Who's looking at your GC profile?

WeatherednBoston

Do people check out your GC profile? Sure they do!

Have you ever wondered who was looking at your GC profile?

Months ago I happened to check out the source code on someones profile to see how they got the maps on there....during this time I was stunned to see they actually had a "tracker" secretly embedded in the code of thier page.

This striked my curiosity enough to check it out. So I installed the code on my GC profile and was suprised to see people actually were looking at my profile! :cool:

While it doesnt give you names of the cachers that are looking at your profile...it does tell you the city, town and state they are from...what time...stuff like that. It's sometimes very easy to tell who has been looking just by that information alone.

I've had visits from Australia, London, Canada..heck even a place called Isle of Man (wish I lived on an isle of men lol)

Anyhow I have told a few locals about this and they all have added this neat code to their profile. I thought I would share it with the masses now that I have tested it out and find it interesting enough to share.

It's free! www.statcounter.com

If im not allowed to post the link for some reason you could always check the source code on my profile...its down on the very bottom of my source code.

whoswatching.jpg

I've had visits from Australia, London, Canada..heck even a place called Isle of Man (wish I lived on an isle of men lol)

Well, it wasn't me - and I'd like to point out that there are plenty of women on the Isle of Man (perhaps they all came here for the same reason!).

HH

You also have to account for the times that you visit your own geocaching profile. Everytime you click on it, it counts it as a hit for the counter.

I had a problem with that at first but then realized they allow you to create what is called a "Blocking Cookie" which blocks out your computer from the stat count.

I got another view from the Isle of Man :cool:

Now I know whos been looking from Vermont lol I wish I could use the statcounter on my myspace blog but myspace has blocked the code. I guess they dont like statcounter.

Now I know whos been looking from Vermont lol

Actually it would be from Germany since OIF net(The cheapest internet system availible to one user here in Iraq) uses providers through there.It's redicrected me to myspace duestchland enought times to know.Quite annoying to see HALLO! VTMTNMAN everytime you log in.Or all of my ads in German.

And it was only once. :cool:

Fairly simple to use and set up. I used statcounter for a while on my profile but I got rid of it, it was fun but I lost any interest. I also had it on my cache listings but I took them off all but 1. It is neat to see that people are looking, I am fairly sure I have checked out your profile at least once.

Do people check out your GC profile? Sure they do!

Have you ever wondered who was looking at your GC profile?

Months ago I happened to check out the source code on someones profile to see how they got the maps on there....during this time I was stunned to see they actually had a "tracker" secretly embedded in the code of thier page.

This striked my curiosity enough to check it out. So I installed the code on my GC profile and was suprised to see people actually were looking at my profile! :shocked:

While it doesnt give you names of the cachers that are looking at your profile...it does tell you the city, town and state they are from...what time...stuff like that. It's sometimes very easy to tell who has been looking just by that information alone.

Anyhow I have told a few locals about this and they all have added this neat code to their profile. I thought I would share it with the masses now that I have tested it out and find it interesting enough to share.

It's free! www.statcounter.com

If im not allowed to post the link for some reason you could always check the source code on my profile...its down on the very bottom of my source code.

whoswatching.jpg

Hmmmmmmm I wonder how long you will be allowed to continue this practice considering that the Terms of Use prohibit the collecting of information.

4. Use of Publishing Tools and Forums

The Groundspeak Forums, accessible through the “Discuss Geocaching” link in the Site’s navigation bar as well as through other links, are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, post in the Groundspeak Forums area.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(k) Collect or store personal data about other Site users.

So I guess the question is, now that you told us you do this, how long till you turn it off?

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(k) Collect or store personal data about other Site users.

So I guess the question is, now that you told us you do this, how long till you turn it off?

then what exactly is the personal part of the collected data?

One of the hazards of responding in the forums is sometimes I am wrong. The memory isn't as good as it once was. My reference to the Terms of Use were incorrect. Groundspeak allows these types of counters as long as the use of the data is not malicious. So please disregard my comments above as they are incorrect. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

I used to use this but one day it just quit working. May have to attempt to re-configure it, I liked having an idea who was looking, even if not always accurate.

One thing, Statcounter gives you a tracking cookie that the malware scanners don't like.

I finally decided to play with our profile and i cant get this to work. Since the upgrade does it strip this from your html profile?

Anyone? I added the code to my HTML for the profile and the final result has part of the stat code stripped. Did i do something wrong?

I finally decided to play with our profile and i cant get this to work. Since the upgrade does it strip this from your html profile?

Anyone? I added the code to my HTML for the profile and the final result has part of the stat code stripped. Did i do something wrong?

Knight 2000, I like your avatar and tagline. It makes me behave myself.

I don't care who looks at my profile. That's what it's there for. If I used one of those trackers it would just get me all paranoid.

LOL. Yeah for the most part i agree. My basic thought was because my wife and I just taught about 100 3rd graders a gc class last week and we sent home caching info brochures. I was hoping i could get an idea of how many parents peeked at the site and maybe our info.

Although i think i am a little late... LOL. :)