What is Garmin's "geocaching navigation mode"

We're looking at purchasing a new GPS because our eTrex Legend, having served us faithfully and accurately, is getting a little buggy (probably because we dropped it too many times).

I'm looking at the Garmin GPSMap 60 and see from the write-up that it has a special geocaching navigation mode.

Having done some searches, I can't find any info as to what this actually is.

Can anyone help?

The navigation mode is activated when you hit "GOTO" and the icon is the treasure box (you can change it to any icon you like). In this mode, you are sent to the compass page with the needle pointing you to the cache. On the bottom of this screen are three options:

FOUND - if you find the cache you select this option whereupon the icon is automatically changed to an open treasure box (you can change this setting also); the find gets indexed in your calendar; and you are given the option to find the next closest cache.

NOTE - If you downloaded a hint or other comment, you can click this option for a quick peek at the note, then click back. Notes (up to 30 characters) can be included with any waypoint but you need to turn the pages for the non-treasure box icons.

STOP - stops navigating.

The GPS will direct you to the map page on all other icons not bearing the treasure box.

The navigation mode is activated when you hit "GOTO" and the icon is the treasure box (you can change it to any icon you like). In this mode, you are sent to the compass page with the needle pointing you to the cache. On the bottom of this screen are three options:

FOUND - if you find the cache you select this option whereupon the icon is automatically changed to an open treasure box (you can change this setting also); the find gets indexed in your calendar; and you are given the option to find the next closest cache.

NOTE - If you downloaded a hint or other comment, you can click this option for a quick peek at the note, then click back. Notes (up to 30 characters) can be included with any waypoint but you need to turn the pages for the non-treasure box icons.

STOP - stops navigating.

The GPS will direct you to the map page on all other icons not bearing the treasure box.

STOP - stops navigating.

Hey Chuy!

You seem pretty knowlegeable about the Garmin GPSMAP 60Cs. I just got a GPSMAP 60Csx and used it yesterday for the first time. For some reason I don't have the three options. Found - Note - Stop. I was unable to mark each cache as found in order to direct me to the next closest cache. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

Yellow Team

Are you downloading the .loc files or are you creating Pocket Queries to get the .gpx files. Since you are a Premium Member, you can get the .gpx files directly from each cache page, and those files should be sent to your GPSr with the Treasure Chest icon.

If you create the waypoint by entering the coordinates by hand, you have to give the waypoint the Geocaching Treasure Chest icon for it to behave like it is supposed to. If it has any other icon, it won't give you the Found, Note, Stop options.

These options will not show up on the compass page unless you use a direct route. If you routed along the roads to the vicinity of the cache, then you have to recaluclate the route, using a direct one, to make these extra buttons show up on the screen.

So which settings do I need to change?

Thanks!

These options will not show up on the compass page unless you use a direct route. If you routed along the roads to the vicinity of the cache, then you have to recaluclate the route, using a direct one, to make these extra buttons show up on the screen.

So which settings do I need to change?

Thanks!

I changed the mode and found the buttons! Thanks!!! Which mode do you use when caching? It is really nice to follow the road when in unfamiliar territory but marking found and moving to the next closest cache is really nice too. Any suggestion? We the most basic Garmin previously so we are learning alot!

Thanks Again!

You can use "Follow Road" to get to the cache location, but then you need to do another "Find" and "Off Road" to get the arrow and an accurate location to the cache.

Recently I used "Follow Road" to get to a cache and the distance said I was at GZ. I looked in these thorny bushes mentioned by others in their DNF logs on my Palm. I finally did another Find/Off Road, and the GPSr said the cache ws 180 feet away. I found it easily there, with no thorny bushes to paw through.

It was an interesting "lesson" in auto-navigation. I think the previous GZ was actually where the GPSr wanted me to turn, if there had been a road there.

Edited by Miragee

You can use "Follow Road" to get to the cache location, but then you need to do another "Find" and "Off Road" to get the arrow and an accurate location to the cache.

Recently I used "Follow Road" to get to a cache and the distance said I was at GZ. I looked in these thorny bushes mentioned by others in their DNF logs on my Palm. I finally did another Find/Off Road, and the GPSr said the cache ws 180 feet away. I found it easily there, with no thorny bushes to paw through.

It was an interesting "lesson" in auto-navigation. I think the previous GZ was actually where the GPSr wanted me to turn, if there had been a road there.

That explains the day we had yesterday! I was so frustrated with the GPS but it was the nut behind the controls. LOL I think I need a GPSMAP 60CSx for Dummies book.

Thanks!!!

:laughing: Thank you! Thank you! I located my first chache and could not mark it found because the options were not showing. I thought I had a bad unit. You would think they would mention this in the manual. You folks are the greatest!

Andy