Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Back Quackers

Cache site for Hams Only?

My wife and I have been geocaching for just over 5 years. From the very start I thought this would be a good hobby to combine with Ham Radio but wasn't able to stir up much interest with my ham friends. Most don't get outdoors much anymore.

Anyway, the XYL and I have always thought it would be fun to put up a cache site for Hams only. To make an entry in the cache site logbook you would have to make a QSO and log the QSO in the log book. Any band, any mode.

Any thoughts on this?????

The BackQuackers

W7HLO & KE7HMU

I thought the same thing. My idea was to have the operator figure out a simple puzzle in order to get a correct radio frequency. Then they would use some dtmf tones to play a recording. The recording would tell the final coord's.. I'm just wondering what kinda puzzle to use ????

Any ideas??

Chris KA7CJH

If a cache site for Non Hams that can only be logged by non hams is a good idea, then I think you are truly on to something.

If not, then it's probably a bad idea.

I think its a great idea!!! It would be good if there was a way everybody across the country could participate. Using a local repeater is good and the dtmf tones is an awesome idea, but then how many participants would you get. Now if you used echolink or something like that, you could get some more involvement.

And for the non-hams, they could find a ham to help them communicate. I was thinking of figuring out clues that lead to a website, and on the website was a recording that played a morse code file which gives you the next steps. I dont know what would be at the end of the rainbow, I haven't thought that far ahead yet...

What other ideas are floating around out there???

KE5EHZ

I think its a great idea!!! It would be good if there was a way everybody across the country could participate. Using a local repeater is good and the dtmf tones is an awesome idea, but then how many participants would you get. Now if you used echolink or something like that, you could get some more involvement.

And for the non-hams, they could find a ham to help them communicate. I was thinking of figuring out clues that lead to a website, and on the website was a recording that played a morse code file which gives you the next steps. I dont know what would be at the end of the rainbow, I haven't thought that far ahead yet...

What other ideas are floating around out there???

KE5EHZ

Here in the Toronto area we have this cache, which requires the finder to have formal traffic passed to the cache owner in order for the find to be logged.

Chris

VE2CZ

My wife and I have been geocaching for just over 5 years. From the very start I thought this would be a good hobby to combine with Ham Radio but wasn't able to stir up much interest with my ham friends. Most don't get outdoors much anymore.

Anyway, the XYL and I have always thought it would be fun to put up a cache site for Hams only. To make an entry in the cache site logbook you would have to make a QSO and log the QSO in the log book. Any band, any mode.

The BackQuackers

W7HLO & KE7HMU

Why Limit it to certain people?

Theres enough elitist's in Ham Radio itself, why expand on that bad practice?

Nero - KF6JAX

Edited by Nero

The BackQuackers

W7HLO & KE7HMU

Why Limit it to certain people?

Theres enough elitist's in Ham Radio itself, why expand on that bad practice?

Nero - KF6JAX

Geocaching has enough elitists with the Terracache bunch anyway.

What's wrong with making a cache based on Ham radio...nothing. If somebody decides to make a cache for Hams only, that's there choice. What about those caches that require diving equipment or climbing gear, or any specialized equipment?? If I don't have the equipment, I don't get bothered that I can't find that particular cache. I think it's great when somebody takes geocaching and merges it with another one of their hobbies. It's just another way to expand the sport and enjoy it in your own way. So, if somebody wants to make a cache revolving around amateur radio, go for it. If a non-Ham wants to find it, they have all the right to get a license and learn about the hobby.

Edited by TacRat

What's wrong with making a cache based on Ham radio...nothing. If somebody decides to make a cache for Hams only, that's there choice. What about those caches that require diving equipment or climbing gear, or any specialized equipment?? If I don't have the equipment, I don't get bothered that I can't find that particular cache. I think it's great when somebody takes geocaching and merges it with another one of their hobbies. It's just another way to expand the sport and enjoy it in your own way. So, if somebody wants to make a cache revolving around amateur radio, go for it. If a non-Ham wants to find it, they have all the right to get a license and learn about the hobby.

A cache that requires ham radio gear isn't quite the same thing as a cache site for hams only.

There is at least one ham cache that requires formal traffic to be sent to the cache owner via ham radio.

Edited by geoSquid

I know of the cache in Toronto that requires sending a message via NTS, and that's great!! Even if you aren't a Ham, you can find a Ham who will send the message for you. I just don't see why so many people throw a fit when there's a cache available only to certain people. If somebody wants to create a cache for Hams only, so be it. Let them enjoy the sport the way that want to enjoy it.

