Future Northwest Cache Machines

travisl

So to summarize what I'm hearing and to make up some dates:

• Grays Harbor Cache Machine for September 15 or September 22
  • Vancouver (WA) Cache Machine for December 29 (maybe we can avoid snOlympia type conditions by going south!)
  • Yakima Cache Machine II for March 22, 2008 (Yakima I was March 29, 2003 and the weather was great - I can't believe that was more than four years ago!)
  • Missoula Cache Machine for June 21, 2008 (This idea is starting to grow on me. Are there enough caches (150+) to do a two-day event, like we did in Portland?)
  • Then maybe Victoria II, Whidbey, and Vancouver BC II in September 2008, December 2008, and March 2009, respectively?

If you haven't guessed, I like to plan the events for around the changing of the seasons. Makes it easier to remember when they were and to spread them out quarterly.

Great list, Travis, esp. if this implies you'll be organizing them. :blink:

I just hate to wait more than a year for Missoula, since that's my personal fave and it's got a lot of interest from others. Compared to, say, Yakima, which is an easy weekend trip and we've already done one CM there. My 2 cents.

Compared to, say, Yakima, which is an easy weekend trip and we've already done one CM there. My 2 cents.

:blink: Yakima may be a weekend trip for the Wetsiders, but not for us over here on the East side. Plus, aren't there a lot of new caches that have popped up in Yakima since the last CM? Just out of curiosity, do a lot of people attend CMs in late December when it is during the holiday season? Just asking because that will be a really really really really really really tough sell to my better half to convince her to drive over the (or a) pass to get to the other side of the state during the winter. Snow is not our friend.

So to summarize what I'm hearing and to make up some dates:

• Grays Harbor Cache Machine for September 15 or September 22
  • Vancouver (WA) Cache Machine for December 29 (maybe we can avoid snOlympia type conditions by going south!)
  • Yakima Cache Machine II for March 22, 2008 (Yakima I was March 29, 2003 and the weather was great - I can't believe that was more than four years ago!)
  • Missoula Cache Machine for June 21, 2008 (This idea is starting to grow on me. Are there enough caches (150+) to do a two-day event, like we did in Portland?)
  • Then maybe Victoria II, Whidbey, and Vancouver BC II in September 2008, December 2008, and March 2009, respectively?

If you haven't guessed, I like to plan the events for around the changing of the seasons. Makes it easier to remember when they were and to spread them out quarterly.

This looks like a good lineup to me. I had to miss Yakima and Victoria for various reasons and always kind of regretted it, so I'd welcome another chance. The most intriquing on the list is Missoula...especially from someone who wanted a Montana find so bad that I headed east from the SCM2 to nab GCRM4C.

Just out of curiosity, do a lot of people attend CMs in late December when it is during the holiday season? Just asking because that will be a really really really really really really tough sell to my better half to convince her to drive over the (or a) pass to get to the other side of the state during the winter. Snow is not our friend.

The first cache machine, Bremerton, was December 28, 2002, and we had something like 27 people.

The next winter one, Snolympia (January 3, 2004), was fairly well attended in spite of the weather. 56 of us showed up at Red Robin that night.

On January 8, 2005, we hit Gig Harbor, and just guessing from the size of the area we filled in the Mexican restaurant, probably 60 peple were at the end.

I didn't make it to Bellingham on January 7, 2006, but there's more than 100 "attended" logs.

Great list, Travis, esp. if this implies you'll be organizing them.

Yes, that's the implication. Don't buy non-refundable tickets just yet, though. I'm a pretty fickle guy. :P

I just hate to wait more than a year for Missoula, since that's my personal fave and it's got a lot of interest from others.

Agreed. I'd love to do it sooner, but the calendar's already pretty full for this summer, and winter is probably not a good time to cross the pass(es) to get to Missoula. I'm slightly biased in favor of GH, but that's only because its a shorter drive for me. (I'm so selfish.) I'm willing to go with the majority, though.

So really, the question I have is: which one? Grays Harbor on Missoula? September 15 or September 22?

