Have you use Snapware?

I went to buy some Lock-and-lock containers last night, and noticed that Snapware has a line of 4 lock containers now.

60820.jpg

I fiddled around with them and they seem to be the same it most ways. One difference was that the locks on the Snapware didn't 'snap' as well as the Lock-and-lock. The other difference was the price. The Snapware cost less.

Has anyone seen this type of Snapware used for a cache? If so, do they work as well as Lock-and-Lock?

BTW, I bought the Lock-and-lock. Why not go with a sure thing?

Is there a gasket in the lid? I think that's the key to Lock n Locks.

I've see Sterlite boxes that look a lot like the Snapware, but there is no gasket and they leak like

a Bush administration official.

:blink::D

Yes there is a gasket in the lid. That was the first thing I checked. The seal seemed to be real good. The thing that I noticed was that the "locks" didn't seem to snap down as easily. That 'might' problem in the field. But I have never seen them in use so I don't know. They were about 25 to 50% cheaper item for item though.

But like I said, I'll go with a sure thing until I see or hear otherwise.

From the photo - gasket is not obvious.

Also the snaps are intgrated into the part of the lid that would need to form a seal. Doesn't seem like it would seal as well. Plastic also looks thinner and cheaper.

I'll stick with Lock-n-Locks.

I found a better photo. I was looking in the wrong part of their website.

401001.jpg

They are called MODS™.

But I will stick with Lock-and-Locks as well for now.

Do Coleman waterproof matchboxes work well for micros?

Yes but for just 88 cents at the local Wal-Mart you can get a generic of the same thing without the whistle and cheap compass on it. They are an annoying orange but have an o-ring seal that works great. Add a little camo tape.

Do Coleman waterproof matchboxes work well for micros?

Yes but for just 88 cents at the local Wal-Mart you can get a generic of the same thing without the whistle and cheap compass on it. They are an annoying orange but have an o-ring seal that works great. Add a little camo tape.

Oh, I actaully have the Coleman already (it was $2)...but it doesn't have that stuff you mentioned. I must've overlooked these at Wal-Mart when I was there...or maybe they were out. I'll keep an eye out in the future. Thanks.

My wife likes the Snapware because it stacks better without the little tabs on the sides like the Lock n' locks have. I think the Snapware is a bit flimsy and the snaps don't hold very well. They do have gaskets so I'm sure they would work as caches, but I have used a few lock n' locks as caches without complaint. I'll let my wife stack the Snapware and I'll go place caches with my Lock n' locks.

Hey, I just made a Lock-n-Lock rock. I can't wait till tomorrow to take it out of the mold. :D

Lock-n-Lock rock

Lock-n-Lock rock

Lock-n-Lock rock

Lock-n-Lock rock

Lock-n-Lock rock

;) That's just fun to say. :unsure:

I just made a Lock-n-Lock Rock, too:

(Sung to the tune of "Rock Around the Clock")

One, two, three it locks, Lock-n-Locks Rock

Four, five, six it locks, Lock-n-Locks Rock

Seven, eight, nine, it locks, Lock-n-Locks Rock

The tabs'll lock - around - the box real tight!

C'mon... gimme a break, it was a long day... :blink:

I currently have 2 SnapWare containers in the field, and another one ready to go. Target sell both SnapWare and Lock & Lock, side by side, and I looked at both. There's just not enough difference between the two to worry about. The size I wanted was only available in SnapWare, so that's what I went with.

Also the snaps are intgrated into the part of the lid that would need to form a seal. Doesn't seem like it would seal as well. Plastic also looks thinner and cheaper.

401001.jpg

They are called MODS™.

I've used these and L&L. Seem to work as well but haven't been in the field that long for the test of time. They seal well. FYI, I"ve seen older L&Ls that have tabs breaking off from exposure to elements and use over time. None of them last as long as ammo cans. I find the Snapware as water proof as the L&L. I use one in my car as a traveling water bowl for my geomutts; seals up nicely between drinks without spilling any water in my car. :unsure:

I have a Lock-n-Lock being used as a letterbox on the river trail here in Georgetown. Early March, we had VERY heavy rains for a while, and lots of river flooding. Over Spring Break I went to check on them, and was astounded at the flooding along the river.

Anyway, when I looked for my letterbox (hidden in a brushpile about 15 feet from the river, and at least 6 feet above normal river), I couldn't find it. Considering the flooding, I wasn't surprised that it had washed out (we just didn't consider possible high water when we set it). I turned around, and found it sitting on top of a pile of flood debris (that fine chip wood you see everywhere) about 6 feet away! It was completely dry inside, and undamaged.

