Future Northwest Cache Machines

travisl

What a great event. I had a blast and look forward to the next one. Which raises the question...

Any talk yet about the next one? I'm eyeing a pocket query I just did of the Aberdeen area, and the Grays Harbor Cache Machine sure looks like it would be a good possibility. I might even be willing to organize it :shocked:

What a great event. I had a blast and look forward to the next one. Which raises the question...

Any talk yet about the next one? I'm eyeing a pocket query I just did of the Aberdeen area, and the Grays Harbor Cache Machine sure looks like it would be a good possibility. I might even be willing to organize it :shocked:

Ooooo my chances of convincing my better half to agree to go over to the other side of the mountains for a cache machine goes up significantly if it is a TravisL Cache Machine.

That'd be great if you could Travis! There was some talk last August/September of one in Grays Harbor on this forum but it fell through for some reason.

While I'm here, let me add a big thankyou to the organizing crew for the Spokane CM. You provided a great deal of hospitality which only added to the fun of the route. Thank you for all you did to make us feel welcome. This was the first time I had been in Spokane since 1974 when the Expo was in swing. Such good memories that was and this is too. As my Onkle Ole is fond of saying, "Mange Tusen Takk!" :(

Edited by Kiersolvd

Any talk yet about the next one? I'm eyeing a pocket query I just did of the Aberdeen area, and the Grays Harbor Cache Machine sure looks like it would be a good possibility. I might even be willing to organize it :unsure:

I think Grays Harbor would be ideal for a cache machine, but there was a problem with one cacher that made the locals unwilling to organize one.

Regardless of location, I'm doing the happy dance at the prospect of another TravisL cache machine!

th_HappyDance.gif

If I remember correctly, the reason the Grays Harbor CM was canceled was that a cacher (or cachers) threatened to pull all their caches if a CM was put on there.

After reading the GHCM thread, it sounds even more promising. If one cacher wants to pull their caches, we should be disappointed, but respect their wishes. My PQ came up with about 160 traditional caches within 25 miles of Aberdeen, which is way more than a day's worth, even if a few cachers want their's removed from the route.

Personally, I'd rather a geocide then having to give into blackmail. I'm sorry someone feels that way, but a single person shouldn't have the power to affect everybody else - the flip side of that is if one person wants a CM there, then there has to be one (see, it's just as silly). If the geocide's caches are that good, replace them once they are gone.

Personally, I'd rather a geocide then having to give into blackmail. I'm sorry someone feels that way, but a single person shouldn't have the power to affect everybody else - the flip side of that is if one person wants a CM there, then there has to be one (see, it's just as silly). If the geocide's caches are that good, replace them once they are gone.

I agree with the blackmail sentiments. Just think of it this way, once a cache disappears it opens up more room for future caches. Plus, there is that clause on the cache machine page that says if you don't want your cache on the route, please ask us to remove it.

I agree with the blackmail sentiments. Just think of it this way, once a cache disappears it opens up more room for future caches. Plus, there is that clause on the cache machine page that says if you don't want your cache on the route, please ask us to remove it.

Total agreement with The Jester and Trevor and Kate.

Gray's Harbor, let's do it! Also like mudsneaker's idea of Vancouver (WA) / Battleground as another location. Wow, two future locales for CMs!

Just a thought (don't flame me pleeease). Maybe a new topic needs to be started for possible upcoming cache machine discussion?

Thanks Lizzy, I was just about to post that idea as well. Perhaps some moderator can copy the last posts pertaining to a NEW Cache Machine in a new thread?? I have no idea of the technicalities involved with that... :laughing:

So happy to have wetted so many appetites for more cache machines.

Regardless, I can't wait to just relax and cache at the next machine :laughing:

I'll post here since a new topic hasn't been created yet.

We were asked at the Spokane II Cache Machine when Missoula was going to host one. A quick pocket query check shows that we have reached a reasonable volume of caches, enough to give folks plenty to do, so it would indeed be a possibility. I doubt the folks on the left side of Washington and Oregon would be up for another trip east in the near future and we'd need time to plan anyway, but if a Missoula Cache Machine was held sometime down the road would people attend?

