Corp of Engineers destroying marks?

StripeMark

This last weekend I was hunting for survey markers around a huge wildlife refuge and reservoir area developed by the US Corp of Engineers in the 1970's. At nine of the NGS survey markers locations, the NGS marker was not found. But the funny thing is that at almost the exact same measured locations were USCE markers. And at all the locations, it doesn't look as though the area or landscape has been disturbed (but then I suppose it has been 30+ years and vegitation grows back fairly fast).

I'm wondering what you think....... In developing the area, the USCE must have destroyed the NGS markers and then placed their own at the same locations? And if so, they didn't bother to notify the NGS that their markers were destroyed?

....just thought it was kind of wierd!

... wondering what you think....... In developing the area, the USCE must have destroyed the NGS markers and then placed their own at the same locations? And if so, they didn't bother to notify the NGS that their markers were destroyed?

....just thought it was kind of wierd!

If the ACOE marks replaced the NGS marks were the NGS marks truly destroyed or is the funcationality still there?

The NGS database does not show them as destroyed. It just seems that the USCE pulled out the NGS markers and placed their own.

Just thought it was weird and wondered if anyone else has seen something like this around other reservoirs built by the Corp? Reservoirs is all we have in Missouri....I don't think there are any actual natural lakes like my home state of Minnesota.

Edited by StripeMark

The NGS database does not show them as destroyed. It just seems that the USCE pulled out the NGS markers and placed their own.

Just thought it was weird and wondered if anyone else has seen something like this around other reservoirs built by the Corp? Reservoirs is all we have in Missouri....I don't think there are any actual natural lakes like my home state of Minnesota.

Stripemark,

You haven't shown us enough to do any checking, but why do you no think that these USCE marks are not the original marks in the NGS database. NGS uses USCE and vice versa as needed.

The corps is not going to waste their time pulling a good mark to put in an equal mark.

CallawayMT

For example, here is one that I documented fairly well I thought....... JD1440

The disk type, the date, and the stamping are all wrong. And the location is off by about 26 feet.

See: http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=jd1440

I suppose that it is possible that by the mid-1970's, these were already destroyed somehow and the Corps just placed their own markers where they knew NGS markers were at one time......... don't know.

Edited by StripeMark

I agree with your final statement. I think that when the USCE came through to do their survey (or build the dam or whatever it was that caused them to be there), if they couldn't find an existing station they set a new one near it. The probably keep their own list of bench marks so they have the information on those marks, and either forgot or didn't bother to submit to the NGS (they may not have met NGS criteria, for instance).

The original marks may still remain if you look hard enough. They are not necessarily destroyed, just not found by the survey parties who set the new marks.