Too bad we can't do polls here any more. Instead, e-mail me at CMPoll@lauricella.net* and let me know which one you'd like. I'll compile and post the results back here on Sunday evening. Whichever location loses is the second winner, I'll calendar for 2008.

---

* A temporary e-mail address -- don't expect it to go anywhere after this month.

Another area to consider is WA far SE corner along with part of Idaho in a Lewiston/Clarkston run. Then you could grab a bunch in Walla Walla going to and coming home from.

I don't know how many caches are in the area, but just eyeballing the map, a Lewiston/Clarston/Pullman/Moscow loop looks reasonable for a future CM -- maybe a "Palouse Cache Machine."

Update - 180 traditional caches within 5 miles of a simple route between Missoula and Hamilton. I think a two day event is completely doable.

My original suggestion for June of next year was based on the likely local 'work crew' and their schedules; I think that would be the best time given our busy lives. A number of us will be getting together this coming weekend so we'll probably discuss it a bit then. If September would work as well we can let you know next week.

The calendar's already pretty full for this summer, and winter is probably not a good time to cross the pass(es) to get to Missoula. I'm slightly biased in favor of GH, but that's only because its a shorter drive for me. (I'm so selfish.) I'm willing to go with the majority, though.

So really, the question I have is: which one? Grays Harbor on Missoula? September 15 or September 22?

Whichever location loses is the second winner, I'll calendar for 2008.

Yep!!! My calendar is filling up fast also! :o My choice is GH. I am in favor for the 15th since we are leaving for a GPAA 5 day event in Burnt River, OR on the 24th or 25th. And with gas prices the way they are. One major cross country trip this summer is all I can do! :o

Lummieh

I'm still taking "votes" at CMPoll@lauricella.net until Sunday evening, but after compiling my e-mails and this thread, it's currently overwhelmingly in favor of September 22 (9 votes) instead of September 15 (2 votes) and Grays Harbor (11 votes) instead of Missoula (6 votes). If you haven't mailed me or posted to this thread, let me know.

Wifey and I both vore for Sept 15 and split for Misoula and Grays...

The Steaks

The votes are in. Mark your calendars: September 22, Grays Harbor Cache Machine.

I'll start coming up with details in early August.

Woo Hoo! Can't wait!! :ph34r:

Me too! :) Looking forward to a "back to basics" Cache Machine at the other end of the state!

Okay, we discussed the idea of a Missoula Cache Machine next June and those of us who'll probably be handling the local planning think that we won't have any problems doing the groundwork necessary. And rumor is, we may even have a Red Robin by then...

Just for the heck of it, I was playing around with my pocket query this morning, and figured I'd share. Traditionals only, micros marked with a yellow cylinder:

212d4b2f-0b86-4af5-beae-89d404ad97f8.jpg

No route suggestions yet, please -- things change a lot in three months and I won't remember anyway. This was just goofing around with the query results.

Okay, we discussed the idea of a Missoula Cache Machine next June and those of us who'll probably be handling the local planning think that we won't have any problems doing the groundwork necessary. And rumor is, we may even have a Red Robin by then...

Red Robin is some good news, but I will be looking forward to a return visit to Big Sky Brewery :blink:

Just for the heck of it, I was playing around with my pocket query this morning, and figured I'd share. Traditionals only, micros marked with a yellow cylinder:

No route suggestions yet, please -- things change a lot in three months and I won't remember anyway. This was just goofing around with the query results.

Just for S&G...how many miles would that be from start to finish?

Just for S&G...how many miles would that be from start to finish?

It's showing 231 miles in 21 hours, 7 minutes. Obviously, a lot of paring down will be needed. One idea I'm toying with -- doubtful, but it's fun to imagine -- is having one group hit the Westport loop first, one group hit Ocean Shores loop first, and they swap car keys on the passenger only ferry between Ocean Shores and Westport. That would be a logistical nightmare, I'm afraid, not to mention a potential insurance disaster.

Edited by travisl

I sure am happy about all the interest for future cache machines. Sure have had a great time at all the ones I've gone to. I hope to make 'em all. I guess the Port Townsend campout this August 17th could double as a cache machine too (yeah I know there was one here two years ago).

