528 ft rule

MainFrame185

I scoped out what I thought to be a perfect spot for my first microcache only to find out that another person already has one there! After I had the coords I typed them in to the search page, and the closest one was .3 miles away. That was until I decided to try and find that cache at lunch and discovered his coords were the same as mine!

There has to be an easier way to check out the position you are considering for a cache to see if there is another one too close by. I really want to play by the rules!

I didn't find this cache BTW. It is hidden better than I was going to hide mine!

When I go out to hide a cache, I put all the caches I have found, the caches I haven't found, and the caches I own for that area in my GPSr.

If there happens to be a Puzzle cache in the area, I am out of luck . . . :shocked:

That's the simplest.

I used to know my area well enough to where I just knew. But that's all changed and I'd load up my GPS and cross check.

There has to be an easier way to check out the position you are considering for a cache to see if there is another one too close by. I really want to play by the rules!

I don't know where you were planning on placing your cache, but I did a quick check of some of the caches you have found, and have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of caches packed into Anchorage (the cache I checked had about 50 other caches within 2 miles of it )

Maybe that isn't where you were thinking of placing the cache. But if you were trying to place a cache in a cache-dense area, and you haven't already found most of the caches in that area, and you found the perfect spot for a new cache, it seems likely that you might bump up against a previously placed cache.

edit: I just did a check, and realized that my immediate area has about the same cache density. :shocked:

Edited by cache_test_dummies

I don't know where you were planning on placing your cache, but I did a quick check of some of the caches you have found, and have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of caches packed into Anchorage (the cache I checked had about 50 other caches within 2 miles of it )

Maybe that isn't where you were thinking of placing the cache. But if you were trying to place a cache in a cache-dense area, and you haven't already found most of the caches in that area, and you found the perfect spot for a new cache, it seems likely that you might bump up against a previously placed cache.

edit: I just did a check, and realized that my immediate area has about the same cache density. :unsure:

Yea, there are a LOT of caches in Anchorage. I live in Eagle River, and they are a bit more spread out there, but I work in Anchorage and I love to do lunchtime caching. The spot for the cache I wanted to hide was visible from my window on the 4th floor and I thought it would be fun to watch cachers do the "Drunken Bee Dance" but I really don't want to crowd the person that already has a cache there. I wish i could find their cache!

When I go out to hide a cache, I put all the caches I have found, the caches I haven't found, and the caches I own for that area in my GPSr.

If there happens to be a Puzzle cache in the area, I am out of luck . . . :unsure:

I ordered a serial cable for my GPSr. It should be here next week. Trying to hand jam in all of the coords would be too cumbersome!

Yea, there are a LOT of caches in Anchorage. I live in Eagle River, and they are a bit more spread out there, but I work in Anchorage and I love to do lunchtime caching. The spot for the cache I wanted to hide was visible from my window on the 4th floor and I thought it would be fun to watch cachers do the "Drunken Bee Dance" but I really don't want to crowd the person that already has a cache there. I wish i could find their cache!
Well, keep looking out the window. Someone might show you where it is soon enough.
What really confuses me is with a state the size of Alaska there have got to be more places to hide caches without even having to worry about the 528 ft rule.
Same thing with just about every state. The problem is that the caches are where the people are.

I used Google Maps before hiding mine but there was a hidden leg of a multi too close so it was rejected.

Am unsure what to do now as state and national forests are off limits. Maybe a timber company will allow it on their land? Our local parks are full I was told by reviewer. Oh well....