We were asked at the Spokane II Cache Machine when Missoula was going to host one. A quick pocket query check shows that we have reached a reasonable volume of caches, enough to give folks plenty to do, so it would indeed be a possibility. I doubt the folks on the left side of Washington and Oregon would be up for another trip east in the near future and we'd need time to plan anyway, but if a Missoula Cache Machine was held sometime down the road would people attend?

Absolutely! The Cache Dashers did our own Cache Machine in Missoula a few years back and even then we had a lot to do and a blast doing it!! :laughing:

Absolutely! The Cache Dashers did our own Cache Machine in Missoula a few years back and even then we had a lot to do and a blast doing it!! :laughing:

That would be a great idea Yumitori! I know I love the Missoula area, and it's such a beautiful drive over that way. Haven't been to Missoula in a lot of years. Would make a great summer or fall trip.

Hehe, I think I started that Missoula Cache Machine rumor by whispering in several people's ears at the SCM2. We did our own mini-missoula years ago, and it would be wonderful to go back for the fresh-batch of caches. How many Cache Machines have been outside of WA & OR?

T&K

Edited by Trevor and Kate

Just like some of us have already done our own Grays Harbor mini-CM last fall when the real one didn't happen...the best part about CMs is that they don't have to be official...but the official ones are very fun!

Hehe, I think I started that Missoula Cache Machine rumor by whispering in several people's ears at the SCM2. We did our own mini-missoula years ago, and it would be wonderful to go back for the fresh-batch of caches. How many Cache Machines have been outside of WA & OR?

Missoula sounds fun, too. It's a bit out of my range, though (a 10 hour drive or so?), so I'd be much more likely to attend one that was closer. Of course, people closer to Missoula than me will probably think differently.

Of the cache machines I organized, all of them were in Washington, except for the Victoria, Vancouver BC, and Portland Cache Machines

A Gray's Harbor Cache Machine sounds like FUN! We were over there on spring break, but I think there are lots more to do. Will be watching for a date... :laughing:

Looking at the upcoming events calendar, and knowing how far in advance many families have made summer vacation plans, I'm leaning towards September 22. Any thoughts on that date?

I know why I am looking down south at Vancouver,WA. Its always warmer there! oh ya, and I have family that way, and its one of the areas I have never really cached at. :laughing: Its about 1.5 hr drive from Oly. Far enough away that a CM would be more helpful that a place closer to home.

Doubt it would cause a geocide down there. :laughing:

Looking at the upcoming events calendar, and knowing how far in advance many families have made summer vacation plans, I'm leaning towards September 22. Any thoughts on that date?

September 22nd = pre-snow and pre-cold = WHOOOHOOO! Sound good to us! :anicute:

This was the weather for Aberdeen on Sept 22, 2006:

Mean Temperature 55 °F / 12 °C -

Max Temperature 66 °F / 18 °C 67 °F / 19 °C 88 °F / 31 °C (1989)

Min Temperature 44 °F / 6 °C 50 °F / 9 °C 39 °F / 3 °C (1955)

Edited by Trevor and Kate

It's about 8 hours from Missoula to downtown Seattle, Travis. It's a full day's drive to either Seattle or Portland from here, but completely do-able. We prefer to take two days, however, to allow for some caching time along the way.

Folks from the I-5 corridor would have to take a vacation day or two if they wanted to do a Missoula cache machine, but I think it would be worth it. The local cachers tend to place their caches in interesting places or to show off their fun camouflaged containers; there's not too many 'film canister under a rock in a vacant lot' hides around here.

Don't tell anyone, but that's usually the best time of year here. Aaaah, the kids are back in school, and the sun is out.

:blink:

Looks good to me. :blink: Will inform the rest of the Tribe. I am putting this forum on my watch list....

Lummieh

That date looks good for my calendar. :wub:

Where would I like to see a Cache Machine in the Future beyond Grays Harbor?

