Things that remind you of coins

Kealia

Took a day to enjoy a drive up the California coastline this past weekend and do some leisurely caching, sight-seeing and picnicking.

Along the way, I saw some things (and took pics) that reminded me of some coins that I've seen. Now I'm bo no means obsessed like some in here are, but these jumped out at me nonetheless and I thought I'd open a thread for others to share as well.

Here goes:

Took this pic of some poppies and it made me think of the GBA Spring coin we did last year:

poppiessn3.jpg

Coin:

img1740wincewh5.jpg

Saw this on a wall in a shop:

aztecaa8.jpg

Crake's coin:

TrackingTime_Hold.jpg

Lighthouse at Pigeon Point:

lighthousekc9.jpg

Santa Cruz Geocachers Coin:

Mauison_trade_scerror_Front300.jpg

Finally, I saw this coin in the gift shop at the lighthouse so we bought one and will make it into a TB to visit other lighthouses:

ppfrontol5.jpg

ppbackpk4.jpg

We've used 2 of CRAKE's coins in our school lessons.

Tracking Time when studying ancient calendars in math.

The Astrolabe when studying the Portuguese & Prince Henry's School of Exploration.

It was great to have the coins to use for kinesthetic learning and to show how some designs and ideas have endured over the ages.

I'm sure now that you have mentioned it we will see examples everywhere - besides the obvious of the ammo cans and film canisters. ;) Another reason to take pics while out & about. :D

Took a day to enjoy a drive up the California coastline this past weekend and do some leisurely caching, sight-seeing and picnicking.

Along the way, I saw some things (and took pics) that reminded me of some coins that I've seen. Now I'm bo no means obsessed like some in here are, but these jumped out at me nonetheless and I thought I'd open a thread for others to share as well.

Here goes:

Took this pic of some poppies and it made me think of the GBA Spring coin we did last year:

poppiessn3.jpg

what are the dimensions of the original of that picture? It would make an awesome wallpaper, and a nice print I think.

what are the dimensions of the original of that picture? It would make an awesome wallpaper, and a nice print I think.

Drop me an email if you want the original pic. It's on the home PC right now so I can't give you the dimensions, but it will work just fine as wallpaper as I've used previous pics from the same camera before.

I love this glimpse behind the mask of the "k" this forum is usually treated to. :(

I was thinking the same myself...there just may be some glimmer of happiness in there yet :(

Bah! :cool:

LOL - No problem FH. FWIW - I'm male.

Wow, lots of requests for the iamge - didn't realize it was that well-liked. I'l ltry to get to the emails tonight (i was offline last night).

On topic, though - nobody else has come across anything recently that they took a pic of that reminds them of coins?

Maybe I'm more obsessed than I thought.... :shocked:

we were out the other day and found a "Guardian of the Cache" - really surprised when we got back and found this posting. Our guardian was a little less intimidating than the ones depicted on the coin. The sheep un question calmly stood up, wandered along the ledge only about 10 feet away where he remained watching us while we retreived the cache, signed the log and put it back. Then he wandered back and sat on the cache and went back to sleep !!

We have a problem - this sheep is sat right on top of where we need to search

WeHaveAProblem.JPG

Now moved off but watching everything we do

OneIntriguedSheep.JPG

On the way back

WanderingBack.JPG

Settled in again

SettlingBack.JPG

It was the funniest find ever. And yes the sheep was lying right on top of the cache.

Sue

Snapped this pic today with my camera phone that reminded me of LandSharkz:

photo0004ld2.jpg

IMG_3240.JPG

As for the images above:

1) What coin does the sheep remind you of?

2) The one with the dog is definitely reminiscent of the Canine Coin v3 with the dog and ammo box....but what about the spider?

edit: typo

Edited by kealia

ok...one more and I'm done tonight LOL

Today I was playing scrabble with my two boys....and while contemplating my next move I was looking at my son's shirt and thought...hey!!!

Here are both my sons wearing matching shirts at the beach on vacation...trying to get a guy...painted in silver....who had a sign that said he would pay you if you could make him talk....so we tried our hardest while he stood there motionless...well as we walked away he smiled....

ef5ac45d-6d8e-4f5e-8008-83918e6de32d.jpg

closer up of that shirt if you can't see it good

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/ac4949...2f268c6b6fd.jpg

It reminds me of a friend of mine's new coin....hmmm.....LOL

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/8010d9...8ce818e0d02.jpg

And if you don't think it looks alike...then make one...here's the artwork...don't forget me after you make it :anitongue:

OK, this is a gimme one!!