Nicely waterproof and durable!

I have a Lock-n-Lock being used as a letterbox on the river trail here in Georgetown. Early March, we had VERY heavy rains for a while, and lots of river flooding. Over Spring Break I went to check on them, and was astounded at the flooding along the river.

Anyway, when I looked for my letterbox (hidden in a brushpile about 15 feet from the river, and at least 6 feet above normal river), I couldn't find it. Considering the flooding, I wasn't surprised that it had washed out (we just didn't consider possible high water when we set it). I turned around, and found it sitting on top of a pile of flood debris (that fine chip wood you see everywhere) about 6 feet away! It was completely dry inside, and undamaged.

Nicely waterproof and durable!

Yeah, that's what I picked up at Wal-Mart. I've been doing some testing and they seem pretty good. The thing I like is that they pretty much close and seal on their own. I think you'd have to almost deliberately not close it correctly.

The Lock-n-Lock have been in the field for a while now and it sounds like the new Snapware container are out with more going out. I would be interested to hear back on how well they do. If the Snapware MODS hold up as well as the Lock-n-Lock I might have to go with them for my next batch of caches. They are less expensive.

The Lock-n-Lock have been in the field for a while now and it sounds like the new Snapware container are out with more going out. I would be interested to hear back on how well they do. If the Snapware MODS hold up as well as the Lock-n-Lock I might have to go with them for my next batch of caches. They are less expensive.

Where did you pick those up? I looked around, but haven't seen the brand.

Where did you pick those up? I looked around, but haven't seen the brand.

They have both at Target.

Both look pretty good.

I've done something interesting with these lately. Take a large piece of bark from, say, a dead stump - something that's 6x10 or so and at least an inch thick. Screw the lock/lock top into the bark - jus put the top against the bark with the outside facing the bark, drill a starter hole and run in a wood screw. then fill container and snap shut. This is somewhat better than just covering the cache with bark because the cammo is 'built in', as it were.

401001.jpg

They are called MODS™.

Now that I see the photo, I've used something very much like these. They were not as good as Lock n Locks. Cheaper, but the tabs come off much quicker and also the tab just rests under the rim and sometimes doesn't grab well.

clickandsealmediumnu2.jpg

Has anyone tried the Click N Seal containers. These were found at the 99cent Only Store in California. The large one (4.75" or 12cm diameter) on the left is 99cents. The medium and small come together as a package for 99 cents total for the two. They are made in India and appear very close to the Lock&Lock in function/material/thickness, etc (the red round thing on the lid is a turning date marker with 31 marks -- the lid has no hole for this marker, it snaps on/off.)

Edited by EScout

Has anyone tried the Click N Seal containers. These were found at the 99cent Only Store in California. The large one (4.75" or 12cm diameter) on the left is 99cents. The medium and small come together as a package for 99 cents total for the two. They are made in India and appear very close to the Lock&Lock in function/material/thickness, etc (the red round thing on the lid is a turning date marker with 31 marks -- the lid has no hole for this marker, it snaps on/off.)

Do these have a gasket like the Lock N Locks do?

I'm just setting up my first cache and have a bunch of snapware on hand that I use for food storage. The small flat rectangular size (2"x4"x6" - 2 cup) seemed just right so I carefully dried it inside and out, snapped the lid shut and ran it under the faucet for about a minute, turning all sides to the running water then dried the outside, opened the lid and ..... it was dry as a bone inside. The only place I can buy these near where I live is Bed, Bath & Beyond and if I want to use Lock & Lock I can't find them anywhere nearby so would have to get them online from someplace like Amazon.com.

I'm just setting up my first cache and have a bunch of snapware on hand that I use for food storage.

I'd be cautious about using containers that once held food. Many critters have much better smell than humans and can find these containers easily, break into them hoping to find a meal, and perhaps take them far from Ground Zero. Even bleaching the container might not prevent wildlife problems. That said, I know a local cacher who has used lots of peanut butter jars with good success. So, your container also might do well. Just don't be shocked if it does go missing.

We have a bunch of snapware containers out. They do fine and we got a good deal on them at costcos. Much better then some containers but probibly not as good as a lock n lock but still work out great. The last box of them we bought some of the gaskets were not in right so it was hard to lock but the first box was great. Just painted up some more in camo color.

-WarNinjas