Have you ever been swayed by a forum debate?

I am curious as to how many people have changed their opinions about a topic after reading or participating in a forum debate.

I have changed my mind about DNFs. After reading many posts pro and con I decided to log all of my DNFs.

I also changed my mind about parking coordinates. I started a thread complaining about not being able to determine where to park. I realize now that some people (me included) leave them out for a reason.

What have you been persuaded to change your opinion about?

Any single debate. Not that I remember. But over time I've changed a few of the things I do. I'm more likely to log a DNF even if the owner told me that I found the nothing there was to find and that it's ok.

I found the UniBall Power tank pen as a cheap but good way to write on wet logs and have the ink not run.

I learn a lot of things though that I would not have learned otherwise.

I know that over time and several different threads, I have altered my thinking on a number of issues.

What caches I will log and how.

My thinking about ALR caches.

How I view Travel Bugs.

Cache T/D ratings.

Probably subtle changes in a few other things as well.

I know that over time and several different threads, I have altered my thinking on a number of issues.

Probably subtle changes

Me too. I just can't think of anything specific at the moment.... :blink:

I have actually agreed with Coyote Red or been able to grasp his point of view a few times and that certainly counts in my book. :D I never learned much from someone that always agreed with me. :D

I never learned much from someone that always agreed with me. :D
A good philosophy to live by. :blink:

I figure that if I don't think I can be swayed, why bother? Of course, it's hard to sway me when you argue in circles, a common tactic in the forums. I've gotten enough out of them so far that they are still worthwhile, but as soon as they stop being fun & informative, buh-bye!

Edited by Too Tall John

What an excellent forum topic! These are conclusions I've come to because of the forums:

• I will never put a plastic bag in the cache for the log book. If the container can't keep it dry then the bag won't either.
  • I will never use a pipe as a cache again (I've only done that once, briefly).
  • I will pick and choose which caches to persue, rather than feel obligated to find them all.
  • I will always strive to place the biggest cache that is reasonable for the area.
  • I will focus less on getting more caches and focus more on enjoying each one. It's not about the numbers.
  • I will try harder to be polite in my logs. People are more sensitive than I realized.

Absolutely. As with everyone else, I'm not aware of a single statement or thread that altered my thinking, but I'm sure I've been influenced by the time wasted spent here.

Actually, I believe a remark by Auntie Weasel once reversed my thinking - quite a while back, when pocket caches were an occasional feature of Florida events, and I thought they were an okay mixer and a reasonable "owner's rules" option, she made a succinct statement (sorry, too lazy to try and come up with a link for it)(something about 'fairsies') that got my attention. I started logging them as notes at that point. Later they got out of hand, and still later they went into lock-up land.

I also rather like micros in the woods - however, I don't hide them much these days - mostly because they're a PITA to own, but also by popular demand, at least as expressed here - for larger containers.

On the other hand, I've seen some really hardened positions that seem to be set in concrete. I'm reasonable, affable and amenable to change, it's those other guys..... :blink:

I can't think of any issues where I have my view has been reversed, but many times it has moved one way or the other. The forum may not have defined my view but the have refined them.

The biggest thing I've gained is just knowledge. Reading about others experiences, be it with containers, types of caches and so on, I have gain knowledge based on experience. Because of that I have changed the way I cache and look at others caches and my own. I think the forums have made me a better cacher.

I am curious as to how many people have changed their opinions about a topic after reading or participating in a forum debate.

I have changed my mind about DNFs. After reading many posts pro and con I decided to log all of my DNFs.

I also changed my mind about parking coordinates. I started a thread complaining about not being able to determine where to park. I realize now that some people (me included) leave them out for a reason.

Once...purely by accident.

In all seriousness, yes. It will vary based on topic...I don't know I've ever done a 180 on a topic, but possible. I don't really keep track.

When I first started I'd find and log a couple of additional caches at events. After reading the forums, and considering the reasons why not to do this, I've declined logging event caches again. I think I have a total of 2 or 3 "extra" caches in my history.

I don't frown upon anyone else that does it though, it's an aspect of the game that I consider harmless for those that do it.

