Serial Interface

Beer Baron 007

I'm trying to hook my GPSr up to my laptop, but the only port that appears to be remotely compatible is the serial connector for a monitor. My eTrex Legend came with a power/data cable that has a female connector at the other end. The port on my laptop is also female. hmmm :mad:

Is the solution as simple as buying a male/male adaptor, or am I missing something here? :D

If you have a 9 pin connector on your laptop - it is probably a serial interface. If it is a 15 pin then it is for a monitor only.

I am assuming you have a fairly new laptop with no serial port and only USB. Do waht sbell says and get yourself a usb to serial connector - many places on the internet to get those for around $10 plus shipping. You local computer store may also have one but may cost more.

StarBrand:

Nope, my laptop is absolutely **ancient** by today's standards. I'm on something called an ACER Travelmate230. It keeps working (sort of)well, so I've never had it replaced.

The adaptor that came with my eTrex Legend has a 9-pin serial, but is female. Looks like the type of interface used for a computer monitor with a regular desktop comp, but is also female.

My original thought was to buy a 9pin adaptor that is male at both ends, but if the serial/USB will also work (and is cheaper) I'll go that route.

StarBrand:

Nope, my laptop is absolutely **ancient** by today's standards. I'm on something called an ACER Travelmate230. It keeps working (sort of)well, so I've never had it replaced.

The adaptor that came with my eTrex Legend has a 9-pin serial, but is female. Looks like the type of interface used for a computer monitor with a regular desktop comp, but is also female.

My original thought was to buy a 9pin adaptor that is male at both ends, but if the serial/USB will also work (and is cheaper) I'll go that route.

Ok - yes - that model does have a serial port. Get the Gender adapter - those go for around $5 to $10 from local computer stores.

StarBrand:

Ok - yes - that model does have a serial port. Get the Gender adapter - those go for around $5 to $10 from local computer stores.

According to the User's Guide which is strangely still available on Acer's site, that is not a serial port, it's the port to plug in an external monitor.

Get the Serial/USB adapter.

Edited by sbell111
After looking at the manual I agree. However, the OP strongly implied it was a 9 pin port and not a 15 pin port. Big difference.

Get the USB to Serial canle.

Even if it was some sort of wierd backwards serial port, I'd get the USB to serial cable before I bought the serial to serial cable. This laptop isn't going to last forever and the USB adapter cable will likely be needed for it's replacement. Edited by sbell111
After looking at the manual I agree. However, the OP strongly implied it was a 9 pin port and not a 15 pin port. Big difference.

Get the USB to Serial canle.

Even if it was some sort of wierd backwards serial port, I'd get the USB to serial cable before I bought the serial to serial cable. This laptop isn't going to last forever and the USB adapter cable will likely be needed for it's replacement.

Indeed - a good point.

NEW ISSUE:

Wow, y'all are good! Upon arriving home from the office, I checked out what you folks were good enough to determine for me already - that is a 15-pin monitor interface on my laptop and not a 9-pin serial.

Since the serial won't work on Acer, the USB seems to me to be the logical way to go. Unfortunately, theLegend is only listed on the spec sheet as serial. Is this just the standard connection, and it will work with a USB, or am I looking at getting creative with the soldering gun?

NEW ISSUE:

Wow, y'all are good! Upon arriving home from the office, I checked out what you folks were good enough to determine for me already - that is a 15-pin monitor interface on my laptop and not a 9-pin serial.

Since the serial won't work on Acer, the USB seems to me to be the logical way to go. Unfortunately, theLegend is only listed on the spec sheet as serial. Is this just the standard connection, and it will work with a USB, or am I looking at getting creative with the soldering gun?

No - the cable we are talking about sort of translates a USB connection into a standard old style serial connector. Plugs into the serial port and on the other end has a 9 pin serial connection.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%...9&sku=26886

Just get the Serial/USB converter (adapter cable). Load drivers for cable/adapter before plugging adapter in....

If you look around, adapters are available for as little as $5 and up to $50... Mosty expensive is not always best. Mine cost me $15.

Easiest solution to find COM port is to go into "Control Panel" >> Select "System " icon >> Select "Hardware" >> Select "Device Manager" >> Scroll down to "PORTS" (COM & LPT) and see what new "port" pops up when you plug in USB/SERIAL adapter cable.

Use this COM port number in "what ever" software you use to communicate with your GPS...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

If you also use a Palm with that computer this can cause headaches. You may need to go to the system tray (I think that's what the list of icons in the lower right hand corner of the screen is called) and exit the Hot Sync application there. Otherwise your computer might not be able to see the GPSr.

If you also use a Palm with that computer this can cause headaches. You may need to go to the system tray (I think that's what the list of icons in the lower right hand corner of the screen is called) and exit the Hot Sync application there. Otherwise your computer might not be able to see the GPSr.
Rather than exiting the application, I just uncheck the 'Local USB' and 'Local USB' options while I'm downloading to my GPSr.

a54e3bb9-2b04-4cb5-b28f-a33e01a65660.jpg

From what I've heard about Vista, you might want to hold off a little while longer.

Been running it for about 6 months...........

Have installed in on about 150 computers thus far.

Clean install with lots of memory works great. Upgrade install on older PC - not so good.

Does allow more flexible control of serial ports - that is if you still have one on your PC.