Bigger and Better Event

CrystalFairy

Hi All

This topic is a quick message for all of you out there who don't

a) look at caches outside of your 80km radius

:unsure: receive the weekly geocaching email from Groundspeak

c) check out all the front page of geocaching.com

CrystalFairy and Mazda Adventure Zone bring you Bigger and Better

This is a 2 DAY caching event (You can choose to enter Day 1 only or Day 1 and Day 2)

25th and 26th May 2007

It is located at Aventura Warmbaths and there are over 20 traditional caches and 30 waypoints

And this time the caches might extend you quite a bit more than the last event

(Some are up mountains, on top of objects, under objects, stunning views from cache sites)

For the 2nd Day we are letting cachers hide their own caches in the area (so bring along

you most interesting cache and hide it somewhere cleverly) and everyone will go out

and try find these. The best hidden and most found will receive prizes also..

We have over R20,000 of prizes (spread over the two days) and still growing.

Check out

Day 1 - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1174D

Day 2 - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC123XZ

There are details about accomodation and costs of the events on the pages.

We WILL NOT be giving out the co-ords prior to the event, but as the people arrive we will

upload the co-ords to your GPS (assuming we have the software and your GPS is capable of this

- If not, arrive early as you have over 50 points to load into the GPS!)

Any questions can be posted here or emailed to geo@crystalfairy.co.za

Don't forget to pay in advance for the event and save yourself some money (that you can

use to buy caching goodies) and to speed up the registration process.

Hope to see you all there...

Andrew & Heidi

CrystalFairy

Edited by CrystalFairy

Looking forward to the Event.

Just to be clear, would one need a 4x4 vehicle, as you are mentioning mountains and epic vista's of South African landscape. (Sorry - got carried away there.)

LeonW :(

Hi

No a 4x4 is not necessary... A normal car should make almost all the roads comfortably (might

get a bit dusty), but if you have one, you might be able to get a couple of metres closer to the caches

(ie drive up onto the pavement and stop there :-) )

Only 3 weeks left...

Dont forget to book your accommodation now as Warmbaths is having a big event that weekend and

leaving it too late, you might find no accommodation available in the vicinity.

Cheers

CrystalFairy

Just to be clear, would one need a 4x4 vehicle, as you are mentioning mountains and epic vista's of South African landscape. (Sorry - got carried away there.)

Hi

No a 4x4 is not necessary... A normal car should make almost all the roads comfortably (might

get a bit dusty), but if you have one, you might be able to get a couple of metres closer to the caches

LeonW, You will need a 4x4 do destroy the vegitation on your way to parking NEXT to the cache, but you will need a car to break the speed-record set by LoC at the last event. I think the bar was set at 176km/h, not so ?

Hi

LeonW, You will need a 4x4 do destroy the vegitation on your way to parking NEXT to the cache, but you will need a car to break the speed-record set by LoC at the last event. I think the bar was set at 176km/h, not so ?

This time around, we learn't a lot from our mistakes.. You will have to keep within 10km/h (above the speed limit) as the three winning teams will be required to produce their tracks. If we see that they have been speeding, severe points will be deducted and if found to be endangering anyone or anything, they may even be disqualified...

Hope that clears this one up...

CrystalFairy

Hi

This time around, we learn't a lot from our mistakes.. You will have to keep within 10km/h (above the speed limit) as the three winning teams will be required to produce their tracks. If we see that they have been speeding, severe points will be deducted and if found to be endangering anyone or anything, they may even be disqualified...

Hope that clears this one up...

CrystalFairy

cool.... Tongue was FIRMLY in cheek CF... ;)

Edited by Brick

Hopefully no speed records will be set without a risk from the local authorities this time.

Some people in Warmbaths know me as I dated a few girls there, they might just be on the lookout for me.

As I am going to be extremely careful, I urge other to be also.

Remember this is on the borderline of civilization and the guys just got their new Laser Speed Detector last month.

Thanks for that imput CrystalFairy.

LeonW

Edited by LeonW

My wife rocks!

As we don't have a 4x4 - wouldn't it be grand if Mazda supply 4x4 Geocache vehicles with rally drivers included, she suggests. What about a sponsor like Mumm, Moet & Chandon or Kristal Roederer? That would be an exquisite ending to the first day of caching.

You must love a woman like that.

:cool:

My wife rocks!

As we don't have a 4x4 - wouldn't it be grand if Mazda supply 4x4 Geocache vehicles with rally drivers included, she suggests. What about a sponsor like Mumm, Moet & Chandon or Kristal Roederer? That would be an exquisite ending to the first day of caching.

Veuve Cliequol Ponsardin will do for the exquisite ending, sure it will be included in the starting fee?

My wife rocks!

Veuve Cliequol Ponsardin will do for the exquisite ending, sure it will be included in the starting fee?