How could "this" not remind you of a coin :anitongue:

shorter_medallion.jpg

The coach for the local college football team brought this 3" medallion in a few weeks ago to have it made into a 4'x4' banner to drape behind him for a TV interview they were giving for the local TV station.

When he came in and handed it to me I was standing there admiring it. All of the sudden our smart allecky receptionist (knowing my coin addiction) hands me a tissue and says "Wipe your chin. It's not one of your coins!" <_<

The coach looked at us like we were crazy! :huh::rolleyes::anitongue:

Wished I'd got a pic of the finished banner, also. :rolleyes:

What really sucked is that when they set the stage area up for the interview, the banner was hung center stage between the girl doing the interview on one side of the stage and the coaches on the other side. Other than a few times when they showed the whole stage area at the beginning and end of the program you never even saw the banner because the cameras were setup to shoot straight in the person's talking faces. :huh:;)

D-man ;)

We spent a few days recently in So. California.

4d70d999-52c0-4585-8389-166319b8dd33.jpg

I thought of Woletrap every time I saw one of these signs.

347b0cb1-f8b3-46d2-af02-e44b22272a90.jpg

This salt and pepper shaker set reminded me of AuntieNae's geocoin.

054e0e65-8eef-4b24-9c71-0db2406727bb.jpg

This seahorse was hanging outside a shop in Santa Barbara. It sure looks like Karma's coin..

4d2c02ba-4ab2-42ed-bc72-4c319d9af619.jpg

How could I not think of the 2007 California micro! :P

I keep forgetting to take a picture but there is a neon sign at a eatery called the 'Staggering Ox' here in Helena, the sign says; "Montana Micros'. I always think coins instead of beer when I see it.

Not visible but on Sirius radio a week or so ago, they were talking about American Idol (a show I've never seen) but my brother and his family always watch, anyhow, they were talking about how that show 'Jumped the Shark' and all I could do was laugh.

I was looking through some artwork by Peter Driben. He was rather famous for doing pin up art style back in the 40's and 50's. Probably the most famous of all. You can see more HERE. I had a serious case of deja vu when I came across this one.

pd38.jpg7f2d7a10-356c-4e59-a28d-9a29a557e5b9.jpg

I then remembered where I saw it before and was amazed to see how close these two pieces of art are alike. From the way her hair flows, to the ear rings, to even the piece in her hair. If I didn't know better I would have thought Peter was a man well before his time in designing GeoCoins. I guess great minds think draw alike.

Yes, she was inspired by! But definite differences!

I looked into several pin-up artists.. and combined the styles of several I liked.

If you look more closely, you can find several things from other GREAT pin up artists incorporated into that design as well! Let me know if you can spot them all! :anitongue:

(Particularly Vargas)

Great eye!!!

I forgot to point out.... You should see a little Jessica Rabbit in there too... shes always been a favorite character, and was one of the reasons I began to notice 'pin up art' YEARS ago!

Edited by CinemaBoxers

I looked into several pin-up artists.. and combined the styles of several I liked.

If you look more closely, you can find several things from other GREAT pin up artists incorporated into that design as well! Let me know if you can spot them all! :anitongue:

Great eye!!!

Yes I have noticed the differences. She is sitting on an ammo can, holding a GPS, and has boots on. Is that enough to call it an original piece of art?

Edited by pghlooking

Should one have to study a picture to see a difference in the two like the back of a cartoon magazine? Seems like clip art at least at the very least, that is if the original was authorized.

Kinda like a Jelly Belly Jelly Bean? :anitongue:

Kinda silly to try and hijack a thread to start a fight... you don't buy my coins anyways - I wouldn't let it worry you! <_<

If ya don't like something.. don't buy it, trade it, etc.

Nuff said...

Edited by CinemaBoxers

Great eye!!!

Yes I have noticed the differences. She is sitting on an ammo can, holding a GPS, and has boots on.

Wow.. I noticed some penguin coins that are black and white.. that seems pretty close to the real thing.. I didn't notice you crabbing about those.. Different art is different art...

But.. back on topic... That sheep is hilarious... I'm gonna have to get one of those coins... If anyone has one to trade... <_<

Who has that copyright on penguins?