I sure am happy about all the interest for future cache machines. Sure have had a great time at all the ones I've gone to. I hope to make 'em all. I guess the Port Townsend campout this August 17th could double as a cache machine too (yeah I know there was one here two years ago).

Hey, I didn't get to go to that one. It would be a fun idea, if someone scrambled & put one together for this!

Hey, I didn't get to go to that one. It would be a fun idea, if someone scrambled & put one together for this!

Ohh.... I like that idea! I am unfamiliar with Port Townsend (I only spent about 2 hours there last fall on my way through finishing the WDC) but if someone (hint...TravisL :P) would put together a route I would love to help out however I could now that I have organizing one Cache Machine under my belt! I am planning to spend the week before the campout in the area on vacation (attending the Gig Harbor Renaissance Festival the second weekend of August) and would be in the area. Let me send a message to the Campout committee and see what they think...

Ohh.... I like that idea! I am unfamiliar with Port Townsend (I only spent about 2 hours there last fall on my way through finishing the WDC) but if someone (hint...TravisL :P) would put together a route I would love to help out however I could now that I have organizing one Cache Machine under my belt! I am planning to spend the week before the campout in the area on vacation (attending the Gig Harbor Renaissance Festival the second weekend of August) and would be in the area. Let me send a message to the Campout committee and see what they think...

The route is still linked on the PT/PA Cache Machine Page...it might need to be updated for archived caches though.

Here is a link to the Fall 2005 Port Townsend/Port Angeles Cache Machine. If you didn't do that CM then all the work is done already, all you would have to do is sort through it and discard any found/archived/unavailable caches.

Here is a link to the Fall 2005 Port Townsend/Port Angeles Cache Machine. If you didn't do that CM then all the work is done already, all you would have to do is sort through it and discard any found/archived/unavailable caches.

Well... that would be just way too easy.... :P The software that I used (MapSource CitySelect) for the Spokane Cache Machine 2 was very unwieldy for routing... maybe it's time to switch to what TravisL uses and I could actually snap this one out fairly quickly and painlessly! Out committee in Spokane slaved over every turn and direction on our machine route as we wanted to make it as safe as possible and route folks through the 'pretty' parts of our great city. That said, I don't think that needs to be done here (locals correct me if I'm wrong!) to put together an updated version of the same route used last time.

Edited by Lookout Lisa

Well... that would be just way to easy.... :) The software that I used (MapSource CitySelect) for the Spokane Cache Machine 2 was very unwieldy for routing... maybe it's time to switch to what TravisL uses and I could actually snap this one out fairly quickly and painlessly! Out committee in Spokane slaved over every turn and direction on our machine route as we wanted to make it as safe as possible and route folks through the 'pretty' parts of our great city. That said, I don't think that needs to be done here (locals correct me if I'm wrong!) to put together an updated version of the same route used last time.

Having an updated version of the Port Townsend CM would be cool, as I missed it too. Great suggestion!

And definitely support Lisa switching to Mappoint or Streets & Trips. :P The provided route mapping used for SCM2 was a great effort, but unfortunately it was difficult to parse (both maps and text), so we used a seat-of-pants and autorouting approach. We happy to run into Travis in the afternoon, who had a Mappoint version of the route.

Edited by hydnsek

Having an updated version of the Port Townsend CM would be cool, as I missed it too. Great suggestion!

And definitely support Lisa switching to Mappoint or Streets & Trips. :) The provided route mapping used for SCM2 was a great effort, but unfortunately it was difficult to parse (both maps and text), so we used a seat-of-pants and autorouting approach. We happy to run into Travis in the afternoon, who had a Mappoint version of the route.