Will a slightly damaged Mazda Drifter with Diff Lock be Ok? :cool:

You guys too fancy with Moet, Kristal and Veuve whatsit... I cant even spell that never mind say it...

How about 'n nog 'n eenetjie,...met eish.... :huh: Now that would be the perfect ending around a fire...

Hi Cache-fan and Triptrick

This is going to get interesting, Veuve Clicquote - Ponsardin - LA GRANDE DAME ! Don't fret Triptrick, I could not spell the names either, but I sure can appreciate the finer things in life.

Note to self - do not forget to take the champagne along, we are going "Into Africa."

Hi Guys

The female half of CF thinks that LeonW's wife rocks !!!

As for the 4x4, this time around, there are NO caches that require you to go bundu bashing like last time.. Everyone is on an even playing field.

As for the champaigne (yes it would be great if we could get it sponsored, but we will have to do with second best for now - probably a free t-shirt :-) I agree, not as tasty, but does last a bit longer :-) )

Hoping to create a "bonus" cache here in Joeys before the event to get everyone into the spirit.. Anyone got any good suggestions or ideas, feel free to fling them about...

See you all soon

Cheers

CF

Accomodation Done. Check.

Extra Penlight Batteries for GPS Still need to procure...

Charge Camera's In Progress...

Fill Vehicle Friday Night

Cooler Box of Drinks Friday Night

Cooler Box of Snacks Friday Night

Cash for Toll Roads and Entrance Friday Night

Cell Phone Charged Friday Night

Pack BackPack with TB's Done. Check.

Organise for 6 Dogs to be fed Done. Check.

Organise Gardener Access on Saturday Done. Check.

Sort 3 or 4 Caches for Possible Stashing Done. Check.

Find Gautrain View for Bonus Points Still To Be Done...

Pray for Warm Weather In Progress...

What am I forgetting? :D

I know I sound like a newbie, but I Can't Wait!

:D:D:D

Hi

I think you have covered everything...

Bring Meat for Big Braai on Saturday night.. Might change this to something indoors if freezing cold.

Pray some more - its not working yet :-)

Bring costume (as its a warm baths place)

See you shortly..

CrystalFairy

Hi again

Scoring is a secret.. If I told you we would have to kill you.

But I can tell you that if you finish early you will GET BONUS

points...

The rest is done in excel with weightings based on distance

and difficulty.. Everything will be explained on Saturday morning

Cheers

CrystalFairy

... If I told you we would have to kill you...

You'd have to find me first. :D And if you do, make it quick as I don't like suffering. :D

Hmmm, But there is no speeding right? I hope you will enforce the track submission of the winners to ensure no speeding?

Hi All

This email went out to those people who are staying over on Friday / Saturday night, but anyone is free to join in...

Saturday Night

--------------

We are organising a Bring and Braai (probably at one of the chalets) at Aventura on the Saturday night.

We have the Braai facilities and charcoal and stuff like that, but you will need to bring your own meat

and salads. The braai is optional and doesn't cost anything to attend. Is just to mingle and have fun

and talk about the days events and probably get trashed also :-) Apparently the resort is licensed

so we can get Alcohol from there.

On the day of the event I will let everyone know who is staying over where we will meet and braai..

So just bring along some meat and salads (there are fridges in the chalets and those camping can

give it to us and we will keep it cold / frozen for you) and if you have chairs (fold out) bring them along

too... If its really cold well move indoors or figure out something on the spur of the moment.

Friday Night

------------

If anyone is going to be there and wants to meet up with us, please drop me an email with your telephone number and we can organise

to meet up and have supper somewhere. If anyone wants to bring the champagne as promised, there will be no complaints

from us :-)

If you need to get hold of me you can contact me on 0833058341

Take care and see you all soon

Cheers

Andrew & Heidi

Hi

For those of you who have forgotten this weekend coming is the 2nd in the Series of Event Caches

by Mazda Adventure Zone and Crystal Fairy.

Click here -> http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1174D -> For more information on the event

Remember that Wednesday is the last day to Pre-register and get the discount rates.. Otherwise you can register on the day..

Summary of information :-

26/5/2007 from 8am (Start at Warmbaths Aventura) and first team leaves at 10am..

Cost is R50 per person and R20 entrance fee at Warmbaths.

Over R20,000 worth of prizes (including 2 GPS Units)

Approximately 150km from Sandton (Requires about 2 hours to get there) - Take the M1 and then the Centurion Highway

and keep driving till you see the signs to Bela Bela

Don't forget there is an optional second day event with great prizes also.

You need to bring your own cache along (and type and size).

Prizes for the best cache, best hidden, best idea etc..

You will be able to create your own cache on the website if you like.

Entry fee is R30 per person.

Questions welcome at geo@crystalfairy.co.za

Come join us for a fun filled day and lots of fun..

Cheers

CrystalFairy

Last note on the event

The speed limit issue will be enforced... We really do not want any accidents or issues that will give geocaching a bad name in South Africa before it has even taken off properly in this country.

