Noob with a PDA

LivesWithMonkeys

I just learned about Geocaching and I think this sounds like a great way to get my kids to spend more time in the out doors. I have a Dell Axim X5 running Pocket PC Version 3.0 which I plan on turning into a GPS.

1) Can anyone provide me advice on Compact Flash (CF) GPS cards? I see many on the market, both from Amazon and eBay, and I cannot really decide why one would be better than the others. All seem to use at least 12 channels (some as many as 20), but beyond that, what should I be keeping an eye out for? I am trying to keep this under $100US for now, just in case the kids dont stay interested in it. Hopefully, someone with 1st hand experience making a kit like I am describing can point me in the right direction (pun intended).

In trying to decide on which CF GPS card to get, one thing that popped in my mind is what kind of software it might come with, which leads me to my next question....

2) What mapping/GPS software features should I be looking for? Most GPS/mapping software I see seems to be geared toward the driver, with roads on the map and basically empty space where there is no roads. I would think something with more topography, contour lines, possibly even trails would be more useful for the Geocacher. Also, since you are walking instead of driving, the more detailed the better...or am I wrong on this?

3) Beyond the actual GPS software, what else is key to fun in geocaching? I have seen talk of paperless GC and, using my PDA, I would think I should have no problem with this, right? I see that geocaching.com allows paid members to download cache info right to my PDA, but is that also compatable with all GPS mapping software (so the caches show up as waypoints on the maps). Are there free sites to download cache information? Like I said, I am trying to keep things as low cost as possible while I gauge my kid's interest in the sport.

Edited by LivesWithMonkeys

I would look for a standalone rugged handheld GPS rather than a CF card one for several reasons.

• durability - PDAs are generally not rugged enough to be dropped on a rock while reaching for the cache - (it will happen)
  • the expense of a standalone is often less then the CF card
  • size - the combo you talk about is a bit bulky to carry around staring at

I use an axim x3 for geocaching but I just carry the cache details via paperless and pocket queries - it stays in a well padded pocket except when i am standing still to read the details.

The GPS stays in my hand to help lead me to the site. I can drop on rock and in mud and not worry about it.

I would look at the lowrance units that give you the mapping software for cheap or get something like the Garmin etrex Venture Cx and add the topo maps. Maps are certainly not a requirement for Geocaching and most cachers do not install them on the GPS. I will take a look at online maps before heading out sometimes but that is all.

Welcome to the Forums. :(

I cannot help with the GPSr "stuff." I have a rugged, waterproof, handheld GPSr, a Garmin Vista C. You can get a new, Garmin Venture Cx for $180.00. Depending on how much the card and programs for your PPC cost, you might want to get one of those.

On my Palm M500, I have Cachemate, a very easy-to-use little program that also has a PPC version.

I am a Premium Member, ($3.00/mo.) and to handle all the data from pocket queries, I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). That program can do it all, once you get to the level where you need it.

There is other free software available. You will need something to convert the files you download from this site in the correct format for your GPSr. EasyGPS is very easy to use.

Hope this helps . . . hope it isn't TMI. :cool:

Thanks for the quick replies...and there can never be TMI in my opinion.

As for the CF/PDA vs. handheld GPS, yes I did figure the handheld were more rugged, however, since I never do anything with the PDA right now, it would be nice to put it to good use. I will look for a stronger case with a lanyard to put around the kids necks to help avoid the breakage as long as possible.

For right now, it looks like CF cards can be purchased for around $40-70 dollars. Handhelds seems to go for significantly more than that. The only exception I see is the Lowrance iFinder GO, but the maps seem rather low tech. Perhaps someone can comment on that model for GCing. Also, I was wondering about accuracy between the models. Again, I am talking from a position of no experience, but I would think the more accurate your GPS, the closer you can get to the cache and the easier it would be to find (searching a 100 sq foot area is easier than searching a 5000 sq foot area, right). Of course, if the person who hid the cache had a less accurate GPS it may be a moot point. :cool:

Starbrand - You said that most GC'ers dont use maps in their GPS. As a Noob, that confuses me a bit. Wouldnt you need to see the lay of the land (Contours, trails, etc.) to determine how to get to the waypoint?

Edited by LivesWithMonkeys
I would think the more accurate your GPS, the closer you can get to the cache and the easier it would be to find (searching a 100 sq foot area is easier than searching a 5000 sq foot area, right). Of course, if the person who hid the cache had a less accurate GPS it may be a moot point.

