" and chose "Off Road" this time. The GPSr told me to go 180' away. :anicute: When I got over there, there were no thorny bushes and I found the cache easily. :grin:

Apparently the previous "GZ" was actually the location of an auto-routing "turn." :anicute:

I'm still wondering about the log for a find in the thorny bushes . . . :anicute:

Hey Moon, that looks good, and very close to what I am doing now after the first couple of responses came in on my question. Had to go out after dinner and try a cahce quick to make sure it worked well.

After changing the GPS setting back to being prompted on/off? road when each navigation starts....

1. Autoroute to location on road

2. At location, hit menu, then recalculation, select offroad

3. Page to geochache/compass page, and go find it.

Only tried once, but it seemed very quick and effective.

I love my new 60Cx!!! Big change from my eTrex vista I bought back in 2001

Apparently the previous "GZ" was actually the location of an auto-routing "turn." :wub:

I'm still wondering about the log for a find in the thorny bushes . . . :blink:

this may have to do with the "Lock on Road" setting being on. If lock on roads is set to on, it can be a problem especially if you auto-routed to the cacha area and the cache is near or along side a street.

Turning the Lock on Road setting off may solve this problem.

Hey Moon, that looks good, and very close to what I am doing now after the first couple of responses came in on my question. Had to go out after dinner and try a cahce quick to make sure it worked well.

After changing the GPS setting back to being prompted on/off? road when each navigation starts....

1. Autoroute to location on road

2. At location, hit menu, then recalculation, select offroad

3. Page to geochache/compass page, and go find it.

Only tried once, but it seemed very quick and effective.

I love my new 60Cx!!! Big change from my eTrex vista I bought back in 2001

I'm going to give this method a go and see if it feels better then hitting "Find" and the "Enter" key a bazillion times. Knowing me I've now developed a habit and breaking will probably be a trick.

I love my 60CSx as well! I can't imagine caching with any other model.

Moonie

I think Menu>>Recalcuate>>Entr>>Off Road is the shortest path.

Find>>Find>>Entr>>Off Road is the same number of keystrokes and also works (Pressing Find twice brings up the list of the last waypoints selected, in order of most recent first, so the one you are currently looking for is always on top of the list).