Future Northwest Cache Machines

travisl

Have you settled on which weekend Missoula is going to be? I have some relatives that want to visit but I'm leaving them hanging until we know when we're going to Missoula.

We were wondering the same thing last weekend, and Travis confirmed that Missoula CM is June 28-29. So the date in his profile is confirmed.

Have you settled on which weekend Missoula is going to be? I have some relatives that want to visit but I'm leaving them hanging until we know when we're going to Missoula.

June 21st is the event in Missoula. There is another event in Great Falls on the 28th. That made that weekend a poor choice as the Missoula folks who are willing to help with the CM are heading to GF.

Yumitori told me he contacted TravisL a while back about the date change request.

I think it was posted somewhere here as well that we confirmed the 21st of June.

Jennifer

June 21st is the event in Missoula. There is another event in Great Falls on the 28th. That made that weekend a poor choice as the Missoula folks who are willing to help with the CM are heading to GF.

Yumitori told me he contacted TravisL a while back about the date change request.

I think it was posted somewhere here as well that we confirmed the 21st of June.

Jennifer

Sounds like Travis needs to update his calendar, then. :D He looked at it Saturday and sounded confident it was 28th, so maybe he forgot this wrinkle.

Jennifer

Sounds like Travis needs to update his calendar, then. :D He looked at it Saturday and sounded confident it was 28th, so maybe he forgot this wrinkle.

We are drooling over a Missoula CM. That area is some of the best country to be.

Yeah, I've messed up on the date somewhere. I thought I'd moved it to the 28th to avoid the conflict with the Great Falls event, but maybe I just never made the change from the 28th. There was another event (in Port Orchard? My memory's foggy) that it conflicted with, and I'd emailed the organizer to make sure it was OK to double-book that day. If the Great Falls event is indeed the 28th, then the MCM will need to move to the 21st.

My personal calendar, profile, and the NW calendar link all say June 28, and I'm having trouble thinking that I messed it up in all three spots. I also almost always try to plan a CM near the equinox/solstice, which would be June 21, but I changed it from that date for a reason. However, there's certainly a good possibility that I just messed it up.

What event would June 21 conflict with?

(FWIW, I'm also strongly leaning towards making Missoula only a 1-day event, like most cache machines. Stay tuned.)

(Oh, and I'll take my chances with the Palouse CM next March. This last weekend's snow was unusually late.)

Regarding Missoula: Hmm... I've heard of a conflicting event happening in Great Falls on the 28th of June, so I'm thinking of having it on the 21st instead. I'm not gonna commit until after Yakima, so don't start making reservations for Missoula yet :-)

I found this old post. I'm not sure if it still applies....

Well, we're reserving the largest banquet room in Missoula we can find for June 21st. Our folks with the proper contacts are informing the local police that there will be a bunch of (harmless) weirdos running around town on the 21st. We're going to be throwing a drive-by potluck in one of the parks in town on the 21st. And there will be 'Phone-A-Friend' lists available the night of the 20th and the morning of the 21st.

But y'all could come on a different weekend...

OK, then. June 21 it is. I've just created my pocket query and did a first run-thru on MapPoint, and it's definitely going to only be a one-day event. My first attempt has the day of caching starting at 6:00 and ending at 6:38, so I'm gonna have to add a few longer hikes (0.3 miles! gasp!) or add a few micros (gulp.)

My first attempt started and ended at the Golden Corral. Yumitori, if you and the other locals have a better idea of a dinner point, let me know by, say, May 5?

Well, we're reserving the largest banquet room in Missoula we can find for June 21st. Our folks with the proper contacts are informing the local police that there will be a bunch of (harmless) weirdos running around town on the 21st. We're going to be throwing a drive-by potluck in one of the parks in town on the 21st. And there will be 'Phone-A-Friend' lists available the night of the 20th and the morning of the 21st.

But y'all could come on a different weekend...

<_<

OK, then. June 21 it is. I've just created my pocket query and did a first run-thru on MapPoint, and it's definitely going to only be a one-day event. My first attempt has the day of caching starting at 6:00 and ending at 6:38, so I'm gonna have to add a few longer hikes (0.3 miles! gasp!) or add a few micros (gulp.)

Nothing wrong with micros... weren't cache machines initially created to get maximum numbers anyway? Maybe you could create two routes - a Number Ho route and a Discriminating route. <_<

Nothing wrong with micros... weren't cache machines initially created to get maximum numbers anyway? Maybe you could create two routes - a Number Ho route and a Discriminating route. <_<

I have to agree with this idea. I really apreciated the effort that went into splitting the route at YCM2 but my group after passing so many just started peicing the two routes back together.

Then again, its your BBQ and I don't like to complain when someone else is cooking.

Nothing wrong with micros... weren't cache machines initially created to get maximum numbers anyway? Maybe you could create two routes - a Number Ho route and a Discriminating route. :grin:

I have to agree with this idea. I really apreciated the effort that went into splitting the route at YCM2 but my group after passing so many just started peicing the two routes back together.

Then again, its your BBQ and I don't like to complain when someone else is cooking.

I'd recommend just leaving the micros on the machine. We've got a decent selection of well camoed ones in town. During the YCM II we kept adding the micros back in as we went and it caused some confusion. Micros count as numbers. ;)

What about Steillacoom with Anderson Island? Then we could all get those pesky Sir2u caches done? I am excited about another cache machine as I have never been able to make it to them. The last one was on my son's 6th birthday party and the invites had been sent by the time I learned of the event.

What about Steillacoom with Anderson Island? Then we could all get those pesky Sir2u caches done? I am excited about another cache machine as I have never been able to make it to them. The last one was on my son's 6th birthday party and the invites had been sent by the time I learned of the event.

FYI, there was the Anderson Island Mini Cache Machine in Aug 2005. Sir2u was one of the hosts.

If you're curious about previous CMs, check out the Cache Machines bookmark list.

FYI, there was the Anderson Island Mini Cache Machine in Aug 2005. Sir2u was one of the hosts.

If you're curious about previous CMs, check out the Cache Machines bookmark list.

That was a great mini CM. Just the right length for the day on the island.