There are two instance I can think of where I was swayed. The first is phony found it logs. I was from the "I don't like it, but who does it hurt?" school, until someone pointed out ways that phony logs affect others.

Also caches in plastic bags. My first year here I went to all my caches and wrapped them in plastic bags as winter approached, thinking it would keep them dry when the snow came. It was only after reading here how many people hated the practice that I decided it was a bad idea. In the spring I went back to remove all the bags, but someone else had already done so for me. I guess another local also thought it was a bad idea.

Not until I read this topic! :o:(:shocked:

Now I wil be swayed.

CW13

PS - Check out my number of posts...

I can't think of any issues where I have my view has been reversed, but many times it has moved one way or the other. The forum may not have defined my view but the have refined them.

The biggest thing I've gained is just knowledge. Reading about others experiences, be it with containers, types of caches and so on, I have gain knowledge based on experience. Because of that I have changed the way I cache and look at others caches and my own. I think the forums have made me a better cacher.

As usual I'm with TC.I haven't been able to do much of any caching over here,but since reading the forums,it's educated me in most aspects of the game.Cache containers,edicate,so on.I'm definately a better player because of the forums.I can take all of the things I've learned home and apply them.

I've also learned I'm the master at killing threads :shocked: ......... :(

When I first started caching it was common in my area to log multiple FOUND ITs on events for temporary caches, so I assumed that was universally accepted. The forums exposed me to a wider set of opinions, and I have since changed all multi-logs to notes.

Same here. :shocked:

I have.

I can't recall the specific topics, but I've changed my mind on a few things after a good debate in here.

There are some who like to come in and stand their ground no matter what - but I think the majority of folks are open to discussion and re-thinking thier stance once presented with antoher POV.

I would never admit it while engaged in a debate :shocked: but there have been several things that I have changed my opinions on. I too found myself agreeing with theAlabamaRambler once, but I forget now what it was :(

The one that comes to mind is a debate about 1/1 caches. In the end, I learned that 1/1 caches should be handicap accessible (I still come across a lot of 1/1's that are not)

Edited by ReadyOrNot

First off, great topic.

And, yes, definitely, and recently in regards to LPC, CPCs, and PLCs. I learned that there's several different sides to this issue and I came to center or went right on more than one aspect of them.

When I did change my mind, I learned that this is not often done in this forum and almost unacceptable to some. There was more than one poster that accused me of back peddling even though I clearly said that I changed my mind on the issue. Instead... they just went back a dug up old posts and quoted them out of context.

When I first started caching it was common in my area to log multiple FOUND ITs on events for temporary caches, so I assumed that was universally accepted. The forums exposed me to a wider set of opinions, and I have since changed all multi-logs to notes.

Agreed. A couple of the longest tenured and most well known cachers in my area (and they really are a "couple" :() are the most prolific event holders in my area. They usually have, at most, 3-4 temporary caches, and encourage multiple logs. I partook in this practice, but have since done a 180 after I started hanging out here. These people, by the way, are not "forum people" and probably have no idea there's a controversy, or that people in say, Wisconsin, have been known to log events 50+ times. :shocked:

Another one, it's been common in my area for people to encourage multiple finds on the same GC number, if the cache was muggled and moved, even if it was only 50 feet or so. I also partook in that, but have done a 180 there too. I still have a few double finds for caches that bore no resemblence to the original cache, but somehow were re-invented with the same GC number.

This is a good topic. Keystone's recent "Survivor: Traffic Island" experiment really helped me to learn to communicate more respectfully with others on a heated topic. I think the Ammo-I-likey tribe won that too! :(

I have also learned that some people like "Velvet Elvis!" :o:shocked:

c6053cf1-600f-4e0e-95b5-0aa7bb9902e9.jpgc6053cf1-600f-4e0e-95b5-0aa7bb9902e9.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Over the last couple years I've changed my mind about a number of things caching-wise and these forums are responsible for some of it.

Early on I found nothing wrong with logging an "armchair virtual". I've since changed my mind about that, due mostly to Briansnat's posts on the subject. I've since gone back and deleted any such finds.