• Vancouver, WA
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Victoria
  • Missoula
  • San Francisco :blink:

[*]Vancouver, WA
Been there... done that :blink:

[*]Vancouver, BC
Ditto

[*]Victoria
Ditto

[*]Missola
Would love to go but pretty far... probably wouldn't make it

[*]San Francisco :wub:
See Missola

My suggestions:

1. Anacortes / Fildalgo

2. Whidbey

3. Mt Vernon/Burlington

4. Forks..... all 8 of them :wub: We could be done by 6 and have a after CM Breakfast instead of a dinner :wub:

That date looks good for my calendar. :wub:

• Vancouver, WA
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Victoria
  • Missoula
  • San Francisco :blink:
  • Hawaii

Fixed

My suggestions:

1. Anacortes / Fildalgo

2. Whidbey

3. Mt Vernon/Burlington

4. Forks..... all 8 of them :wub: We could be done by 6 and have a after CM Breakfast instead of a dinner :blink:

Heck the group I run with would have those done on Friday. Then what?

Edited by Recdiver

My suggestions:

1. Anacortes / Fildalgo

2. Whidbey

3. Mt Vernon/Burlington

I like the above list - (nice & close)! But Missoula I think is absolutely worth an extended vacation trip.

• Vancouver, WA - Would be cool
  • Vancouver, BC - Would be even cooler
  • Victoria - Sure, why not
  • Missoula - Been there, done that, can't wait to go again
  • San Francisco :( - Who's paying for the plane ticket?

Did someone say Yakima2?

If people from the East Coast think it is too far to drive to Missoula, just remember you came all the way to Spokane, it's only a 3 more hours East. From Aberdeen it appears to be 9 hours Total Est. Distance: 565.57 miles. Piece of cake.

• San Francisco :P - Who's paying for the plane ticket?

Did someone say Yakima2?

If people from the East Coast think it is too far to drive to Missoula, just remember you came all the way to Spokane, it's only a 3 more hours East. From Aberdeen it appears to be 9 hours Total Est. Distance: 565.57 miles. Piece of cake.

Three hours from Seattle to Spokane? ;) Lets see here Seattle is milepost 0 and the border is milepost 300. HMMM Carry the 3.... Where did I put my caclulator.... I get B):D:D Note to self never ask for a ride from Trevor and Kate. :P:(;):(

Now that I look at that again I see that yhey may have ment Yakima. At least I hope that is what they ment.

Edited by AndrewRJ
  • San Francisco :P - Who's paying for the plane ticket?

Did someone say Yakima2?

Three hours from Seattle to Spokane? ;) Lets see here Seattle is milepost 0 and the border is milepost 300. HMMM Carry the 3.... Where did I put my caclulator.... I get B):D:D Note to self never ask for a ride from Trevor and Kate. :P:(;):(

Now that I look at that again I see that yhey may have ment Yakima. At least I hope that is what they ment.

Well, I did typo and should have said WEST coast (too much trip planning!)....but...

What I meant to say overall is:

If people from the WEST Coast think it is too far to drive to Missoula, just remember you came all the way to Spokane (FOR THE SMC2), it's only a 3 more hours East (TO MISSOULA). From Aberdeen it appears to be 9 hours Total Est. Distance: 565.57 miles. Piece of cake.

Okay, ya'll Wet Coasters think about taking a sick day and driving over our way (you've got to be sick if you're willing to drive this far.) If there really is enough interest we locals can discuss a possible June 2008 cache machine in Missoula & the Bitterroot Valley.

Back to the next one... Travis, if we could leave the date a little vague at the moment it would be great. If it's some time in September but before Peggy has to go back to school we could hopefully make the machine, be it Gig Harbor or wherever the route ends up being. But for some odd reason she seems to think that skipping out on clinicals or nursing classes would be a bad idea.

Could we say for now tentatively September 22nd, but possibly a week or so earlier?

Add another vote for Missoula and Sept. 22. I've never cached in Montana, and it would definitely be worth an extended weekend to visit a new area.

