The REAL Virtual "WOW factor"

So virtual listing has gone the way of the Dodo. So what. This isn't a thread to mourn lost choices.

Toward the end they were only approving virtual caches on wow factor which proved to be tedius, I'm sure. BUT, a very few virts actually DO deliver.

This past week, The Snoogstress and I visited a virtual that blew every other virtual I've visited away and most other caches I've logged as well hands down.

Stingray City - Grand Caymen Islands

ebd695e2-45f1-4c8e-9a7a-d55b04c26404.jpg

I'm going to title that shot, "Human Shield." ;);)

These rays have been hand fed in this remote spot for over 20 years. They are very gentle and fun to interact with. It was quite a moving experience that was over far too quickly. If we had time, we would have liked to go out there again. I think, if Steve Irwin had gotten his stingray footage here, he'd still be alive.

I can think of only a few other virts that I've visited that had even a little wow factor, but nothing at all that even approached this level of WOW.

So, please give a link to some virts you've visited that you feel had REAL "WOW factor."

Edited by Snoogans

We were supposed to go there on our honeymoon but it was too windy -- they wouldn't let us. ;)

M Cubed Museum is a local favorite. Years after I logged it, I meet people who ought to have heard of it but haven't, and they're thrilled when they go to see it.

The web page doesn't have many details, and I don't want to spoil the location. But it is easy to find on Google with a few simple words from the cache page. Here's a hint: it makes space invaders look young.

Great thread idea, BTW. I've thought about a similar thread for cool micros.

Edited by Dinoprophet

A couple come to mind:

Rush Hour we came at it from above, and at night and had a defininte whoa! moment when we saw the full scope of the artwork. The gallery doesn't do this one justice.

I never would have discovered an oasis full of penguins, flamingos, and other exotic birds living behind the Flamingo Hotel if I hadn't gone looking for this cache on my first trip to Las Vegas. I stop in for a refresher every time I visit the city.

MLF5 Choo Choo proves that other people are as obsessed about their interests as some of us are about caching.

I have my favorites perma-linked in my signature line in a bookmark list. Here is the link again.

My Favorite Virtual Caches

All of the top 6 are incredible.

I think my "1B" choice may actually be my favorite. Delicate Arch in Arches National Park was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. We cannot wait to go back and make that hike in the evening. Ironically, we were just talking about it again last night.

Edited to add my favorite photo of me of all time.

cf52faf0-7482-4786-ac1d-2d703c3daa95.jpg

Edited by mtn-man

True. WOW factor is tough. Of the 54 Virtuals that I've done, 4 stand out as WOW. Problem is that I'd been to two of them before so I knew what to expect. (Yes, I've been to Delicate Arch. When I went to Arches, WOW! But been there, done that.)

My favorites?

I Love Lucy

Lake of the Clouds Hut

Last stop for a weary traveler

The Empire Strikes Back

With honorable mentions for the unexpected:

Busman's Holiday

Central Park Guardian

Have to agree with mtnman - without a doubt - so far - Delicate Arch.

Worth the effort to hike up there and then an emotional turn around the corner to see probably the most famous arch in the US.

51af616d-66e9-44f8-8c3c-0ab3db2990da.jpg

Other virtuals in Arches Natl. Park are wonderful too including The Bowl which requires a climb up one of the fins to find the deep hole at the top. This is the view across the park from the top.

16259641-e8d6-4058-a3db-15799a25f11c.jpg

And this is the climb. Delicate we would have done regardless. The Bowl - nope- never would have climbed the fin but for the cache.

be37e8aa-e704-4891-ba75-eb7c7b73f9c1.jpg

For us the beauty of the National Parks coupled with some great virtual caches makes an all around great family vacation and learning experience for the kids. We're off the CA in a few weeks. Hoping the virtuals in the parks there are as wonderful as others we have seen.

Edited by GPX Navigators
Thought about this for a few days and remembered this one. Whitney Pockets is in the middle of the desert. A stone and concrete dam out in the desert with no water source nearby - Built by folks that speculated it would fill with rare but occasional downpours. It does but all too rarely.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...92-41c1f7f9de56

Check out the gallery.

Dr. Webe & The Ski Bum put out some great caches. I've done several of theirs. (Their NASA Tracking Station cache is a favorite of mine.) I've considered doing that virt a time or two, but never had the time when I was in the area.

Edited by Snoogans

We've found lots of neat virtuals, but in my opinion the only virtual that had a real WOW factor and made us go WOW was The Echo Chamber in Savannah, Georgia. When we first got there, we didn't think much of it and thought it was pretty lame, until we overheard someone explaining it there and actually tried it ourselves and it was a truely unexpected and magnificant WOW! Nothing else has compared since.

For a Scenic Virtual, "Canyon de Chelly -- Spider Rock Overlook" was fantastic. Seeing awesome scenery and Indian cliff dwellings was incredible. :(

For a different kind of Scenic Virtual, I liked "Got Your Buggy" at the Great Sand Dunes National Monument in Colorado. ;)

For a Historical Virtual, I really liked "SD Historical 1890." I learned a lot and saw some neat stuff. :o

The most moving Virtual cache was the "Manzanar Virtual" where the Japanese Internment camp was during WWII. :shocked:

For one that is just a "WOW," :( you can hardly beat the amazing "Salvation Mountain."

Cload Gate aka The Bean

What made this one fun and a "wow" for me was the logging requirement. There are some pretty cool photos posted for this virt.

I thought about listing this one as well.

I actually visited this virtual without logging it. (or posting a DNF :shocked: ) I was on a 'special date' with my non-caching wife (I couldn't afford to bring the caching one as well. :( ) and on the way to the restaurant I mentioned that I'd like to stop by this virtual. Once we got there she said 'Okay you've seen it, let's go.'

But, but, but…! (sigh) Yes, dear. :o

I did find it, I just couldn't log it.

Cload Gate aka The Bean

What made this one fun and a "wow" for me was the logging requirement. There are some pretty cool photos posted for this virt.

I thought about listing this one as well.

I actually visited this virtual without logging it. (or posting a DNF :shocked: ) I was on a 'special date' with my non-caching wife (I couldn't afford to bring the caching one as well. :( ) and on the way to the restaurant I mentioned that I'd like to stop by this virtual. Once we got there she said 'Okay you've seen it, let's go.'

But, but, but…! (sigh) Yes, dear. :o

I did find it, I just couldn't log it.

Wow, I didn't even know this was a virtual! I saw this during the summer. I still have those pics somewhere... I'll have to log this.

Been up on Capulin a couple of times, back before I knew about Geocaching. The view is awesome. Planning on doing 'Stingray City' this summer when the wife and I go a cruise for our 20th. Hillside Cache near Silverton, CO is beautiful. But again, it was before I knew about Geocaching.

Other than that, I haven't done a virtual with any wow factor. Historical significance yes but no wow factor.