Dont forget to

BRING A CAMERA (even a cell phone camera will do)

BRING YOUR COSTUME (no caches require swimming this time!)

BRING COMFORTABLE SHOES (you will be doing some climbing and walking)

BRING SNACKS (As the event crosses the lunch boundary)

BRING MEAT AND SALAD (if you are staying over and want to join in the evenings entertainment)

BRING WARM CLOTHES (in case the weather doesnt clear up - Weather SA says it will be about 9 to 20 degress)

STUDY UP ON GEOCGRAPHY (youll see why)

DO THE BONUS CACHE (Gautrain View in Sandton)

HAVE FUN !!!!

See you all there...

Cheers

CrystalFairy

Last note on the event

Dont forget to

STUDY UP ON GEOCGRAPHY (youll see why)

DO THE BONUS CACHE (Gautrain View in Sandton)

See you all there...

Cheers

CrystalFairy

Second Last note on Event.... :(

Geography is a vast subject. Any Hints into what in Geography we should pay "Special" Attention to?

Tried the Bonus Cache Today... What a frustrating Shopping Centre. We just could not get most of the clues from the food court... maybe it was just us? never mind find our way around the place. Plenty people in and around Mandela Square for the Fugitive today.

Copy From My Cache Log . . .

This was the Best Event we have even been to. Oh Wait, it is the only Event we have ever been to.

However, Bigger and Better 07 was Great! Thanks to Crystal Fairy for organising this and to Mazda Adventure Zone, Ananzi.co.za and Toit's Motor Group for the sponsorships and prizes. Also an extra thanks to Crystal Fairy for hosting the after event Braai. We had a great day of caching despite being "lost" for the first 30 minutes as we did not make the connection between waypoints on the GPS and the printed sheets.

Bigger and Better 07 Day 2 was alot of Fun. I think more fun than Day 1 purely for the fact that I learnt So much from my fellow cachers on "How" to cache. Was so nice to put Names to Faces and get to meet everyone. What a "Lekker" bunch of people!

Long Live GeoCaching!

Really do need that 4x4 , busted both front shocks absorbers, "grated" dirt road was last grated in 2003 and road has since been used to shape corrugated iron sheets.

Almost ditched the car in a huge donga straight over the roadway after it was washed away in 2004 and had not been repaired since.

Conclusion; if it is an event and points are to be gained - use a 4x4. Or smile when you end up last, again!

LeonW (Team: No-4x4-Yet)

:D:D;)

Hi Larks

Thanks for your support, obviously the bad roads got worse because of the failed shocks, with good ones I am sure you "sporty lads" had no problem.

The washed away road had not been a problem to the rest of the participants because I asked the Nuvi to plot a route to get us back to BB1, after I found "Somewhere in the middle of Nowhere". (I were the only one to log it on BB1) So the Nuvi decided that she would lead us on this route that went through the "Otherside of Nowhere" to get to the R101. I can't blame her because she could not have known about the washed away road either!

Thankfully I were alert and could stop in time. We could see the R101 traffic signs from this spot, but no road. Must say that a "warning sign" - Occasional Flooding - was lying on its side next to the road. A far cry from the appropriate sign - "Road Closed." But then again these "boertjies" would have local knowledge. Because we had to turn back and follow a much longer stretch of "sinkplaatpad" we lost about one hour.

Thanks for lending your ears, you may have them back now. <_<

LeonW

Hi All

Glad to hear that everyone had a great time (if that includes Washed out Road, Losing Cell Phones, Chasing Hornbills and guessing phobias)

To all those that attended, thanks for the effort and to all those that could not attend it was such a pity, but have no fear...

Check out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...af-985078e0da00

Diarise it for more fun - A shorter evert, different style and lekker food... Its whats you've all asked for

Weclome to THE sp"RING" bash !!!

Comments welcome, sponsorship welcome, participation mandatory :-)

See you all there

CrystalFairy

Hi Vespax

Yes, these event are my favourites. I am sure if you contact CrystalFairy he will be gone in a flash to Cape Town to help bring his style to your lovely area. But please do not keep him there, we need him in boring Gauteng to lighten up our days.

In the meantime enjoy a good Shiraz next to the fireplace. I am getting all choked up ...

LeonW :)

Hi Vespax

Please tell us which Shiraz you had last night, I hope you did enjoy it. I believe the weather is going to turn foul in the Cape, time to check on your stash of Kanonkop Paul Cluver.

Think of us in boring Gauteng. :blink:

Hi

There is "talk" of an event in Cape Town (near Sir Lowry's Pass area) in late November / early December.. As soon as I get more information from the Mazda side, Ill let everyone know.

Any preferences for dates in Cape Town (preferably someday that doesnt have a big event- like Rugby, Cricket etc or Mothers 2nd Cousins Day etc)

Cheers

Andrew