Calling all Blackberry users!

I just got my Blackberry and want to use it to view my GPX files while out caching. A lot of places I go do not have cell reception, but I dropped my GPX files into GPX Spinner and loaded the resulting Html pages onto my memory card. Problam is that I have no idea how to view these files on the BB web browser.

Can someone help me out here??

Thanks!

I haven't used a Blackberry, but I do something similar with my Samsung BlackJack. I use GSAK and use the HTML export. Then I just have to run the index.htm file created from File Explorer. Since the directory will get pretty full and take a while to load, I recomment creating a shortcut to the file. I just took the time to load all the files and then opened the index file. Once it's open, you can add the "page" as a favorite. Now I just have to run the favorite and it opens up my cache info. Also, when you update your phone, just clear the directory and drop in the new files. Since it's always the same file, the link is always correct.

I haven't used a Blackberry, but I do something similar with my Samsung BlackJack. I use GSAK and use the HTML export. Then I just have to run the index.htm file created from File Explorer. Since the directory will get pretty full and take a while to load, I recomment creating a shortcut to the file. I just took the time to load all the files and then opened the index file. Once it's open, you can add the "page" as a favorite. Now I just have to run the favorite and it opens up my cache info. Also, when you update your phone, just clear the directory and drop in the new files. Since it's always the same file, the link is always correct.

Problem is that there is no file manager in the Blackberry, at least to the best of my knowledge. I have all my HTML files on the memory card, but no way to open index.html in the browser.

This thread got me thinking about going paperless using my Blackberry 8800.

So I decided to do a lil test. I downloaded the PDF of a geocache listing, and then emailed it to myself, then tried to open the PDF in my BB mail and viola I had a chopped up but readable cache information and logs.

Does this work for others? I am thinking I will be using this for a bit to see how it works for me.

Easier way to go paperless with a BlackBerry is to download caches to your GPSr with the name of the waypoint being the GCxxxx name.

When what you have in youyr GPS is not enough for you to find the cache go to the wap.geocaching.com site and look up the cache info.

You have a perfectly good web browser in your BlackBerry so use it. The wap.geocaching.com site is nice and quick on a BB.

The only drawback might be if there is no cell service for your BlackBerry where you are caching. No signal=no web browsing.

I was looking into paperless and was going to get a Palm or PocketPC. Then I read here about using the BB for paperless. So this idea isn't mine but I read about it here.

You have a perfectly good web browser in your BlackBerry so use it. The wap.geocaching.com site is nice and quick on a BB.

I totally agree about the web browser, I just had no idea that wap.geocaching.com even existed! I just found it on the website forum, duh!

Edited by AnotherPirate

I totally agree about the web browser, I just had no idea that wap.geocaching.com even existed! I just found it on the website forum, duh!

Yes, this is news to me, too. Thanks for the heads up!

This is very handy (when there is cell service).

I have been using wap.geocaching.com for at least 6 months now. Unfortunately there isn't service everywhere. I wish GSAK, CacheMate, GPZ Sonar, etc would make an application that works on the Blackberry. I have also tried to use MobiPocket, but it too has not impressed me like GPX Sonar on my pocket PC.

I have a BlackBerry 7130e, and I admit I'm still doing this a bit low-tech for a paperless approach. I drop the text of the cache page in a note in Outlook on my PC, and synch this w/ my BB. So the ones I'm planning to hit, I have the captured info even if I don't have a signal.

But I did learn (like others above) that geocaching.com is one of the few sites that works WELL on a BB web connection...fast, pretty darn near easy to read, and son-of-a-gun I can even log cache finds while I'm doing it in the field! Now THAT'S paperless...and PC-less!

One time saver for getting through the web pages via your BlackBerry...stick ALL the caches in the area you might be in onto your watchlist. You can get to your watchlist easily on the PDA once you log in, and then you aren't hunting for geocaches by proximity to a coord. If you've got the GCxxxx code, great, but I think of them by name. <_<

J