EBAY

Rattlingcrew

Somebody from EBAY called me this morning and let me know that there was now a category for GEOCOINS. I guess our EBAY sales have grown enough to warrant our own category. When listing your coins, you now have a category just for geocoins. Why Ebay chose to call me, I have no idea. Anyway, the conversation was pretty brief, your coins are listed in the wrong category, we are not going to shut down the auctions at this time, but in the future.... So there you go! Happy selling.. Glen

I was sleeping like a tired dog when he called, or I might have been alert enough to ask about the non-trackable coins. Someday I will learn to turn the phone off when I am trying to sleep, but what if work or the kids need me? Eighteen years of third shift, I guess I should be as used to it as I am going to get. Glen

He called me too :unsure:

I said "We have our own category now??" and he said yes and I said "SWEET"!!!!! Then I tried to talk him into trying geocaching now and we both laughed.

ps He told me he wouldn't pull my coins from the category they are in right now but suggested next time I put them into the new category.

I wouldn't have thought to ask about non trackables since I think a geocoin is a geocoin...no matter whether its trackable or not.

The category needs refinement. Geocoins is a good start, but 2 sub-categories should exist, trackable and non-trackable.

I don't think listings would be shutdown for listing in "other" as I have been though. That's where anything fits :unsure:

I had some listed in other, so I would not be so sure about that. I think this is probably a new category and a lot of us will be getting a call. Maybe one of the future recipients can ask the questions that have arisen. Glen

My auctions were removed completely, no warning, no phone calls, email nothing...

Just an email afterwards saying don't do it again or you will be banned..

I am not too impressed with Ebay at this point.

I had one shut down like this too.. :unsure:

My auctions were removed completely, no warning, no phone calls, email nothing...

I had one shut down like this too.. :unsure:

so you had no idea whatsoever why they were pulled? The ones I've had pulled I was given a reason why they didn't conform to ebay's rules so at least I had an idea what I did wrong

Somebody from EBAY called me this morning and let me know that there was now a category for GEOCOINS. I guess our EBAY sales have grown enough to warrant our own category. ...

So....anybody want to argue with me now about whether or not geocoins have become commercial? :unsure:

I suppose this might make searching easier in case somebody forgets to put "geocoin" in their title, but other than that what's the point?

Somebody from EBAY called me this morning and let me know that there was now a category for GEOCOINS. I guess our EBAY sales have grown enough to warrant our own category. ...

So....anybody want to argue with me now about whether or not geocoins have become commercial? :unsure:

Now that is funny. No arguing for sure

In the sum total it means absolutely nothing for geocoins, except that those who choose to buy them on eBay will no longer have to weed out the "good luck tokens", "challenge coins", "brothel tokens", etc. previously encountered when looking through the "Other" category. Too bad, I kind of enjoyed the distractions LOL.

Somebody from EBAY called me this morning and let me know that there was now a category for GEOCOINS. I guess our EBAY sales have grown enough to warrant our own category.
Or all the numismatist kept complaining about there being all these things in their "other" section :laughing:

I interpret the catagory which I see as "Geocoins, Trackable Coins" to mean Geocoins (including non-trackable) and other coins that are trackable.

I was hoping my post would save some of you from that fate, I guess another case of too little too late. Glen

So....anybody want to argue with me now about whether or not geocoins have become commercial? :anicute:

If it were really, really commerical they would charge us $0.15 for each post in the forums! :anicute: ~ guess I would owe $483.50 :grin: Coins were commerical from the outset, a better argument would be when did they become a side hobby not related to geocaching. :anicute:

How do you figure they were commercial from the start? Moun10bike never sold his coin, never auctioned it off, it was a kind gesture, a gift to a fellow cacher, how are coins like his commercial?

BOT-Just what ebay needed, yet another category.....

So....anybody want to argue with me now about whether or not geocoins have become commercial? :anicute:

If it were really, really commerical they would charge us $0.15 for each post in the forums! :anicute: ~ guess I would owe $483.50 :grin: Coins were commerical from the outset, a better argument would be when did they become a side hobby not related to geocaching. :anicute:

I would say they were a side hobby of geocaching that became a commerical venture. More options, more makers, more $ involved.

So....anybody want to argue with me now about whether or not geocoins have become commercial? :blink:

Sure, sort of! I think that geocoins can be commercial. But the question is:

What possible difference does it make whether or not geocoins are commercial, non-commercial, gifts from the Almighty, or anything else? At the end of the day, they're travel bugs and that really is the important bit.

Any other attributes that people stick on them are really just psychological baggage. Nobody has debates on whether or not any other travel bug is especially commercial or not. It shouldn't matter whether or not geocoins are commercial or not.

In essence, the commerciality (is that a word?) of geocoins is a red herring. If you like a geocoin and having it meets whatever needs you have, then buy/trade for it. If you don't like a geocoin or having it will not fulfill whatever purpose you have, then don't buy/trade for it. Being concerned about whether or not a geocoin is commercial is a petty expenditure of energy that could be directed to better things.