I also didn't think logging a missing cache as found with the owners permission was a big deal, although I never personally engaged in the practice. Now I think it's a really dumb idea, because it falsely leads others into thinking the cache is still there -- something I hear over and over here.

I think the forums helped to strengthen my "purist" attitude towards caching. Criminal's posts had a lot to do with that, as did those of other like-minded folks.

What I've learned is that I can see the other side of a discussion (PC term). Holding your ground when someone makes a point and not trying to understand the utter side, well, is hard headed and selfish.

Slug away.

Seeing what the other side is saying and agreeing with it are two different things. I can clearly understand what other people are trying to convey most of the time, it's just that I often disagree with them. Am I hard headed and selfish because I disagree with someone's opinion?

What I've learned is that I can see the other side of a discussion (PC term). Holding your ground when someone makes a point and not trying to understand the utter side, well, is hard headed and selfish.

Slug away.

Seeing what the other side is saying and agreeing with it are two different things. I can clearly understand what other people are trying to convey most of the time, it's just that I often disagree with them. Am I hard headed and selfish because I disagree with someone's opinion?

Not at all. :unsure:

When I did change my mind, I learned that this is not often done in this forum and almost unacceptable to some. There was more than one poster that accused me of back peddling even though I clearly said that I changed my mind on the issue. Instead... they just went back a dug up old posts and quoted them out of context.

I hate it when people do that!

I have great respect for people who are capable of "losing" an argument and accepting the disagreeing point of view. I can count such personal acquaintances on one hand (people I've known in person). It's quite a feeling to have been in a heated debate with someone, only to have them stop and say, "you know, I think you may be right after all." Such people are rare. I've got to respect people like that. There's no getting around that.

Absolutely. When I started caching, I had no clue that these forums existed. I had no one to show me the ropes, so to speak, so all of my standards were gleaned from the logs of other cachers. What I saw, led me to certain conclusions regarding acceptable behaviors.

Once I entered these hallowed halls, I realized that many of my notions did not hold water, including my thoughts on pocket caches and multi-logging, and I've cleaned up my past errors, so that my "find" count is accurate. Something else I've developed from my time in here is a reduction in my level of tolerance for what I consider to be poorly thought out/placed caches. Thanx largely in part to many opinions voiced here, I've developed the belief that these types of caches can have a negative impact on the game as a whole.

Something else I've developed from my time in here is a reduction in my level of tolerance for what I consider to be poorly thought out/placed caches. Thanx largely in part to many opinions voiced here, I've developed the belief that these types of caches can have a negative impact on the game as a whole.

People actually debate the worthiness of caches that are published here and meet the guidelines? I've never seen any threads about this. Perhaps we should start one! :blink:;):unsure:

I have great respect for people who are capable of "losing" an argument and accepting the disagreeing point of view. I can count such personal acquaintances on one hand (people I've known in person). It's quite a feeling to have been in a heated debate with someone, only to have them stop and say, "you know, I think you may be right after all." Such people are rare. I've got to respect people like that. There's no getting around that.

I'll agree with that.

I'd say that its a good thing to stand up and defend your point of view - but only if you can also see the other side and admit when you are wrong.

I'd say that its a good thing to stand up and defend your point of view - but only if you can also see the other side and admit when you are wrong.

I've tried to debate people in this forum when I felt they were wrong, even managed to sway a few. The thing is, they'll admit that maybe their actions were not appropriate and then the next thing you know the cache police have jumped all over them for what they did and slammed the poor person into the ground never to be heard from again. I've learned to ignore such ranting, you have to have thick skin in a forum, but not everybody knows that...too bad. Guess I should email anyone who appears to be erring from the guidelines privately from now on.

I have seen topics start where i couldn't see how anyone could think the way they did. Just knew that there was nothing they could say that would sway me or cause me to change my mind on a subject. Now i will admit that there have been subjects brought up where i could understand where that other side was coming from and allthough i haven't ever changed my mind or been swayed, i have come to respect some of those other opinions and ways of doing things because of these forum discussions.

