Geocaching RANKING STAT BAR

Hi,

we have worked on a Geocaching Stat Bar:

statbarpreview.jpg

It will be automatically refreshed.

At the moment only WORLD and Germany is available, but depending on the demand, we will add other countries to the Stat Bar.

Here you can get your personal stat bar:

Ranking Stat Bar

Have fun with your Stat Bar!!

Happy Hunting,

DRunners

Hi,

statbarpreview.jpg

At the moment only WORLD and Germany is available, but depending on the demand, we will add other countries to the Stat Bar.

Ranking Stat Bar

Happy Hunting,

DRunners

I smell a screen-scraper. How are you getting this information without violating the Terms Of Use?

Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Hi,

statbarpreview.jpg

Ranking Stat Bar

Happy Hunting,

DRunners

I smell a screen-scraper. How are you getting this information without violating the Terms Of Use?

Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission.

We get our data from www.cacherstats.com with permission, so we don't use any spider on the Geocaching.com site.

Access and Interference

We get our data from www.cacherstats.com with permission, so we don't use any spider on the Geocaching.com site.

So, what you're saying is that you're legal, because somebody else is doing the (potentially) illegal work? :blink:

(I'm not familiar with that site, so I can't say if they're an 'authorized' third party. Anybody?)

...So, what you're saying is that you're legal, because somebody else is doing the (potentially) illegal work? :blink: ...

What they are saying is that they don't violate the TOS of this site.

The other site is it's own thing.

My the nasty allegations are already flying.

Do YOU have written permission for the automated means by which you access the site? I don't, it's merely assumed and adequate. :wub:

...So, what you're saying is that you're legal, because somebody else is doing the (potentially) illegal work? :blink: ...

My the nasty allegations are already flying.

Do YOU have written permission for the automated means by which you access the site? I don't, it's merely assumed and adequate. :wub:

Hmm... wasn't intended to be (too) nasty. Besides, I really don't know about the site they're getting their stats from. Maybe, they're an 'approved' third party. Not too sure, don't much care. I do know, that it's not something I'm interested in using. And it would have nothing to do with the fact that I currently don't appear on the list.

From the stats site:

Question: Where does the basic data used on these pages come from?

Answer: There are a relatively small number of high profile caches that are downloaded periodically. The stats for the cachers that have visited those caches are extracted and used for updating the basic data you see on these pages.

Doesn't seem all that scientific to me. Besides, who cares? It's not like this is a race.

When do you win? Every time you find look for a cache.

...Doesn't seem all that scientific to me. Besides, who cares? It's not like this is a race.

You win when you have fun. For some stats are another way they can enjoy the activity. Cache stats never were scientific. The site you reference is as good as it gets for real stats these days.

...Doesn't seem all that scientific to me. Besides, who cares? It's not like this is a race.

You win when you have fun. For some stats are another way they can enjoy the activity. Cache stats never were scientific. The site you reference is as good as it gets for real stats these days.

I've never heard where TPTB had a problem with cacherstats.com; I could be wrong though. :blink: It's actually quite interesting the way the guy does it, after all the websites that were scraping data had their IP addresses blocked.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Hi,

statbarpreview.jpg

Ranking Stat Bar

Happy Hunting,

DRunners

Works for me... Thanks DRunner - great job!

DcCow

well, I want to see if mine works

*edit*

guess not...

It is a little bit of work, but if you do a screen shot of the Stat Bar on your Profile page, or wherever you have put it, then convert it to an image and upload it, you can get it in the Forum.

f9f92e5e-c530-4a18-8ad0-3660066c4bfd.jpg

well, I want to see if mine works

*edit*

guess not...

It is a little bit of work, but if you do a screen shot of the Stat Bar on your Profile page, or wherever you have put it, then convert it to an image and upload it, you can get it in the Forum.

f9f92e5e-c530-4a18-8ad0-3660066c4bfd.jpg

Yes, but then you have to make this procedure two times a week if you would like to have the newest rank in you stat bar :P

i'm interested to know about the question with TOS. was there a ruling? are you just assuming permissions? does your source site have license?

i don't give a fig about having a stat bar, but i love to know how the rules are interpreted and applied.

Hi,

NEW FEATURE!!!

after many emails, we created a new feature:

Now it is also possible to get the Stat Bar with the Stats of the States of the USA (e.g. California).

There are two new Stat Bars:

1. US STATE - WORLD

2. US STATE - US

Happy Hunting,

DRunners

Does anyone know how to get hold of the developers? They log on nearly daily, but I've tried emailing them from the email address on their website and using the GC send email function, but have never received a reply. My stats aren't correct on the US State/US banner. Here's the banners I get, and my stats on cacherstats:

stat4aspx-150x50.gif

stat5aspx-150x50.gif

Geocacher Locations

for

GeoJunkie

b3f3d5b1-8674-4bc0-ac04-a9913455fae3

Total Finds: 496

Location Rank

Nebraska 103

United States 12725

World 22333

Any ideas why my banners show a ranking in Nebraska and the world, but not the US? Either that or know how to get hold of the developers?

Edited by GeoJunkie

mine are fine too. It's my understanding that there is some sort of sampling of caches to find recent finders and then update their stats. I nkow I have found caches and my stats never go up until I go out and find some more caches. Newer caches never seem to trigger the stat to increase, at least not right away.