If you're just starting out...would you get a regular GPS?...

zaknaps

My kids and I really want to start geocaching...I'm afraid I don't know enough about this to make a good decision. I'm upgrading my phone anyway in a week or two, so that would be good, but maybe that's too complicated?

Any help would be great. ;) Thanks so much!

...Cathy

A regular GPS is waterproof and sturdier than a cell phone. To me, that's a huge advantage.

Geocaching may involve going out in the rain and on muddy trails. I've seen cellphones stop working because they received a few drops of rain. If I drop my GPS in mud, I can just rinse it in the nearest puddle of water and keep on caching ;) .

I agree.

I'll put it this way: my phone can be used as a gps...it however it only used for reading the e-books I get mailed to me for info about the caches. I use a dedicated GPS. It's just much sturdier and has some functions you don't get (like accuracy rating) from a cell phone.

I'll put it this way: my phone can be used as a gps...it however it only used for reading the e-books I get mailed to me for info about the caches. I use a dedicated GPS. It's just much sturdier and has some functions you don't get (like accuracy rating) from a cell phone.

A regular GPS. In the long run, you will be thankfull you have it. You are not going to want to use the cell phone on the harder caches.......

My kids and I really want to start geocaching...I'm afraid I don't know enough about this to make a good decision. I'm upgrading my phone anyway in a week or two, so that would be good, but maybe that's too complicated?

Any help would be great. :blink: Thanks so much!

...Cathy

I've dropped my cell phone in the creek at least twice while caching. They didn't survive. The GPS though keeps on ticking.

I'd get a GPS for caching. Though that Nokia N95 looks like a sweet phone (ignoring the battery life...)

Edited by Renegade Knight