Well kewl. I can download a trial version and do a little banging around and perhaps put something together in a few days...And the campout would be a great place for the 'pre event' and 'post' dinner if that doesn't cramp the planners style... I'll keep a watch on this forum for ideas, thoughts and concerns (and I believe the campout committee is also) and we'll pull ideas together in the next few days. :P

IMHO, the biggest problem with the Port Townsend/Port Angeles Cache machine was that it was impossible to come up with a circular route. PT, PA, and Sequim are perched on the northern edge of the Olympic Peninsula, with Olympic National Park (i.e., no caches) just a few miles south. The route had to be a narrow east-west line, which made for a lot of extra backtracking driving.

With the state parks no longer charging their $5 fee, and if you're not planning on an all-day cache machine type event, you could probably create a very good route by staying east of Discovery Bay and west of the Hood Canal Bridge. Based on my old September 2005 data, it looks like there was about 50 caches in the area, including a hydrocache (not 5-star?!?), a wading cache, and a few multis.

If this is going to happen, a GC cache page should be be posted soon so it can get on the GC Event Calendar before someone else posts an event on that day.

The tribe is looking forward to this. We have a large lot in Ocean City at Ocean Shores Outdoor Recrecational Club. If anyone would like to pitch their tent or camper there, you are more than welcome. Email us if you are interested.

IMHO, the biggest problem with the Port Townsend/Port Angeles Cache machine was that it was impossible to come up with a circular route. PT, PA, and Sequim are perched on the northern edge of the Olympic Peninsula, with Olympic National Park (i.e., no caches) just a few miles south. The route had to be a narrow east-west line, which made for a lot of extra backtracking driving.

With the state parks no longer charging their $5 fee, and if you're not planning on an all-day cache machine type event, you could probably create a very good route by staying east of Discovery Bay and west of the Hood Canal Bridge. Based on my old September 2005 data, it looks like there was about 50 caches in the area, including a hydrocache (not 5-star?!?), a wading cache, and a few multis.

Thanks Travis -these are great suggestions. I have just acquired a copy of MapPoint, downloaded a new PQ around Port Townsend, and will be hammering out a draft route just around PT here shortly (provided I can figure it all out!), to be posted on the WSGA Campout page.

I am sorry this feels a little last minute after talking it up a while back... work and life got really busy but I just couldn't let this fun idea slide!

Edited by Lookout Lisa

If this is going to happen, a GC cache page should be be posted soon so it can get on the GC Event Calendar before someone else posts an event on that day.

The tribe is looking forward to this. We have a large lot in Ocean City at Ocean Shores Outdoor Recrecational Club. If anyone would like to pitch their tent or camper there, you are more than welcome. Email us if you are interested.

I know, I've been checking to see when it would pop up, but nothing. <_<:P

I'd been waiting to post it until after an annual group camping trip, which I did this weekend. In the past, I'd posted it about 6-8 weeks prior, which is about... now.

Look for it to be posted soon (maybe tonight, probably tomorrow).

Edited by travisl

I need to finalize the Saturday dinner location before I post the event, so... any ideas, local Grays Harbor folks? I've found one spot that I know nothing about: "Best Buffet" in Hoquiam on Sumner. Know anything about this place?

I'm looking for something that can seat 75-100 people, won't require a deposit, and is relatively inexpensive. Beer service would be a bonus.

I need to finalize the Saturday dinner location before I post the event, so... any ideas, local Grays Harbor folks? I've found one spot that I know nothing about: "Best Buffet" in Hoquiam on Sumner. Know anything about this place?

I'm looking for something that can seat 75-100 people, won't require a deposit, and is relatively inexpensive. Beer service would be a bonus.

Sure wish I could help on the local accommodations...

Just to let you know, we had over 250 at our Dinner here in Spokane! I know there was a lot of pent up demand by the time our machine ran and Spokane is a larger area, so perhaps numbers will be lower for this one.

The local Chamber of Commerce might be able help locate a venue that will work.

For a group as large as you're looking at I think it's going to be a real job to find something that is going to be 'free'. I'd check with local hotels that have banquet service. They have large rooms and will set up a buffet for you.

We're going to all eat dinner anyway so why not pay for a buffet dinner at a hotel?

The down side of having a hotel host the dinner is that you will have to sign contracts and be responsible for the cost yourself. I wouldn't have a problem pre-paying for our dinners.