What is with the basemap for the 60csx?

What is with the basemap for the 60csx? I realize that the basemaps are a little off with regards to accuracy but give me a break. I have a Garmin GPSIII plus and a GPS V and they are not too bad. I just received a new 60csx and holy cow is it off. For example: cities that are supposed to be West of a another city are now East of that city. Major roads are 10 miles off.

What is with the basemap for the 60csx? I realize that the basemaps are a little off with regards to accuracy but give me a break. I have a Garmin GPSIII plus and a GPS V and they are not too bad. I just received a new 60csx and holy cow is it off. For example: cities that are supposed to be West of a another city are now East of that city. Major roads are 10 miles off.

Sounds like you've accidentally altered the reference location.

Called Garmin. Something with the Track up and Track North, I switched it to Track North and evrything fell into place.

That's what I was going to suggest.Like when I got my GPS V,it was set so what ever way I was heading was at the top of the screen.I prefer it to always be north.

I keep my GPSR on North up when I am hiking. I don't like the map moving around when I stop on the trail. However, when on a long road trip, Track Up was better. That way I knew, without having to think about it, whether a cache coming up was going to be on the left hand side of the road, or the right. :unsure:

I keep my GPSR on North up when I am hiking. I don't like the map moving around when I stop on the trail. However, when on a long road trip, Track Up was better. That way I knew, without having to think about it, whether a cache coming up was going to be on the left hand side of the road, or the right. :blink:

:unsure: ...not a bad idea....

I keep my GPSR on North up when I am hiking. I don't like the map moving around when I stop on the trail. However, when on a long road trip, Track Up was better. That way I knew, without having to think about it, whether a cache coming up was going to be on the left hand side of the road, or the right. :laughing:

The great thing about the GPS is you can choose which ever way you prefer.

I prefer to use the track up when I'm hiking. When I used to carry a map (back in the day) I kept the map generally oriented to the direction I was headed, so I have the GPS do the same. It helps me keep a general bearing on my next way point in perspective to what is around me.

I sometimes switch to North Up when I'm stopped to study the map and the GPS loses track of which way I am facing. Then I don't have to worry about the map moving around when I'm not. But 99% of the time it is in Track Up mode.

It is all a matter of preference and what works best for you.

I have my 60CSx configured to display Track Up orientation when zoomed below 5 mile scale. That way if I want to see my North Up orientation I just zoom out to 5 mile scale or higher. It’s really handy when I’m trying to locate something that I know is in a specific direction from a town, lake or other large geographic object. I can simply cursor over to it, press enter and go to it. Then I can zoom back in to see more detail and my orientation is Track Up so I can directly relate to what’s in front of me, on my right, etc.

I have my 60CSx configured to display Track Up orientation when zoomed below 5 mile scale. That way if I want to see my North Up orientation I just zoom out to 5 mile scale or higher. It’s really handy when I’m trying to locate something that I know is in a specific direction from a town, lake or other large geographic object. I can simply cursor over to it, press enter and go to it. Then I can zoom back in to see more detail and my orientation is Track Up so I can directly relate to what’s in front of me, on my right, etc.

How do you get it to respond differently at differing zoom settings? I thought it would just have to be one or the other -- track up or north.

Richard

How do you get it to respond differently at differing zoom settings? I thought it would just have to be one or the other -- track up or north.

Richard

Page to the map screen and MENU/ Set up Map

Select the left-most icon at the top of the screen ( the compass rose)

Scroll down to Orientation, select Track Up

Scroll down to Below, and select the zoom level where you want Track Up to switch to North Up

Happing Tracking!