Hiker dies of thirst!

I noticed this brief update by Rick Sanchez on Anderson Cooper's blog today.

...the school's permit for using federal land was partially suspended by the U.S. Forest Service. To get it back, the Forest Service said the survival school must change its course policy to include, among others things, that students carry water in a 32 ounce bottle. CNN has learned from Forest Service officials that the school will change its survival course policy.

Edit: that's first name Anderson.

Edited by Dinoprophet

This occurs more frequently in less hostile climates than folks may or may not be aware. in '99 in USAF Basic training it was fatal, another time at a State police training academy had students suffer kidney failure from dehydration are just 2 that come off the top of my head immediately.

There is so much good info on hydration for folks, Camelbak's site has some good research for heat as well as cold climates, the "forgotten" cause of dehydration. I've treated dehydrated patients in both types of climates. Like heat exhaustion in January. I spent a summer in the "Gulf" a few years back, nobody on my watch had a heat related problem.Had an eye on them and made sure they watched themselves.

A good cause for pause for cachers and pertinent to the forums. Pretend you're a baby; drink, pee, poop. Good signs of hydration. Hydration 101. Always have a litre of H20 in my camelbak. never know when you may need it. like a cell phone, it's a bad thing if you need it and it's in your car. Camelbak and other foks now have tabs to add electrolytes and flavor to the tube taste.

But hey, I've been wrong before. :D