Ditto from one of the world's biggest lurkers! :unsure:

(Although, I must admit, I have been surprised by some of the information I have read. For instance, FTF claims. I would have never guessed that some folks actually just spot a cache, but for whatever reason do not retrieve it to sign the log book, or just photograph blank log book pages and never sign the log book, then log in to gc, use the Found It smilie and proclaim themselves FTF. How can you prove that 5 other cachers haven't spotted it before you and just didn't get home in time to log it first?)

I hate to hijack a good thread, but I'm going to anyway. Does anybody know where to buy the UniBall Power Tank pens? I bought a pack, and now the last one is just about out of ink. I've been looking in every store that sells pens, but I can't find them any longer. I need more!

When the definitions of the various cache types were modified recently, I asked my local reviewer to change my ALR (Additional Logging Requirement) cache from a Traditional to a Puzzle/Mystery.

In the past I wouldn't have bothered, based on my principle that those who choose not to read cache descriptions only have themselves to blame for any unpleasant results of their choice, but -- after reading the arguments posed by those who both (1) cache paperless and (2) don't care for ALR caches, I thought it over and decided that a method of electronically flagging ALR caches wouldn't hurt anything, and would evidently provide welcome convenience to a surprisingly (to me) large number of people. The wording of the new definition allowed for my cache to be included in the Puzzle/Mystery category. Now it won't show up in anyone's "Traditional only" PQ.

In short: That debate swayed me to modify my ALR cache listing.

Similarly, TrailGators recently convinced me that the idea of an "Ignore All Caches Hidden By This Cacher" button has merit, and I joined him in supporting the addition of such a tool to the cache (or profile) pages. I wouldn't use it myself, but it just might be an effective way for some cachers to enhance their enjoyment of the game.

I enjoy forum debates. I'm always open to being convinced that my position on a subject is wrong. Or that it warrants tweaking. Or even maybe just a good, thorough re-thinking.

If I’m right, I like to confirm that I’m right. Who wouldn’t?

If I'm wrong, I don't want to continue being wrong. Who would?

I don't think I conveyed what I was trying to say very well. I wasn't calling anyone a name or trying to insult anyone. If were either, then I apologize.

Slug away.

No need to apologize. I think you brought up a good point. There are 2 ways to disagree: Respectfully and disrespectfully. I have on many occasions fit your definition and have been working on pleasantly disagreeing with people as opposed to "If you don't agree with me, you suffer from stupidity"... I've moved towards "If you don't agree with me, you must be suffering from a mental disorder" and will soon arrive at "If you don't agree with me, you have probably had different life experiences"...

We are all a work in progress.....

This is a good topic. Keystone's recent "Survivor: Traffic Island" experiment really helped me to learn to communicate more respectfully with others on a heated topic. I think the Ammo-I-likey tribe won that too! :laughing:

I have also learned that some people like "Velvet Elvis!" :laughing::laughing:

Hopefully, you'll share these new communication skills in the forums one day. Edited by sbell111

This is a good topic. Keystone's recent "Survivor: Traffic Island" experiment really helped me to learn to communicate more respectfully with others on a heated topic. I think the Ammo-I-likey tribe won that too! :grin:

I have also learned that some people like "Velvet Elvis!" :anicute::anicute:

Hopefully, you'll share these new communication skills in the forums one day.
Hopefully you will stop needling and provoking people. Most angst starts with a snide comment or an insult like your last comment. :anicute: Edited by TrailGators

This is a good topic. Keystone's recent "Survivor: Traffic Island" experiment really helped me to learn to communicate more respectfully with others on a heated topic. I think the Ammo-I-likey tribe won that too! :anicute:

I have also learned that some people like "Velvet Elvis!" :anicute::anicute:

Hopefully, you'll share these new communication skills in the forums one day.

sbell...

What positive contribution do you feel you are making but saying things like this? From where I sit is it completely void of humor and insulting. Unprovoked, TG is a very positive and good contributor to this forum but you manage to goad him, myself and several others into a flame war by doing this. Maybe you and few others could do the right thing for once and reread your posts or better look at what overall effect they have on the discussion. Then perhaps taking some responsibility for the reputation* this forum has among geocachers.

* A shark tank. A place where great topics are consistently squashed by insults from a few very active malcontents.

Edited by Team GeoBlast