*NEED ROAD MAP?*

Hey guys Blis28 and i just picked up our first GPSr the other day, We decided to go with the Etrex legend we figured it was a good choice for our first one from the things that we have read. but now we are learning that we are going to need more than just the base map that it comes with so i was wondering if someone had the software we need? im not sure what its called but if you guys under stand this :blink: let me know thanks.

The mapset you pick will depend on your needs.

If this is a grayscale legend and the area you are traveling hasn't changed much in the past years (major road-wise), then topo or an older MetroGuide should work fine. You won't have much memory to work with on MG or CN.

If it's a color legend then newer MG or CityNav and/or topo.

If you share more about your equipment and intended uses we can provide more feedback.

Edited by fratermus

The mapset you pick will depend on your needs.

If this is a grayscale legend and the area you are traveling hasn't changed much in the past years (major road-wise), then topo or an older MetroGuide should work fine. You won't have much memory to work with on MG or CN.

If it's a color legend then newer MG or CityNav and/or topo.

If you share more about your equipment and intended uses we can provide more feedback.

heres the link to the unit straight from the garmin website. if you get a chance take a look. we only really planned on using it for geocaching, but now i see that it can be a very usefull tool. I cant wait to take it on its first road trip :blink: thanks for the quick response aswell..

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=173

heres the link to the unit straight from the garmin website. if you get a chance take a look. we only really planned on using it for geocaching, but now i see that it can be a very usefull tool. I cant wait to take it on its first road trip :blink: thanks for the quick response aswell..

Right, that's the original legend. I have two of them and love them.

Most people use TOPO for geocaching and something like MetroGuide for road work. Since the unit does not autoroute, City Navigator would not represent a meaninful improvement over MetroGuide.

The main limitation is memory: the legend has 8mb. I loaded up MGv8 to give you an idea of how much can fit:

mgv8sacramento8mb.png

The orangey area is the area selected to upload to the legend. You will notice that the size of the mapset is exactly 8mb. :-) Sometimes you have to juggle, selecting and deslelecting tiles.

You can find both Topo and MG on the used mapset market.

Edited by fratermus

That link to the used maps link doesn't work for me. Can someone point me in that direction? I recently bought a legend cx to replace my venture,would like to add maps but don't need autoroute. Thanks.

I pasted the URL poorly. Try now; I edited that post to fix it.

BTW, if you do end up with a used copy of MG, note that it really will autoroute, regardless of what the marketing drones want you to think.