Safety in the Cape

bear&fox

It's been covered before, so apologies for opening up the can of worms again.

G (from GS&Dogs) and I (Bear) walked up to replace the Proteas and Podocarpii cache yesterday. We parted with many pieces of silver at the gate and strolled across the lawns to the cache site. When I read the reports that the cache had disappeared I was puzzled: it's far enough from the usual prying eyes and seems a safe enough hide. Also most of the folks that frequent the area will hopefully leave the container as found of discovered by mistake, right? Wrong.

The cache was covered by numerous stones. And every one of these stones had been re-fashioned into a ring around a fireplace. The flat area next to the large rock is now a bed. It has been used recently. To leave the brand-new cache here would mean having it re-muggled within days or, worse, placing a geocacher at risk. So we went searching for a safer location.

As luck would have it we found a super spot just meters away from the relative safety of a massive lawn and a busy pathway. But this site too shows signs of habitation. These are no picnic sites, but the overnight hovels of what I can only suspect are the characters that attack the hikers. To say I was dejected is an understatement. The media gives us the impression that the powers that be are doing their best to capture these criminals. Really? On a short stroll I found two overnighting spots. One of them RIGHT next to the 'tame' part of Kirstenbosch.

On the way out I learned that they no longer have security patrols. And the entry fee is going up.

Now that I find disappointing.

Edited by bear&fox

A week ago our little geo family went for a Sunday walk in Cecilia Forest (nice shade for the little guy in that section of the mountain). We were really enjoying ourselves as we walked up the dirt road with a hiking book in hand hoping to find the Cecilia Waterfall that is mentioned in it (we were without GPS :( just enjoying nature, not addicted geocachers!). As we were walking a family came past and noticed I was carrying Geo-P, so he stopped us. He mentioned that there have been a few muggings earlier that afternoon just up the trail and he suggested we not take our son further into the forest. :cool:

We turned back and was heading towards the car in disappointment about the state of affairs. Just then a couple with a big dog came up and we warned them also about the muggings. After a little discussion we decided to join them on their walk and use their dog as protection. Also the whole safety in numbers thing. Well we walked along, entered Kirstenbosch from the contour path, let Geo-P feel the plants in the gardens and walked back out and to the car park on Rhodes Drive. No muggers, but we did see 2 TMNP rangers in vehicles driving the dirt roads, probably looking for the muggers.

I wasn't going to mention this story to anyone because Cape Town is a really great place to live and geocache in. I have always felt safe on the mountain, especially in high traffic areas like the forests. But there seems to be a frequency that is disturbing about the tales of crime on the mountain. It is disappointing that one has to worry more about some dude w/ a knife or gun than a cape cobra, scorpion, or baboon.

We are trying to stay longer in Cape Town, but issues like this does make one wonder whether it is worth all the fear and hassle. I don't know, we will see what the future holds for us, but regarding the security around this country, something really needs to change. I just don't know or see how it will. :(

my .02

I have also been reluctant to say anything about the issue. I have bitten my tongue many times in the previous thread.

What got me this time is the blatant evidence in close proximity of a major tourist attraction. And that their socalled security is unable to discover these simple breaches. South Africa generates more foreign income from tourism than it does from mining activities. Biting the hand that feeds it? For sure.

What I would like to know is how much worse this will get before somebody up there - anybody - admits that this is not just a silly perception but a major threat.

We simply steer clear of many of these hiking routes now. As is the case for many others. So much for the natural splendour our country has to offer.

A week ago our little geo family went for a Sunday walk in Cecilia Forest (nice shade for the little guy in that section of the mountain). We were really enjoying ourselves as we walked up the dirt road with a hiking book in hand hoping to find the Cecilia Waterfall that is mentioned in it

Almost placed a cache there in the CT days... will be a bit of a sweat getting the Geo-P up there :unsure: