Mapsend Topo and Garmin GPS

I thought in another post of mine we started a little off topic about this and well i'm still kind of unclear so i decided to make its own topic.

Now Mapsend Topo is from magellan and i really like using this software specially since i paid a lot for it. When i get my Garmin Vista Cx will I be able to use that topo like i did with my Sportrak color gps?

Or will I have to go out and buy the garmin topo software?

What topo software do you guys use that works with the Vista Cx or equvelant GPS.

I currently use MS Streets & Trips, Mapsend Topo USA

Then of course Gsak

I use streets and trips to plan out a route *trip*.

I use topo to cut out a specific area and upload it to my magellan.

It would be nice if i can continue to use this software that i use now.

I have seen some screenshots of the garmin topo program and it scares me think its really that bad. Unless i saw some bad pictures. I hate to spend another 100+ dollars on more topo software just for a few areas.

Thanks Guys (again)

I don't know of any way to manipulate any Mapsend data so that it can be used on a Garmin GPS. Visually, I think that Garmin Mapsource Topo is better than Magellan Mapsend Topo. Or perhaps it could be a better display on the Garmin GPS. I am assuming that is what you meant when you said that it scares you that it's really that bad.

I don't know of any way to manipulate any Mapsend data so that it can be used on a Garmin GPS. Visually, I think that Garmin Mapsource Topo is better than Magellan Mapsend Topo. Or perhaps it could be a better display on the Garmin GPS. I am assuming that is what you meant when you said that it scares you that it's really that bad.

;) yea it looked pretty bland but i did some more digging and the icons and such dont seem to be too entirely different. Just sucks if i have to actually spend another 100 bucks on another topo program just to load some darn maps.

PM me.

;) yea it looked pretty bland but i did some more digging and the icons and such dont seem to be too entirely different. Just sucks if i have to actually spend another 100 bucks on another topo program just to load some darn maps.

Sorry but the software on each unit is propriatary. I use Mapsource Topo for off road and I use City Navigator for auto routing. This gives me the best of both worlds. I auto route to my parking spot and then if it involves a hike I switch over to the topo maps to check out the trails.

Sorry but the software on each unit is propriatary. I use Mapsource Topo for off road and I use City Navigator for auto routing. This gives me the best of both worlds. I auto route to my parking spot and then if it involves a hike I switch over to the topo maps to check out the trails.

i have a question about that. I hear if you want streets you have to go to the streets screen if you want offroad you have to switch to another offroad screen. So if i have a cach i am going to and i go from street to offroad will the cache stay exactly where its at so it only switches the map itself?

You can use it. Have to use the GPSbabel program. I have both a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx and a Magellan XL. Have the MapSourse (garmin) and MapSend (Mag.) and for this summers vacation so far I have about 400 miles worth of trails for riding the ATV on. Magellan doesn't let you build a track like the Garmin program does so I built the track on Garmin program and sent it to the Magellan program using Babel. Learned about this on the ATV site I go to.

The Garmin Mapsource Topo maps do not have an Unlock code, so you can purchase them for a better price on eBay. The City Navigator maps do have Unlock codes, so you have to purchase them new. The best deals on the maps can be found in a combination deal with a beanbag automount, and cigarette lighter adapter.

To switch from the CN maps to Topo you just hit the Menu button when you are on the map page. From there, you need to be on the selection that shows which maps you have, then you hit Menu again, and select Topo.

When you get back to the highway, and ask your GPSr to navigate, if you forget to change back to CN, you will get very odd results, or the GPSr will get confused, depending on how far away from a basemap highway you are. I learned that from experience . . . :unsure::blink:;)