City Nav unlock question.

Bought CV 8 from online GPS source. Received wrapped DVD, user manual, and Mapping Unlock Certificate. These were not in what I assume would normally be in a garmin box.

In reading the directions it states to enter my 25 digit code from the yellow paper that also inludes a serial number and 7 digit registration code. I don't have this.

The certificate I did receive has an 8 digit alphanumeric number. The manual seems to refer to this as a Coupon Code.

So.... Do I have a problem, can I obtain full benefit from this software?

Thanks ahead of time,

Bob

Thanks guys. Yea, was going to contact them, but since it is after hours and I am a little worried about it, thought I may get some quick answers from here from those who have done it.

Unfortunately, I am still waiting for Amazon's slow shipping to bring me my new 60Cx, so dont have that serial number yet. Ordered the map and other accessories two days after ordering the GPS and got the accessories already.

Hi Bob -- I also purchased CV8 this past weekend and somehow managed to get it installed, but it wasn't fun and not very successful.

Like the last poster stated, you will need the GPS serial number and the 8 character coupon. I had my GPS device connected to the PC so the serial number was automatically captured. IMHO, the 8-char coupon is simply used to register your GPSr and create an account. After doing that, the actual 25-character unlock code will be provided.

I got through all of that without calling Garmin, but had to call them for the "next chapter". Even though unlocked, my zoomed in maps show very little detail. The only thing that CN improved over the base map was that now local streets are showing and occasionally display street name, but the display is like an ancient low-res VGA monitor and looks nothing like the screen shots on the GPS box.

As additional testament to the great Garmin Tech Support group, I was talking to a live person (based in Kansas) with 3 minutes of making a call. She was very hardware-knowledgeable and we spent almost an hour troubleshooting with no luck. She even called senior tech resources into the call. Eventually they transferred me to the software department (again with no phone hold time) and I worked with another well-trained woman. We didn't resolve the issue on the phone, but I did leave with an action plan that was going to take some time. I am now midway through reformatting my GPS memory card, installing the software on a newer computer, and then will test with fewer waypoints and smaller maps. Unfortunately, at this point, I've now lost both the CN and basemap from the unit and only have the standard marine map. I am not sure how this is going to end up, but I have full confidence in Garmin's support and availability.

The worst part is that there are several local caches calling my name this week! :cool: I work from home fulltime and have discovered that I like hunting during the week when the parks and woods are less crowded. Anyway, I'll come back and post after I get it all resolved and best of luck to you on an easy installation yourself.

Clair

Hi Bob -- I also purchased CV8 this past weekend and somehow managed to get it installed, but it wasn't fun and not very successful.

Like the last poster stated, you will need the GPS serial number and the 8 character coupon. I had my GPS device connected to the PC so the serial number was automatically captured. IMHO, the 8-char coupon is simply used to register your GPSr and create an account. After doing that, the actual 25-character unlock code will be provided.

I got through all of that without calling Garmin, but had to call them for the "next chapter". Even though unlocked, my zoomed in maps show very little detail. The only thing that CN improved over the base map was that now local streets are showing and occasionally display street name, but the display is like an ancient low-res VGA monitor and looks nothing like the screen shots on the GPS box.

As additional testament to the great Garmin Tech Support group, I was talking to a live person (based in Kansas) with 3 minutes of making a call. She was very hardware-knowledgeable and we spent almost an hour troubleshooting with no luck. She even called senior tech resources into the call. Eventually they transferred me to the software department (again with no phone hold time) and I worked with another well-trained woman. We didn't resolve the issue on the phone, but I did leave with an action plan that was going to take some time. I am now midway through reformatting my GPS memory card, installing the software on a newer computer, and then will test with fewer waypoints and smaller maps. Unfortunately, at this point, I've now lost both the CN and basemap from the unit and only have the standard marine map. I am not sure how this is going to end up, but I have full confidence in Garmin's support and availability.

The worst part is that there are several local caches calling my name this week! :cool: I work from home fulltime and have discovered that I like hunting during the week when the parks and woods are less crowded. Anyway, I'll come back and post after I get it all resolved and best of luck to you on an easy installation yourself.

Clair

Wow Clair, not sure I have heard of anyone having that much trouble. Hopefully you have a very unigue situation that's beyond normal.....I am sure Garmin wouldn't be the company it is if all went like that.

Anyway, thanks for the info, and I hope you get up and running soon!

Bob

I'm sorry if I gave any indication that I was disappointed in Garmin from my previous post, as that was absolutely the opposite from what I intended. I researched for a year before I bought my Garmin and know without a doubt that I made the right purchase.