Spot on. If my gps is accurate to 15' and the cache hider's GPS is accurate to 15', then that is still a large area to search. I had only one cache where my GPS brought me right to it. It said I was 4 feet away, and I was stepping on it (a micro that had fallen from a tree).

Starbrand - You said that most GC'ers dont use maps in their GPS. As a Noob, that confuses me a bit. Wouldnt you need to see the lay of the land (Contours, trails, etc.) to determine how to get to the waypoint?

Some more than others. A topo map will help yo determine if a cache is at the base or top of a cliff. But most caches you will want to start with will probably just be in a wooded area. Using maps.google.com, past the coordinates and bam, you can see a satellite view of where the cache is. Then plan your driving, approach from that.

...Starbrand - You said that most GC'ers dont use maps in their GPS. As a Noob, that confuses me a bit. Wouldnt you need to see the lay of the land (Contours, trails, etc.) to determine how to get to the waypoint?

Maybe, if the lot of us were a bit smarter. (see log link below). :cool:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...14-54ac060be0ed

(check a few other logs near mine as well)

Generally I just take a peak at the online maps and then use my general outdoor knowledge to help lead me to the cache position. I follow trails much better these days but sometimes the best adventures are in a little off-trail bushwhacking. Always mark your car before setting out and you can always navigate back to it. I love exploring.

Also - it remains a fact that the majority of caches and cachers are in urban areas where terrain maps are near useless.

Maps can be very helpful, depending on where you cache. For some caches, a quick look at Google Earth might be helpful before setting out on the adventure. :cool:

Sometimes, printed pages of Google Earth images are essential, at least for some of the cache-dense areas around here. Take a peek at all the caches around here. faint.gif

I just started geocaching last november. I am using a Dell Axim X5, WM03. Here is my set up and this works great for me.

Battery: I had purchased about a year or so ago an extended battery for my AXIM, so I got that and two standard batteries (one that came with the unit and an extra one that I asked for for a xmas present one year). I carry the spares with me when I geocache.

GPS receiver-I have a wired GPS receiver that I used for years with tomtom mapping for the road. I always wanted a CF receiver so last Sept. for my Birthday, I asked for one. I actually found one on geeks.com (peridocially still there also) for a Holux Gr271 CF receiver. $45.00. The driver softare comes with it. You can get this for close to this price at other sites, just google. It is sirf III, so it is the latest chipset. I now also use the CF receiver for on the road also, less wires.

from semsons, $75.00

http://www.semsons.com/hogmslcoflgp.html

from buygpsnow.com, $75.00

http://www.buygpsnow.com/holux-gr-271-holu...i-waas-540.aspx

Amazon, strtaing at $54.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...mp;linkCode=asm

This is where I got it from, old link, out of stock currently, $51.00

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GR-271&cpc=SCH

GEOCACHING.COM signed up as a premium annual member with geocaching.com ($30.00/year) so I could download the .gpx files that have the clues and coordinates.

SOFTWARE: also use the beeline GPS sofware ($30.00). This can manage the waypoints by importing the .gpx file. You can also use it to go to the cache. It s a simple, yet powerful all in one software (no actual maps) IMHO.

HERE IS THE LINK: http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/

I purchased an "aquapak classic plus" to protect my setup (waterproof, keeps dust out, and can hang on neck with strap).

HERE IS THE LINK TO A SITE THAT SELLS THEM (i BOUGHT MINE FROM AMAZON)http://greatoutdoors.altrec.com/shop/detail/19808/

I did a lot of searching for reviews and checking different forums before I bought what I did. Like I said this works for me very well and I also wanted to stay on a budget. I also tried to look at products that I could use with a different PDA if I ever got rid of my Axim (I would wnat a rpelacement that had both CF and SD slots, anotehr reason for choosing the CF receiver). Searching for a geat deal is a lot of work but rewarding. Also, you can try out most software using the trial before you decide to buy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, Zacksba!!! I was looking all over for cases that would accomodate the Axim with the CF card in it. Does that cause a problem with the Aquapak?

I just bought a new Dell Extended life Battery and a car charger for the Axim. All for about $25.00 shipped. Hopefully, 2 batteries and the ability to charge one in the car will be enough for a day in the woods.

The Holux was one of the brands I had my eye on, mainly for the low cost. I may just give it a whirl. :cool:

I'll deal with the case later, plus my wife is a whiz with packing foam and Duct Tape. :(

Thanks for the advice, Zacksba!!! I was looking all over for cases that would accomodate the Axim with the CF card in it. Does that cause a problem with the Aquapak?

