Newbie Question Please Help

As some of you will know I am new to posting and to finding as for the long delay in joining and starting work that is on another thread on here somewhere ( I 'm sure some techo geek can add the link) anyway to the question - I have been trawling these boards for ages and ages and found lots of good stuff, The bit I am now interested in is I remember reading somewhere how to download all of the caches in the UK I think it had to be done over several days!! well now that I have my shiny new 60CS I would of course like to do just that so can someone please either tell me how its done or point me to the thread I found all that time ago. and as an additional point if I find a useful thread can I bookmark/save it for later reference? Big thanks to all you veterans out there that help dummies like me!!

Using GSAK does ring a bell but what is the process? arent there restictions on pocket quiries, sorry if this is a dumb question but I know I read a complete tutorial somewhwere. BTW I do travel around the country quite a lot or at least I will once I am fit for work again including NI Forgot to mention I do have GSAK

Edited by B1gbear

Mark and Lynn had a good guide to the basics of getting PQs set up to get the whole of the UK.

Unfortunately, their website seems to be down at the moment.

GeocacheUK also provides a base file of UK caches, with very little detail. Unfortunately, the GeocacheUK site is also currently offline.

Other people probably have put together guides as well. mongoose was doing some if I remember?

If you are thinking of downloading ALL caches to your GPS, I think you will find that you unit will be limited to a certain number of waypoints - 500 with the CS I believe.

Without the extra memor card you have with the 'x' model, I don't think you'll be able to do it.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I am now starting to think to myself am I getting confused with paperless caching and downloading all to the PDA? Does that or would that make more sense?

Paperless caching is essentially downloading all the details to a PDA.

Downloading to a PDA would make more sense. As sensei noted, GPSes are limited by the number of caches they can hold.

very briefly, in case you are getting confused...

You can have the entire UK cache list on a home PC - GSAK is the database of choice for this. To do this, you need pocket queries (e-mails with caches attached) (see Mark and Lynn's guide) to keep your database up to date. If you want the whole UK, you may run into problems as I believe we now have too many caches in the UK to download in one week.

Once you have this, use GSAK to download a SELECTION of caches to a PDA and/or GPS. As others have said - most GPSrs can store 500-1000 waypoints.

If you put the cache DETAILS on a PDA, this is paperless caching. You don't have to do this, GSAK can print paper pages for you if you like!

Hope that summarises it for you!

Dave