With a little more help from Garmin today, my problems were resolved by hard-resetting my 76CSx, reformatting my memory card, and changing some viewing settings. I was eventually given the direct phone line to a Tier 2 Support person because they had never seen my particular problems before. I've worked in software design and support since 1979, so had empathy, but the most important piece of this story is that I reached a Garmin employee within five minutes of calling on THREE different phone calls, and had someone walk me through every step of this solution. I was never left on hold, always treated with complete respect, and worked with people that liked their jobs and loved their company. .

I hope no one here has the same problems with City Navigator installation, but if so, hopefully my experience will help.

If I ever get by East Kansas, I'm going to stop by and tell Garmin Support "thanks", but in the meantime, I am off happily hunting with a perfectly working 76CSx, and grateful knowing there is a great company behind it.

Cheers

Clair

10-4 - over and out

I just got off the phone with Garmin. Very nice folks. However, it seems that as of May first, things, at least as I understood them, have changed a bit. First, when you purchase CN, you are purchasing application to only one GPS, not two as was the situation before. Second, if you already own CN and were planning to use that second unlock for another GPS down the road, you are now out of luck. I had to pay $117 for one unlock code. They were very decent and let me have my second code, as I purchased the software quite recently. Now I have three well-mapped GPSs, but I expected to have a fourth code waiting in the wings. Just thought some of you might be impacted by this, too.

:D FYI If you have CitySelect 6/7 and go to the garmin site to unlock maps or browse you may be told you are eligible for an update to CN 8 dvd, this seems like a great idea. I ordered the update, received the dvd, installed it(1.68gb), went to unlock map data and THEN was informed it would be 75.00 :( . Well I really didn't need the latest map data, so I opted out of this update, then I found that my mapsource had been updated to a newer version, that my harddrive was low on space, that the GPS tab in mapsource was gone :blink: . O K so to sum up this rant newer isn't allways a good thing, I was able to remove CN8 and reload CS7 so all is well

:D:D

I received my CN 8 maps as a free update from my City Select maps. :P

I sure hope my CN is valid for a second GPSr unit, although I don't know when I will upgrade to a newer GPSr unit. My Vista C does everything I need it to do now.

EDIT to add this from the Garmin page

If you own multiple unlock compatible Garmin GPS units and have unlocked maps to one, you are generally allowed to unlock the same maps to one other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional charge. (See our Unlock FAQ page for further details.) HOWEVER, this is NOT applicable to models which come with detailed maps pre-loaded and without CD or DVD-ROM's in the packages.

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than two Garmin GPS units, you will need to purchase another code for each unit.

Edited by Miragee

I received my CN 8 maps as a free update from my City Select maps. :P

I sure hope my CN is valid for a second GPSr unit, although I don't know when I will upgrade to a newer GPSr unit. My Vista C does everything I need it to do now.

If you own multiple unlock compatible Garmin GPS units and have unlocked maps to one, you are generally allowed to unlock the same maps to one other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional charge. (See our Unlock FAQ page for further details.) HOWEVER, this is NOT applicable to models which come with detailed maps pre-loaded and without CD or DVD-ROM's in the packages.

If you would like to obtain additional regions or utilize more than two Garmin GPS units, you will need to purchase another code for each unit.

From Garmin, today.

Thank you for contacting Garmin.

It is indeed the case the free second unit unlock for the road products is no longer offered. I wish I could say differently. The only exception to this change that will remain is with the BlueChart CD data.

That makes sense. I have been somewhat surprised to learn that people who bought a car GPSr were able to get the DVD and another unlock code for a handheld GPSr.

I am one of those lucky ones. I got a StreetPilot C320 back in November that came with CityNav NT 8 on DVD. The DVD even says it's for the C320. When you install the software you even see C320.

Just before the end of April I used the online unlock thing in Mapsource and I was able to install maps on my new Venture Cx.

I honestly didn't think Garmin would unlock the software that came with my car nav for my handheld unit especially when C320 is all over the printed software and DVD.

And looks like I got in just under the free 2nd unlock code.

Edited by Tersanyus

I received my CN 8 maps as a free update from my City Select maps. :huh:

From Garmin, today.

Thank you for contacting Garmin.

It is indeed the case the free second unit unlock for the road products is no longer offered. I wish I could say differently. The only exception to this change that will remain is with the BlueChart CD data.

That sounds like it only applies to road products and also only to new purchases. It sounds like they intend to honor the second unlock codes sold with previous versions/units....