The case is a perfect fit with a little (not much more than that) room. NO matter where you get it fom, the measurements are posted on the product specs also. I keep mine around my neck with the starp. The drawback being there is the potential to drop it, no shockproof.

Another chepa option is to get the larger thicker ziplock bags. again, not shockproof, but it would keep the until dry and dustfree.

also,as an fyi, when I am not geocaching withthe aquapack, I keep my axim in a rhinoskin metal case. this allows me to keep the axim protected AND keepether a cf wifi or gps receiver in the slot at the same time

I will give my 2 cents worth. I use a PDA/GPS combo and it works great. If your Axim has WM2003 try Backcountry Navigator software. For thirty bucks you get all the topo maps of the US you can download for free. The software also handles geocaching files just fine. Check it out at www.backcountrynavigator.com

Edited by rlridgeway

I will give my 2 cents worth. I use a PDA/GPS combo and it works great. If your Axim has WM2003 try Backcountry Navigator software. For thirty bucks you get all the topo maps of the US you can download for free. The software also handles geocaching files just fine. Check it out at www.backcountrynavigator.com

Here is where I am getting stuck. Im not sure what version OS I have but my Axim calls it Pockey PC Version 3.0.11171 (Build 11178). It doesn't say anything about Windows Mobile at all. So, I guess the first question is, how do I get a Windows Mobile upgrade for my Axim?

Second, I must figure out how far can I upgrade my Axim? I do not believe I can use 05.

I started out yesterday trying to find a way to view Google Earth Maps offline on my PDA. I came upon this software called Mobile GMaps (here) which seems to do just that and it is free, but requires Java on my PDA. From articles I have been reading (like here ), I would need to install some version of Java onto my PDA. Answers all point to something called IBM J9 as the Java answer, but when I try to track down this "J9" thing, all links lead to this other IBM product called "WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment" (here). All versions I see of this junk requires Windows Mobile 5.0 so I think I may need an older version of J9. I downloaded this stuff and installed it on my laptop, but there does not seem to be any J( anything for me to install on my PDA.

I swear, this is the most confusing junk I have ever seen. And let me add, I am a computer network engineer for a living and have been using PCs for almost 30 years. I am no techie newbie. Its like they make this as complicated as possible on purpose.

According to this site, your pocket pc version is 2002:

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/versions.htm

I had the same axim and 2002 myself. I got a really cheap upgrade on ebay (to 2003, my understanding they only make a single upgrade for these units 2002-2003 in this case?)......who knows might be a free way out there. I just downloaded something for it. It was a bit complicated but im sure would be simple with your background.

I also sugest Backcountry Navigator. It has a free trial, it is pretty caching friendly, and you can download topo and arial maps for just about the entire country. It is upgraded all the time as well.

Edited by emkat

I swear, this is the most confusing junk I have ever seen. And let me add, I am a computer network engineer for a living and have been using PCs for almost 30 years. I am no techie newbie. Its like they make this as complicated as possible on purpose.

There is a little bit of a learning curve using a PDA.

Check out Aximsite

An absolutely great site devoted to Dell Axims. This site also has an excellent section on GPS.

You should be able to get most of questions answered there.

Edited by rlridgeway

Here is where I am getting stuck. Im not sure what version OS I have but my Axim calls it Pockey PC Version 3.0.11171 (Build 11178). It doesn't say anything about Windows Mobile at all. So, I guess the first question is, how do I get a Windows Mobile upgrade for my Axim?

My Axim X5 adavanced (64mb 400 hhz version) in windows mobile 2003 (aka Pocket pc 2003).

I have rom version A05, Os version 4.20.1081 (build 13100)

I think this is the highest you can go.

There are no upgraded for WM2003se and wm 2005.

You can check the dell website for rom upgrades and also check aximsite. I think form visitng aximiste almost daily, dell named their roms screwy names, but you will gt the axoim help you need form aximsite. Good luck.

3 bucks on eBay got my PDA upgraded to 2003

Thanks also for the link to the the Axim site. I will check it out.

Until I get a CF GPS, I am using a borrowed eTrex Legend which seems to work OK (Just a bit of leaf cover and it seems to lose its mind, and when I get within 30-50 ft of ground zero, I also think it gets crazy. Hopefully, not all GPSes are this flaky)

I am working on setting up the PDA for paperless caching, but Im not there yet. How do I get KML and or GPX files out of this site?