Excel to POI

Addresses can be sent via POILoader from Mapsource to the GPSr but not the other way around. Also, 4 lines of data can be sent from POILoader via cvs file to the GPSr, but not from Mapsource. Data sent to the GPSr via POILoader cannot be sent back to Mapsource.

I am brand new at this and what I am looking for is a program to pull an address out of an excel spreadsheet and convert it to a format that works with GPS mapsource. Any help will be appreciated.

Just to clarify... Do you literally mean just a single "street" address into a waypoint, or a spreadsheet full of addresses into waypoints and/or a POI list? If it is multiple addresses, how many?

I am talking multiple addresses from 10 to 40.

I am brand new at this and what I am looking for is a program to pull an address out of an excel spreadsheet and convert it to a format that works with GPS mapsource. Any help will be appreciated.

Just to clarify... Do you literally mean just a single "street" address into a waypoint, or a spreadsheet full of addresses into waypoints and/or a POI list? If it is multiple addresses, how many?

Here is a good website for batch converting street addresses to gps coordinates.

"Quick" instructions:

1. Add headers to your spreadsheet columns for address, state, zip, etc...

2. Output your existing spreadsheet as a tab delimited text file.

3. Paste that file into the above website and run it thru their encoding process.

4. Paste the results back into a text file.

5. Import the results into excel and sort your columns.

Longitude, Latitude, Title, Description (everything after the first four will be ignored)

6. Export the file as a comma delimited text file.

7. Load the text file using Garmin's POI Loader.

I've got thousands of addresses in my GPSr this way using separate csv and gpx lists. Excel also allows you to combine text columns so I use that feature to combine the address and phone columns to be used for the description that way when I look up a client name the description shows the address and phone number to confirm with the work order.

Hope this helps...

Thanks this did work very good !

Here is a good website for batch converting street addresses to gps coordinates.

"Quick" instructions:

1. Add headers to your spreadsheet columns for address, state, zip, etc...

2. Output your existing spreadsheet as a tab delimited text file.

3. Paste that file into the above website and run it thru their encoding process.

4. Paste the results back into a text file.

5. Import the results into excel and sort your columns.

Longitude, Latitude, Title, Description (everything after the first four will be ignored)

6. Export the file as a comma delimited text file.

7. Load the text file using Garmin's POI Loader.

I've got thousands of addresses in my GPSr this way using separate csv and gpx lists. Excel also allows you to combine text columns so I use that feature to combine the address and phone columns to be used for the description that way when I look up a client name the description shows the address and phone number to confirm with the work order.

Hope this helps...