April statistics

holograph

That puzzled me, also, Bob. The "recent recovery" map looked identical to last month's version.

It may have something to do with the erratic schedule NGS has followed in posting our uploads. For the past few months, it appears there has been only one upload per month, somewhere around the third week. I've been confused about what's in there, and what's not.

At the moment, my uploads through April 22nd are posted. I have not added any since that date.

We continue to add members to the "1,000 Club". Congratulations!

-Paul-

Love the maps, but....these look the same as the maps last month. Any else notice this?

Umm, oops. That's because I forgot to actually, uh, upload the new maps!. The zoomify map was uploaded but the thumbnails and delta map were forgotten. The new ones are there now. You may have to clear your browser cache to see the new images. Thanks for noticing!

Some members have noticed that they report under the same initials as other members, and their statistics are not correct. Until now, I didn't have any reasonable way to distinguish between the reports made under identical initials.

I am now able to keep track of initials by state, and if necessary by county. Tracking by state or county is the exception, and it won't be done unless someone notices that their statistics are wrong and tells me about it. Once I know that initials are being used by more than one person, I can set up the tables that allow their reports to be more accurately credited.

How is the other site maintained? Do I need to log my finds somewhere else so they will post on the map or are they behind in they're updating so it will show up later? I found some last month and none were marked in Texas at all for the month of April. Just curious.

Wabbits:

Yes, the NGS is usually behind at least a month, and sometmes longer. The folks there that we know (well, on-line anyway) are very dedicated civil servants, and as is often the case, considerably overworked. Your posts will likely show up in June. Oh, you have given Holograph the initials you use in NGS reports, right?

Wabbits:

Yes, the NGS is usually behind at least a month, and sometmes longer. The folks there that we know (well, on-line anyway) are very dedicated civil servants, and as is often the case, considerably overworked. Your posts will likely show up in June. Oh, you have given Holograph the initials you use in NGS reports, right?

:cool: er, ah, um, he is the benchmaster? :cool: seriously, do I just look him/her/them up in the index and PM him the PIDs or is there a thread?

thanks, I'm so bad with directions, I need pictures :huh:

Wabbits -

The idea is to email holograph with your initials you use when reporting to the NGS (assuming you do). Only then can he match your name (Wabbits) to your initials for his statistics table. Klemmer & TeddyBearMama noticed that you're not in the "Geocacher" column yet.

You don't need to email holograph with your PIDs. He downloads those from the NGS site.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

er, ah, um, he is the benchmaster? seriously, do I just look him/her/them up in the index and PM him the PIDs or is there a thread?

thanks, I'm so bad with directions, I need pictures

If you submit reports to the NGS using the GEOCAC organization code, and you submit logs to Geocaching for the same dates, I can usually figure out which geocacher matches which initials. If you don't report to the NGS, but simply want to see your Geocaching logs shown in the statistics, I can add you to a separate table.

A few poeple submit reports to the NGS using the INDIV organization code, and I have to add them to a separate table, too.

The statistics get updated once a month, near the beginning of the month. Your NGS reports can sometimes take several weeks before they show up in the NGS datasheets, and so sometimes you have to wait for the next month's update before your count catches up.

Have we confused you yet, Wabbit?

OK, here's the SOP:

1) Log 'em on Geocaching

2) Log em on NGS, if / when you are comfortable doing so. It is a serious site, used everyday by professional surveyors, so takes some "warming up to". That's what I assumed you were asking about, but re-reading your post, I see I may have jumped to conclusions. Sorry if I started the confusion.

3) If you DO log with NGS, use the GEOCAC code, and share your initials with holograph (be consistent with their use).

and .... yes, we are extremely lucky to have holograph as our benchmeister (or benchmaster, if you prefer). Maybe Statmeister? Benchstatmeister? Uberbenchstatmesister? All unofficially, of course!

Have we confused you yet, Wabbit?

OK, here's the SOP:

1) Log 'em on Geocaching

2) Log em on NGS, if / when you are comfortable doing so. It is a serious site, used everyday by professional surveyors, so takes some "warming up to". That's what I assumed you were asking about, but re-reading your post, I see I may have jumped to conclusions. Sorry if I started the confusion.

3) If you DO log with NGS, use the GEOCAC code, and share your initials with holograph (be consistent with their use).

and .... yes, we are extremely lucky to have holograph as our benchmeister (or benchmaster, if you prefer). Maybe Statmeister? Benchstatmeister? Uberbenchstatmesister? All unofficially, of course!

I may have to go and seriously look at the NGS site, since I'm moving again before the end of the month and to busy to go out hunting, but there is one I'm gonna go look for before I pull out. :P

I guess I should spent a little more time on the forums. Did not know there was a stats page to look at and was surprised to see my name on it. I can see holograph manage to match my intials to my username, and thank you for the work on the stats page. Will be on here a little more often since I'm still alittle unsure of everything I need to know. Realized after the fact that the one recovery I logged with the NGS could have been done with an e-mail to Deb Brown because I was just trying to report a stamping error between the disc and the data sheet.