Why do some people want to turn everything into the "Special Olympics" where "everybody wins"? Having caches that are of special interest to hikers and backpackers, or off road enthusiasts, or young folks or old folks, or anybody that needs or enjoys something different is a good thing. What the heck is wrong with people being different instead of all out of the same cookie cutter mold? I am a ham and would enjoy a ham cache, but have no intentions of doing ham caches exclusivley. I happen to like variety, for if they are all the same, why bother? If you found one, you found them all. Makes for a very short term sport don't you think? :o

Why do some people want to turn everything into the "Special Olympics" where "everybody wins"? Having caches that are of special interest to hikers and backpackers, or off road enthusiasts, or young folks or old folks, or anybody that needs or enjoys something different is a good thing. What the heck is wrong with people being different instead of all out of the same cookie cutter mold? I am a ham and would enjoy a ham cache, but have no intentions of doing ham caches exclusivley. I happen to like variety, for if they are all the same, why bother? If you found one, you found them all. Makes for a very short term sport don't you think? :blink:

Very well put kd5kuf.

Why do some people want to turn everything into the "Special Olympics" where "everybody wins"? Having caches that are of special interest to hikers and backpackers, or off road enthusiasts, or young folks or old folks, or anybody that needs or enjoys something different is a good thing. What the heck is wrong with people being different instead of all out of the same cookie cutter mold? I am a ham and would enjoy a ham cache, but have no intentions of doing ham caches exclusivley. I happen to like variety, for if they are all the same, why bother? If you found one, you found them all. Makes for a very short term sport don't you think? :)

Very well put kd5kuf.

Well let's see here. There is a big difference in having a cache that is in some way ham related that is open to everyone who wants to take a turn finding it, and having a ham related cache that requires you to have a license in hand before you play and/or log.

There is a cache locally GC11QP6 that is found by decoding 5/13 WPM Farnsworth CW (as a .mp3 file linked to the cache webpage.), to get the lat & lon. Nothing says that it is licensed ham only. And it seems that a big percentage of the cachers who have found it are inactive hams. Interesting. I'd seen them logging for years and never knew they had a license at one time. Plus a few non hams who wanted a challenge.

Licensed or not. If a person wants to expend the energy to find a cache, and inadvertently learns something new in the process, well that's cool.

And anyway I'm sick of finding "cookie-cutter" caches everywhere. I want to try/find something different. So this one was cool.

Tenevda

N6DSW

If you want to built caches site for HAMS only you can use opensource project with name OpenCaching and make some modify. You can download source via CVS from http://devel.openaching.de/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/html/

We have use in Poland this project for our local geocaching database and you can see how working this http://www.opencaching.pl

73!

Edited by guest

There are many caches placed on UK summits and referred to as SOTAcaches http://www.summitcaching.org.uk/ These are mainly searched for by hams taking part in the Summits On The Air SOTA programme.

We leave QSL cards in all the caches we find; if they are big enough as well as a small token, my children love caching and it has given us all many hours of fresh air, enjoyment and frustration in some cases tired.gif

Why limit these caches to Hams, if others find them and there is information about our hobby such as QSL cards, we could be spreading the word about the lovely friendly amateur radio world we all love.

Helen

GW7AAU

Happy DX and Caching

Another spin-off of this idea might be to cache QRP-portable transcievers, batteries, temporary wire antennas, keys... etc. Find the cache, set up the transciever, see how many you can work, avoid being made by muggles. Some of the kit QRP-CW transceivers are small enough and cheap enough to fit an ammo can with room to spare. A couple watts and good wire antenna do the job. It could be a casual, fun thing or become more of an organized contest thing with people calling CQ QRP GC (for geocaching). Personally, I prefer the tradecraft of setting up QRP-P and avoiding muggles, or just operating from new unusual locations, to weekend ham contests. Of course the cache log would also include stations worked.

Traditional caches might include riddles or codes (not morse) that only a ham would know, that would give the ham clues to the ham-only geocache. One would not want muggles to get their hands on a cached radio!!!

SINCGARS

W6...

Another spin-off of this idea might be to cache QRP-portable transcievers, batteries, temporary wire antennas, keys... etc. Find the cache, set up the transciever, see how many you can work, avoid being made by muggles. Some of the kit QRP-CW transceivers are small enough and cheap enough to fit an ammo can with room to spare. A couple watts and good wire antenna do the job. It could be a casual, fun thing or become more of an organized contest thing with people calling CQ QRP GC (for geocaching). Personally, I prefer the tradecraft of setting up QRP-P and avoiding muggles, or just operating from new unusual locations, to weekend ham contests. Of course the cache log would also include stations worked.

Traditional caches might include riddles or codes (not morse) that only a ham would know, that would give the ham clues to the ham-only geocache. One would not want muggles to get their hands on a cached radio!!!

SINCGARS

W6...

I've thought similiar...years ago, I built a 20 meter Rock-Mite from a kit. It could easily be mounted inside an ammo can. I set mine to run off a 9v battery.

I like the idea of having to read CW to get a clue and coordinates...how do you put a sound file on the cache page!? I'd love to do that!

The BackQuackers

W7HLO & KE7HMU

Then from there maybe we can have a site for Harley riders only, then maybe Ford owners only, and on and on and on.