Most of the other places sound good to me, too. I'd vote for Vancouver, WA, before Grays Harbor, only because I've not done much there vs. the lovely Aberdeen area. :cool:

My bags are packed and ready to go for Missoula, I have been wanting a return trip to cache in the lovely area. I was in the area visiting relatives two summers ago and Yumitori gave me a couple of hours of his time for a guided tour of some caching. Thank you so much. I vowed to come back and cache some more but last years trip to the valley didn't give me enough time to even grab one cache even though I was there a couple of days. So PLEASE plan one and I am looking forward to it!

I will vouch for the fact that the caches there are well done and in nice locations.

Go for the GH one Travis, I want to join in the fun there also.

So to summarize what I'm hearing and to make up some dates:

• Grays Harbor Cache Machine for September 15 or September 22
  • Vancouver (WA) Cache Machine for December 29 (maybe we can avoid snOlympia type conditions by going south!)
  • Yakima Cache Machine II for March 22, 2008 (Yakima I was March 29, 2003 and the weather was great - I can't believe that was more than four years ago!)
  • Missoula Cache Machine for June 21, 2008 (This idea is starting to grow on me. Are there enough caches (150+) to do a two-day event, like we did in Portland?)
  • Then maybe Victoria II, Whidbey, and Vancouver BC II in September 2008, December 2008, and March 2009, respectively?

If you haven't guessed, I like to plan the events for around the changing of the seasons. Makes it easier to remember when they were and to spread them out quarterly.

Well, AndrewRJ, I don't about your's, but my GPSr has a max speed of 410 MPH - and I haven't taken it on any airplanes. So three hours to Spokane is sloooow! B):cool::cool:

On my drive over to Spokane last week my GPS maxed out at 106 MPH. I had to make up for all the time we took stopping to find caches. :huh:

So to summarize what I'm hearing and to make up some dates:

• Grays Harbor Cache Machine for September 15 or September 22
  • Vancouver (WA) Cache Machine for December 29 (maybe we can avoid snOlympia type conditions by going south!)
  • Yakima Cache Machine II for March 22, 2008 (Yakima I was March 29, 2003 and the weather was great - I can't believe that was more than four years ago!)
  • Missoula Cache Machine for June 21, 2008 (This idea is starting to grow on me. Are there enough caches (150+) to do a two-day event, like we did in Portland?)
  • Then maybe Victoria II, Whidbey, and Vancouver BC II in September 2008, December 2008, and March 2009, respectively?

If you haven't guessed, I like to plan the events for around the changing of the seasons. Makes it easier to remember when they were and to spread them out quarterly.

The Columbia River gorge can create some nasty weather in the winter. Did you mean over New Years weekend for Vancouver?

BTW, I'm already double booked on 9/15, but go with whatever suits the most people.

Edited by Kiersolvd

[*]Missoula Cache Machine for June 21, 2008 (This idea is starting to grow on me. Are there enough caches (150+) to do a two-day event, like we did in Portland?)

Hmmm. Quite possibly. There's been a recent boom in easier-to-reach caches up the Bitterroot. One day around Missoula, one day hitting more in Missoula then a road trip at least as far south as Hamilton. Within a 10 mile radius of 59801 (Missoula central) there's around 110 traditional caches with a Terrain of 2 or less, while centering on Victor there's another 50 or so in the central Bitterroot Valley. Add in the easier two-stage multicaches, simple puzzles and the like and drop the ones with a bit of a walk or too far out of the way to drive to and it should be enough to keep folks busy.

I'll play around further and see what the numbers look like when considering caches along a route instead in a radius when I can fire up Google Earth. It would be cool if Missoula could host a two day machine.

My vote for the Grays Harbor cache Machine would be for the 15th, have my kids on the weekend of the 22nd.

The others sound fantastic too. Missoula would be great, only have done a few there, about a year ago, but if memory serves, like yumitori said, it should keep us busy.......plus the Brewery for some Moose Drool....WooHoo!!!